[Reflection 1] Pick a P

:globe_with_meridians: Italiano , Português , Español , Français , العربية , Türkçe , 日本語

This week we start reflecting on the core ideas of Creative Learning by playing with the 4P’s.

Which one among the 4P’s (Projects, Passion, Peers and Play) are you particularly curious or excited about, and why?

Pick one, and share your thoughts by replying to this post.
We look forward to hearing from you!

7 Likes

I am curious about Projects
i would like to see this concept integrated in my work routine as a teacher, that is why the ins and outs of this aspect is of a great importance to me

5 Likes

Eu fiquei curiosa sobre o Pensar Brincando. Pois é um tema que utilizo muito na preparação e na aplicação das minhas aulas. Como uso o LEGO para dar aula, sempre penso nesse tema como objetivo de aprendizagem ao utilizar recursos alternativos em sala de Aula e como o LEGO pode ser um fator positivo para a criança Pensar e Aprender de maneira divertida, legal e que pode se tornar também uma brincadeira

3 Likes

The ‘P’ I’m most interested in is Play.

I work with a global group of talented, high-performance young people who are very focused on being successful.

Looking for ways to encourage them to be more playful in their approach to learning and more willing to allow themselves to experiment, take risks and learn through failure.

Looking forward to exploring all four elements over the next few weeks.

Regards

Stephen

7 Likes

I am interested in all four, but PLAY resonates the most. I work mostly with teachers who are so passionate about their students but often feel so overwhelmed by increasing demands, testing requirements, etc. So many know that they need to bring more play into their classrooms, but they feel stuck. I want to find ways to encourage them to make that crucial transition.

8 Likes

La passione è la molla che mi spinge a fare scelte professionali e a provare nuove esperienze. Ora ho fatto creare agli alunni un albero di Natale con un circuito elettrico.

6 Likes

I’m most interested in Play. I must admit my background is a bit different, as I deal mostly with adult learners, and often times people are very focused on the task and the outcome, and play takes a backseat. But i guess my question is on the value of play for play’s sake, and how we can get more people to understand that value.

4 Likes

I’m interested in Play as I’m convinced we need to play more in class to increase a friendly environment.

4 Likes

I am most interested in Play. I feel that, at least in the school district I work in, we have taken the aspect of creative play out of the classrooms. We focus too much time on testing and meeting standards and objectives to attain specific data points, that we have forgotten what it was like to be children at school. It’s important for kids to have time to explore their surroundings, play with their peers, and to use the creative side of their brain.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to and curious about Play. As a math teacher I’m always looking to instill curiosity in students. Problem-solving, iterating, mistakes, low-stakes opportunities are all found in play experiences ans I’m all for it.

4 Likes

I am interested in Projects I would like to develop this concept in collaboration with the scratch community. Discover new creative ways to insert it in my daily work.

4 Likes

I would say projects as I always have a couple of projects on the go. They help feed further imagination, collaboration and help with poor mental health.

3 Likes

The P that interest me to most is Play. Play is the one P that every child has access to.

3 Likes

La “p” que más interés me genera es la de Peers / Pares. El proceso creativo se complementa con el otro, con los pares. Si tenemos “pares” podemos potenciar proyectos (projects), podemos jugar (play)

4 Likes

I am most interested in passion. Although I easily integrate creative play into my own personal life, I struggle to inspire my college students to consider learning creatively. I have lots of A students and very few X students (Resnick, 2017), but I know that students have a passion for my subject. I teach early childhood education courses and most of my students are actively working in the field and are very passionate about their work. I feel like the breakdown is that because I am grading them (which I hate) or because this is a college course, they are less willing to be playful in their assignments and projects. They mainly seek to do what will get them an A grade and they avoiding risk-taking in their college work. However, I think they are far more creative in their professional work with children. How can I help them transfer this playful and creative attitude to their coursework?

9 Likes

Passion!

I teach 3 semester-long high school courses – intro to programming (we use Scratch!), programming with python, and physical computing (mostly arduino based). In Scratch, I’ve had a lot of luck giving kids project prompts that allow for enough freedom for them to build what they want, but also enough structure to assure they are meeting course standards. With this structure, kids really find a lot of ownership in the work, and get really passionate about their projects. However, I am REALLY struggling with the structure/freedom balance in my python course, and also somewhat in my physical computing course. As a result, in these courses kids are more likely to just do work for the grade/do the bare minimum, because I haven’t been able to find ways to give the kids ownership while still supporting them in building skills. No passion! This feels like such a tragedy to me – to have kids leave the intro course feeling that programming is a place for expression, problem solving, tinkering and passion, and then lose that. I’ll be curious to see what experiences other high school teachers are having in this area!

7 Likes

I am quite curious about Peers. I struggle to find ways for my students to work together on projects. I myself find I am working alone, either on my own creative projects, or even amongst my peers. Not to say I don’t want to, I just haven’t found the opportunity, or have not found someone (or a group of people), willing to take a risk and try something new. In some classes, students work together, or share their results with others (“hey check out what I just made”), in some students keep mostly to themselves (or their phones). I don’t necessarily want to formalize the process, but rather invite more opportunity for students to share their process of creativity with each other, helping to spur new ideas and share knowledge.

7 Likes

I am interested in knowing more about the projects. From the point of selection of the project to how it is developed.

3 Likes

“Part of the motivation for change is economic. Today’s workplace is undergoing a radical transformation. Many jobs are disappearing as computers and robots take over routine tasks (and even nonroutine tasks)–and almost all jobs are changing as people and workplaces must continually adapt to a constant flow of new technologies, new sources of information, and new communication channels.” Lifelong Kindergarten, pg. 3

I find it encouraging that the secret elixir to our ability to adjust to the digital economy is as simple as learning or relearning how to play. It is a competency that is innate to human beings. So, there is hope for us all.

4 Likes