[Reflection 1] Pick a P

Also definitely going to read this! Thank you for the link Shoshannah :D

haha I never knew that about Lego! Thank you for the fun factoid Ole :D

I cannot resist the temptation to answer your question with an example of what PLAY looks like when you´re 72 years old :upside_down_face:! A drawing in a recent Scratch project of mine: Just playing around with1000 lines

6 Likes

Beautiful. Creative learning and learning through play come in so many shapes and forms. Will you share your Scratch tag?

1 Like

Thank you!
Sorry, it was my intention to do that but I´ve forgotten how to. But I just looked at my Scratch-profile and saw that you found me =)

1 Like

Just a few weeks ago, I was teaching in Bogota (Colombia), and we had a “Class’ projects” there. Honestly, it was one of my favourite classes to be taught. However, when we taught to high school students, it was SUPER HARD to do it. Do not ask me, but it was TOTALLY DIFFERENT from primary or kindergarten students…

Play is the most curious to me because through play I become inspired to move forward with the creation of projects.

1 Like

The most interesting P for me is Projects, because our school embraced Project-Based Learning and I found it to be a powerful way to engage a wide variety of learners in the activities. What remains less clear to me is how to accomplish the assessment that is necessary for reporting to families in an efficient manner. Our school has trimesters, so three reporting periods. Before the pandemic I met with each class twice for 40 minutes in each 8-day academic cycle. I found that it was reasonable to accomplish one project per trimester. Projects always involved creating for an audience outside the classroom. All of the assessment was rubric-based, starting with stages of formative self- and peer- assessment. Projects ended with summative assessment by me using the same rubric. Are you doing Project-Based Learning for which you could suggest an approach to assessment that has worked for you?

1 Like

Peers … commmunity is a key word for learning …

1 Like

Passion I think is the most important of the four, with it there is the drive to explore and learn more beyond what is expected, without it students will only just do the bare minimum to demonstrate understanding (they don’t actually need to understand it, just demonstrate it).

Passion can be tempered by barriers-to-entry such as a lack of self-confidence or a desire not to show-up peers. So it’s important not just to communicate potential results of projects but also that those who created these examples are not themselves extraordinary – that all students can create brilliiant things as long as they persist.

And maybe there’s a fifth P there: Persistence. Because without it, a student isn’t likely to stray beyond the required learning, or may even fail to meet the basic requirements. To succeed, they must persist.

4 Likes

I would take the Passion one definitely. Why ? Because the other Ps can only be mobilized thanks to people who believe in it, are curious and/or animate the debate, with questions and energy. Passion is the fuel that will make the engine work

3 Likes

Projects is what interests me the most. I’m always looking for new ways to do things with the students & new project ideas is exactly what I need. :)

Hi Beka!

I love the game based learning approach and it was one of my favourite projects to learn about them. I hope that this may be of help to you:
https://www.q2l.org/about/

PASSION - PEERS

In one of the subjects that I teach we work in a serious game project for primary school. We work with the 4ps and we have them in mind to design our games.

I think that those we can find the biggest challenge and those where I think I need to learn more about are:

• PASSION, because they have some level of freedom but the learning objectives are written
  • PEERS because I feel that sometimes, for several reasons, working like a team isn’t benefiting all of them equally
1 Like

Which one among the 4P’s (Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play) are you particularly curious or excited about, and why?

I love teaching STEM, PBL, and giving student choice so these 4 P’s seem to fit what I already like to do. I am excited about all 4 P’s and how they will be used together in the classroom.

1 Like

Thank you for sending that link Isabel! It’s so interesting to learn about the different educational things people are trying :D

Could you tell me more about what you find interesting about this approach? I’m really curious about your perspective!

I’m also curious: They mention being not just game-based, but also narrative-focused. Does this relate to play like role playing games?

1 Like

I am most curious about peers. How can we emphasize collaboration over competition? How can we ensure all voices are valued and all work is shared? I want to think about ways to develop a school culture that cultivates learning as a social process. How do we de-privatize learning to celebrate growth, including success and struggles?

4 Likes

Hi again Beka!

I keep coming back to your post, but I cannot define play - it´s such a broad concept. What if we´d narrow it down a bit?

I would love to know how other people attempt to define creative play!

They are all great but I am most curious and excited about Peers. I am interested in more community driven projects with larger groups working towards a unified goal. In addition to Mitchel Resnick and his learning spiral I was fortunate to stumble across another one created by the late Luversa Sullivan. Hers is inspired by and in my opinion improves the creative learning spiral by adding another stage called give back. I think this is a great starting point for more unified projects without taking away the sense of ownership that is so important for Passion.

2 Likes

I’d rather choose project, because the experience I got from my learning journey, is the project I did like in college, workplace, etc. It helps me a lot to explore deeper through my curiosity. I also maintain some points that “I learn by doing it” which makes me sure that project is the most exciting thing to do.

1 Like