LCL

[Wk 6 - Activity] Give P's a Chance

Ihave benefited greatly from this follow-up and participation in this cycle of learning,starting with the way of thinking about everything about me and how to benefit from it in life or education,my thinking has become open,now i think to share this benefit in the near future!
BIG THANKS ALL !

love it! that is a test that makes sense to me!

I use the Special Topics class to teach about maker spaces and fab labs in the Internet Systems Development course. Usually, I teach about IoT and let them develop projects that they care about. We start with some design thinking and then they decide their projects.
This semester I changed it a little bit.
I let 2 students from another course (Environmental Management) to attend the class and together with the students of the System Development decide about projects for a garden on the campus with IoT devices.

They decide about the projects and use the fab lab to develop the solutions.

I consider our fab lab as a kindergarten for them to try and experiment freely. The “instructionist” part of the class takes about 10 minutes and then they go to work (3+ hours).
We drink coffee, listen to music, talk and share information and suggestions among the groups.

The evaluation is going to be in a “maker faire” format.

One learning experience I facilitate as an indie game developer is the community of level creators for our game. As part of that facilitation, we:

1. Build and iterate on a level editor
  2. Moderate the level sharing community, which by default includes comments and ratings
  3. Facilitate interaction with other level editors, in the Steam Workshop and on our community forums/chat

Players use the level editor to make and share levels. Often times the complexity of the levels created astounds us, given the simple tools we make available.

• Mechanical Calculator, where a player used our “trigger areas” and “moving platforms” to create a working mechanical calculator

• Rockin’ Town, a level where the characters in the game are all playing instruments

In interviewing players about their contributions over time, they are motivated by different things.

Some want to create mroe difficult levels than are available in-game by default–for this reason we added a requirement that players must beat their own level before they can submit it to the workshop.

Others want to tell a story with their levels, one player even going so far as to create a dialogue system using 3d primitives to draw out text to create cutscenes. I was astonished to see the lengths they went to tell a story with the simple tools we provided!

Still others want to push the limits of the editor itself, like the mechanical calculator above. They love seeing our reactions to their hacks.

We recently made multiplayer level creation and testing possible, and this has widened the walls of our level editor to include creating social experiences. Level creators design environments with different types of points of conflict and interactions. On the Peers front, we recently held a community playtest of new multiplayer levels. It was a blast, and level creators got a lot of useful feedback on their work and ideas for new projects.

My partner on the game and I spoke about the 4 P’s when we did a retrospective and planning recently, and it gave us some ideas on how to extend the level editor:

• Projects - we have a very low floor (15,000 levels created, some of which have just a few enemies dragged out in to an empty arena) and decently high ceiling (by creatively arranging the triggers and moving platforms, level creators can create interesting behaviors). But something we can do much better at is widening the walls for our tools. For future releases, we have begun thinking about:
    • Story creation tools - the ability to add computer-generated voices to the game (a theme used throughout the game), display text on-screen, and customize the look of in-game characters to give them more unique personalities.
    • Sound and music - new level elements to trigger music transitions, sound effects and musical notes
    • Art and drawing - a large-pixel texture editor that allows players to create their own textures for 3D objects, and a voxel editor to allow players to more easily create voxel structures in-game
    • **Logic and creating behaviors ** - we’re thinking about how to allow players to build logic in to the game more easily. Possibly something like Rec Room’s physically embodied circuits, or a block editor (similar to the approach I used in the VR blocks-based coding project for week 2, just not in VR!)
  • Peers - right now the Steam Workshop system doesn’t support or encourage remixing. In some cases, there’s been some conflict when level creators would create levels perceived to be based on ideas from another creator. In other cases, though, players have collaborated on community levels, passing around the level file and each creating different parts of it! <3 We would love the workshop to be a place of collaboration, so it’s worth thinking about how we can encourage this sort of sharing and remixing. Maybe there’s something we can do around messaging for that.
  • Play - for our multiplayer level editor, we wanted to make sure the time between making a change and trying it out was as short as possible, so we added a one-click “play on a server” button that lets you instantly test your level out with your peers. In another instance, we added functionality to the object inspector that allow you to visualize and trigger the level hazards in realtime:
  • Passion - passion drives so many of these creations, and one thing we can do is listen to the things that level creators and players are passionate about (like storytelling, art creation) and making those more fully supported use cases for the level editor. In that way, passion can carve the way to achieving ease-of-use for a wider assortment of project types.

I’m so glad I took this course, thank you @tarmelop and everyone else on the LCL team for facilitating! It’s been a really fun month and I’ve had a blast talking with LCL community members in our calls and connecting as part of the Peers unit.

Week 6 in the LCL Community!

This course and the great knowledge shared in this community, has already changed the approach I have when playing / creating projects with my daughter and I am sure will be of great used for future teaching and workshops. The for Ps have allowed me to value the whole process my daughter goes through when playing, tinkering or working on any project. It has made me aware of the spiral she goes through when attempting anything and because of this I am now able to be allow and encourage for this learning processes.
I will try to apply in the future the project based approach, sometimes allowing learners freedom to explore and to give opportunities for different ways of learning

Thank you very much!!

Grateful to the people who have put enough effort to bring bunches of teachers around the world in this learning platform. Thank you so much LCL team for your endless support in developing new ideas of teaching and learning through this online free course! Knowledge and skills are always unlimited and never ended. We all add new learnings, ideas, skills and many more professional experiences in our day to day treasure of knowledge many ways! LCL was one them and I hope we all have developed some good ideas about 21st learning scenarios, especially creative ways of using technology in this current era. I have developed a good sense about the Ps that helped me to reshape my ideology and gave me some new dimensions about my teaching and learning career. Thank you again LCL team and all the participants who were in this online learning platform from different countries! All take care and keep in touch.

I love that you are thinking about passing the information you have learned on. What kinds of activities do you think would work for the group you want to present to? Do you need any resources or supports?

First of all, a huge thank you for giving the chance to meet people all around the world, share our experience (while rethinking and remixing) and learn from others:woman_astronaut:

In our computer clubhouse/coding workshop in Istanbul, kids develop their projects and games using Scratch. They are motivated by the idea of developing their own personal game. Since most of them do not have PCs at home, they come to the clubhouse and try to make the most out of it. They learn totally new subjects, make new friends of different ages+genders+learning difficulties, share their knowledge&story. They learn that it is okay to fail, to ask for help.

In Turkey, the current education system is based on algorithmic success like most of the developing countries. In an environment forcing kids to memorize stuff&take tests&classify themselves accordingly; focusing on the inner unique self and working passionately on projects(without the FOMO) are really important and rare. Most of the ‘coding’ lectures given now are mostly conducted with a semi-standard learning approach. As a facilitator and a lifelong student, I have been trying to put my 4P lenses on in order to trigger any possible changes.

After my first LCL experience, I will change/remove the order of pre-practicing, lecturing and exercising.

In practices, I will be focusing more on how to widen walls. I will try to map the required exercises for particular skills in a more modular way and give these modules as ingredients. Kids will be free to create anything with those ingredients. I will be continuing to share what I learned here with my friends, professors, and students.

Reading the resources in LCL gave me a new vocabulary, new way to express the concepts and the ideas that I have been thinking about. I believe we built libraries/bridges/protocols among all LCL members with your help.

I greatly appreciate your time and effort. I’m super excited and inspired again and again.

Thank you

Merve

A photo with my students from the workshop:

Hi Leslie

I was thinking of activities that allow them to go through tinkering with feedback from the peers. Specifically I wanted them to think about re designing a solution or creating a model of a problem and asking feedback while developing a corresponding solution to the problem. I use an I like I wish I wonder feedback protocol that our project use as a team (we train the teachers to use the protocol with students) I wonder if there are specific resources that you can think/recommend.

I really like the Maker Centered Learning book by Edward Clap et al.

Thank you for the heads up are you implementing at a specific grade level?

De outra forma, que não a proposta por Mitchel sempre trabalhei com os quatro Ps. Primeiramente porque sou apaixonada pelo que faço e o faço com muita Paixão. Segundo porque meu trabalho com estudantes sempre é voltado a Projetos, sejam eles de semanas ou meses. Depois, porque para realizar estas atividades, sempre trabalhamos em pares, considerando os estudantes ou até mesmo a troca entre mim e os colegas professores e por fim, o pensar brincando, que estamos constantemente desenvolvendo quando realizamos nossas atividades com empenho e carinho, brincando trocando e aprendendo uns com os ourtos.

I’d like to change my lessons in elementary school in addition to “play”ing. So I’m going to admit and praise every students’making and to prepare many of materials that students can choose and create in their free mind.