LCL

[Wk 5 - Reflection] Playpens and Playgrounds

I wrote about my childhood toys before. I introduced my favorite plastic models. Now I found playing with plastic models or any other existing toys were like playing in a playpen. There are only fixed and limited manuals/rules. These processes are much more efficient, however less creativity and agility.

According to Resnick (2017), Danish has two different words for play. The word spille is used to describe the types of play that have a defined structure and sets of rules, like playing sports or playing a video game, whereas the word lege is used to describe play that is imaginative and open-ended, without an explicit goal. It seems appropriate that the Danish toy company is named LEGO, a contraction of lege with godt, meaning play well.

In our surroundings, I feel there are so many things as a playpen. These are also existed in trendy programming and robot making curricula because these only provide the way people traces the codes that were taught. Do we image fantasy? Do we create, play, share and reflect? If we do not and just proceed with manuals/rules, it can not cultivate creative learning. I would like to enjoy the way what I did in the kindergarten. I think the kindergarten approach is a good model for all ages learners.

Reference
Resnick, M. (2017). Lifelong Kindergarten. Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play. The MIT Press.

Adults may have forgotten the Creative Learning Spiral since childhood. I also revived this spiral again after joining LCL community. Interestingly, my 8 years old daughter is faster to create and reshape something than me. She made some creatures with blocks/crews, sewed the clothes for dolls, and made scratch projects during I was thinking. It was one of discoveries through LCL.

Did you give your EV3 students any constraints at all? What project led to self-parkin car vs tag game? Did you have any students that were lost, and if so how did you encourage them to play in your playground?

If students seem to be aimless with the EV3s, I usually ask them about their own interests. For example, I had a student who said he did not know what to work on, what challenge to solve. I asked and found that he was really into soccer. I suggested that he create a robot that could control a ball down a field and get it into a goal. That got his imagination going, and he created a field and a prototype robot. When testing it, he found that it was not handling the ball effectively, so we ended up figuring out how to incorporate a proximity sensor so that the robot would kind of follow the ball and handle it with greater control. This student learned quite a lot about engineering, programming, and problem-solving over the course of a quarter-long elective!

Atualmente estou de licença para estudos, então compartilharei experiências desenvolvidas enquanto professora de sala de informática de escola básica.
Os alunos amam quando chega o momento de irem para a sala de informática para brincarem com uma variedade de jogos educativos que temos disponíveis na escola percebo o prazer, a motivação e a vontade de acertar as situações problemas dispostas nos jogos, no entanto quando eles são expostos a softwares com características construcionista percebo um maior envolvimento nos projetos desenvolvido por eles o que envolve o compartilhamento e o aprimoramento dos projetos a partir do feedback que recebem dos colegas de classe, então crio que este tipo de atividade sejam atividades de parquinho devido a liberdade de criação, compartilhamento e aperfeiçoamento que existe no brincar.