LCL

[Wk 4 - Activity] Remix Something!

So, the playlists people come up with to show the Top Songs of any year has been quite common on Scratch (love the sound uploading feature with a simple interface).

So, I took one song out, added in my own, but kept the titles of the original songs the same.

Have you seen the Turing Tumbler?

I would like to know if anyone has direct experience with it. I think it looks pretty neat but want to hear feedback before investing my precious budget.

The other thing that comes to mind is the Sound Rebound app from the exploratorium.

1. Keep your ideas in a sketchbook

Documenting your ideas and your projects might seem like a chore. In school classrooms, documentation is often linked to assessment. You need to document your work so that the teacher can assess what you’ve done; that’s not very motivating. But there are other reasons to document your work, whether it’s in a physical sketchbook or an online blog. Through your documentation, you can share your ideas and projects with other people—and get feedback and suggestions from them. It’s also very useful to look back at your own documentation. You can think of documentation as a way of sharing with your future self. Looking at your documentation from past projects is a way to remember how you did something or why you did it the way you did—and also a way to get ideas on how you might do things better (or, at least, differently) in the future.

(Lifelong Kindergarten - Ten tips for the learners)

During the “Scratch Online Workshop for Educators on Unhangout” (Scratch Online Workshop this Friday!) I suggested to use a list to store positions of points to plot as Comma Separated Values and implemented the idea (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/257436059/). However, the project was not documented and difficult to reuse (I used several global variables to implement my block).

My second version was an attempt to make the code reusable. User defined blocks in Scratch don’t support local variables, so when remixing the script of a new block one has to recreate the variables used to implement it. The solutions emerged when I changed my viewpoint from blocks to sprites; i.e. design a sprite (the pen of a plotter) capable of drawing a dot at a point where the coordinates are encoded as CSV. In my second version all variables are local to the sprite. So, if someone finds the code useful it can simply reuse the sprite via the backpack. (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/258597493/). I did pay more attention to the variable names and added a few comments.

Hello I have remixed with my little son a @cyberparra project made during the Scratch online session using PocketCode.

Here our app (touch your screen) https://share.catrob.at/pocketcode/program/69503

With Pocket Code you can write your app as Scratch approach, and also transform and download the app of any Scratch project in your Android device.
Web site PocketCode
https://share.catrob.at/pocketcode/help

Adriano project during Scratch online session

This quote is very interesting. I was working on a journaling practice, here.

I added the cat (of course)! Before there was just the sound, but no cat.

Scratch - COLLAGE MUSCALE (L’Escargot di Matisse)

remix:

thanks @Bice_Rapaccini
Here is my Pocket Code version
https://share.catrob.at/pocketcode/program/68871
:slight_smile:

I haven’t seen this product but I’ve seen prototypes of the same made by college students. I’m so grateful you shared this as it led me to consider in a new way how to remove, add, and combine, dice to make a game accessible with affordances of more complexity! Checking out Sound Rebound now :smiley: Thanks so much for these ideas!

Yes! - but my tripod & camera are at “work” and I’m still weighing pros and cons of different platforms while eliminating possibilities through messy soldering.

The interesting pattern of the keys led to this browser-choking Scratch project.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/259261154/

Hi all!
When I read about this week´s homework, I got afraid about what to remix o re do.
I was very glad that poetry was an option.

I had this Pablo Neruda Poem that many people now and like.

I so, since I like writing, I took the chance to reover the poem but maintain the escence.

So I share it with you and hope you like it :smiley:

¨I dont love you as if you were the sun and the moon and the hole space within,
I love you as close as I am to me.
I love you as the shadow of you swallow me hole.
Thanking you for the air I breathe of you.
I love you without knowing how, when or what.
I love you as it is. Simply from me to you. From me to all of you.
But this in which there is no you or me.
Where we are one.
In the time and space where your smell fells like home and your presence is absolute, this is love.¨

This is my first step of working on Scratch! [can anyone add more affect onto it?

Butterfly brighten the night!

Cool! :smiley:

I like your simplified movements, we can work on that, but definitely better than my wandering…

I also like the mixing of a more percussive note with the ohhhs

About the tempo: I agree on giving some sort of control, maybe even better that actual Scratch sliders could be the possibility of moving the sprites themselves and mapping (say) y position to tempo. Of course, the tempo variable itself can’t be used because it’s global!

I’ll try some of these changes, though I don’t think I’ll have time till wednesday…

One of my favorite things about connecting with peers on a project is how the back and forth helps me and others on the team figure out what it is that they are really trying to say. Some articulations below

F: I like your simplified movements, we can work on that, but definitely better than my wandering…

X: I may have gone too simple with the movement which helps me realize that it’s not simple that I’m after, but clear feedback on which sprite is doing what.

F: I agree on giving some sort of control [for the tempo], maybe even better than actual Scratch sliders could be the possibility of moving the sprites themselves and mapping (say) y position to tempo

X: Agreed. I made a version with sliders. They are ugly and hard to control :frowning:

I like your idea about moving the sprite along the Y axis to change the tempo of each sprite. This approach reminds me of a theremin, how the position of one hand controls the pitch and the position of the other controls the volume.

Love the messy soldering. Do you ever go from breadboard to finished product? I ask because I’m just starting to learn metalsmithing and one of my goals with that is to make some artisan electronics.

This is really amazing!! Early next year, I will be teaching a group of girls who don’t have access to laptops but are interested in programming. I’ve really been wondering how best to go about it. I love that you kept the ‘programmability’ aspect of this cardboard scratch and it has given me a few ideas of projects I can do with them even without having several computers in the room.
My original idea was to have a cardboard Cubetto approach to the class, but this has given me more ideas. Thanks for sharing Carmelo!

Depends on the sense in which you mean “finished”. I really enjoy breadboards and visible jumper wires. When I do reiterate, it’s usually to more mindfully selected wires and breadboards (in terms of colors). For example, I’m working on mini orange boards on a cubed block of myrtle, with only black and white wires. Early iterations become teaching equipment, with lots of learning opportunities in evidence.

Visible wiring to me is evocative of “making learning visible”. In fact, I’ve been inspired by the openness of LCL to be less shy about my art, and to point toward some very “remixy” work I made while collaborating with the authors of MLV. The trail of breadcrumbs I left here seems a path toward more unfinished-ness, but to me, it was a trail leading home. BTW, friends in Cambridge can see this as well as an oil pastel on wood board @HGSE/PZ.

This began with a hand-stitched curriculum:

What are you learning to make in metal smithing, and what do you mean by “finished product”?

Hi David. Thanks for sharing those works. I like exposed wires and electronics too. How postmodern of us!

In addition to making learning visible, this “exposed wires” design aesthetic is important for signaling things like “design for repair” and “design for upgrade.” (My background is in product design, can you tell?)

In the metalsmith course, we are learning the basics of sawing and soldering. While I’ve soldered PCBs and such with an iron or paste+reflow oven, I haven’t used a torch like they do in a jewelry shop. This process is so different from working with electronics. Have you worked with metals?

By “finished product” I mean something that could be handed off to someone else for life. Breadboards are just a little fragile is all. FYI - I’m asking this question bc one of my goals is to make things that are durable and giftable, not because I’m anti breadboard or something. That would be ridiculous.

I was inspired by Maria Teresas animation Harvest Workers from last week. I wanted to give it some interactivity instead of just being an animation.

Had some trouble figuring out the original code, as the functions had italian names and I do not really speak italian :wink: And along the way I seem to have deleted one of the sprites, but in the end I succeded in making it possible to click one of the workers to make him harvest.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/259744315/

Thank you @jenniferissima for your happy cat!! project. I hope you don´t mind me using your lovely cat.
I decided to remix it and created this: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/258373301/

I got inspired by the beautifully drawn cat and thought I could use the same cat and animate it. I changes the background to make it look like the cat was in her house and added a tiny mouse to make a story. this is really a continuation to the original project, it felt like the cat needed to continue her adventures.

Grazie :wink: