LCL

[Wk 3 - Activity] Make Something with Scratch!

Wow, let’s keep remixing:heart_eyes:

Here is a project of mine related to the art of painting.
This is an animation of a picture: I imagined what the painter had seen, so I tried to move figures in a simple story.
I would like to try again with other works, I had fun because I had time to think and realize it.

[Wk 4 - Activity] Remix Something!
Week 4 in the Community!

@mariateresas inspired me :wink:

Thanks…

Hi! I made my project.

A rotating snow-girl draws Sierpinski gasket.
Please enjoy with a Christmas song.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/256843970/

I’m interested in drawing geometric patterns with scratch.

20181026_snow-girl%20draws%20Sierpinski%20gasket

This is the first programming program I give to my grade 11s who are programming in python. (Well, a fractal is one option - they can also draw tessellations or a picture)

I’ve never seen one in Scratch, amazing.

Dragon Book Lode

Last weekend we attended my daughter’s college Parents’ Weekend. We pretty much let her set the agenda. In addition to a restaurant that served just waffles, she also wanted us to experience the local, annual Friends of the Library Book Sale. With all the amazing attractions, we were amused that the Book sale was one of her favorites.

But it made sense, We are a family of Readers! We have bookshelves in nearly every room. While we have embraced e-books, there is something wonderful about holding a book, especially a used book. It’s fun to think of the people that might have shared this book. The treasures of the weekend two older books. The first was my daughter’s prize: a 1940 reference book on Synoptic Meteorology. When she got it back to the dorm, she discovered it was a first edition written by James Stagg - the meteorologist that convince Eisenhower to delay D-day in 1944. Not only that, the first owner was an MIT student living in Atkinson (Senior House). She was very excited to see that she could understand the mathematics in the text.

The second find was a mystery story written by A A Milne for his father. Mystery stories, apparently, were his passion. I have a few books to read first, but I am looking forward to seeing Milne in a new way.

I had some challenges. On one iteration, my dragon appeared to spray dozens of found books across the bottom of the screen. That just didn’t look right! I also attempted to clone the bookshelves individually, but was spending a lot of time staggering the clones so they didn’t overlap and then making sure that the dragon could fit between the shelves. I ended up choosing a fixed array that could move together. Time, time too!

Wow, you did it in Python! Great!

This week I worked on a sort of interactive display of 3 excerpts of poems that share a common element: the concept of infinity. I have always linked those three poems, even if they are in three different languages (Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and from three very different poets.

You can take a look to my project here: Infinity in poems

I have been passionated by poetry since I was 9 years old, so when we started talking about ‘passion’, this week, I automatically came up with the idea of creating something related with poetry. At the same time, since I love to code, I was eager to explore a new language and see how easy/difficult was Scratch, specially thinking in my own son for the future (now he is 3 months old hehe).

The project is still a work in progress, since I haven’t figured out how to do a couple of improvements related with screen size. Definitely the process was iterative: I started by doing the tutorial on Scratch website; as a second step, I started changing the elements of the tutorial to create the structure I had in mind. I went through the building process, adapting my original idea to the elements available in Scratch. Additionally, I went to Scratch website a couple of times to review other projects and get tips on how to hide elements and do transitions.

Probably what made me smile the most was discovering how to transition between two different “screens”, hiding elements. It was confusing at the beginning, so the fact that I invested time in reviewing other projects and tested different commands, and that I was able to get it at the end, made me happy :slight_smile: By the other hand, text editing was sort of frustrating. :confused: I think the fact that I wanted to see those three poems displayed on a single place for the first time, made me persist.

All in all, I love the experience!!

The name of the Scratch programme is “Quick number system” and it is posted in my maths suite.

1. It illustrates PLACE VALUE arithmetic - a difficult concept area for youngsters.
  2. Getting to use the paintbox exactly was troublesome and realizing that the drawings were slow.
  3. It was an extremely good feeling when the project was complete; later I discovered TURBO MODE and hence easy quick drawings. This led to TURBO NUMSYSTEM - also posted.
    The graphical capabilities of Scratch are wonderful and concepts can be assembled dynamically.
    This creation process keeps me, a retired teacher, very stimulated and rewarded.

My twins play with ball

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/257022473/#player

This is the third iteration of a format for scatter plot graphing. The first was with the tennis balls as points and students weren’t able to see which one was theirs.

Here’s the first version, with student data from our straw rockets.

Augusto suggested clones and lists to plot and that makes a lot of sense. I would really like to create a format that would plot from a ‘zero’ in the bottom left of the screen, rather than a 4 quadrant cartesian graph.

How does this relate to passion? I love teaching, science and visual arts. I am fascinated by Giorgia Lupi, who co-authored Dear Data, you can find her on instagram with her name, under #deardata, #observecollectdraw www.giorgialupi.com/

Here is take 3, https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/257290149/
after looking at the great geometric pattern project by @Enitha5 . Woohoo! thanks for the inspiration!

Something I had been thinking about doing for quite long…

A snake game! (beware: you have to turn left-right from the perspective of the snake, Logo-style…)

The idea was brought back to my head thanks to this cool video I discovered thanks to @tarmelop!

I love these recursive patterns in Scratch :smiley: It reminded me of something my partner did around them, and also of this tiny thing I did around that time… Thanks for sharing!

Hi Francisco, I would like to learn more about this challenge… have heard of it before but wasn’t sure what’s expected… :smile:, if you don’t mind explaining…

Sorry folks, I didn’t have enough time to create a project this week on Passion. So, I am willing to share a project created this week by one of my 6 year old student. I helped him a little towards the end, by adding 2 characters, carving out shapes from pictures using a magic wand and making him feel complete by helping connect it to his real life. Here is another he made to make vehicles fly in the air…

Secondly, I would admit, I have played with Scratch quite a lot and I enjoy introducing kids to Scratch and explaining them or helping them out, but didn’t quite sit and explore on my own so that I finish creating a nice story or a game from beginning till end, lols … This was done last year, when I was feeling very lonely for a while and wanted to cheer myself up by creating a project in Scratch (named Self Expression) expressing some thoughts going on in mind… let’s share that this week… I enjoy smiling and spreading that smile :wink: :laughing:
But I warn you please don’t laugh… as an adult I feel embarrassed sharing my projects created using Scratch… especially when I see young children creating amazing projects in Scratch… :stuck_out_tongue:

My cats provide me with endless inspiration! Before I settled on this particular sequence of movements for my purring cat, I tried different times and rotation degrees… and the disappearance of the lack outline was an unexpected effect (which I thought created a strong visual impact, so I left it).
For me, this project was the result of trying and trying again… like the other few I have made.

I really like the animal drawings. How did you do them? The lines are very smooth!

I found a book in the library on how to program with Scratch by two Italian authors about two months ago. Since then I have learned a lot of tricks about Scratch. I’ve been using them to design coding lessons for my 13-yo-students.
In the meanwhile, I created a platform game, just for pleasure… It reminds me the kind of games I played with in the late '80s.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/252370754/

Hi Mohona!

You can find more about the Getting Unstuck challenge here. It was an open activity organized last July by the Harvard Ed group, and consisted on 21 Scratch challenges, for 21 consecutive days.

I did about 3 or 4, but I liked the idea quite a lot, the prompts were very open and led to very a wide collection of responses.