[Wk 2 - Activity] Make Something!

Welcome to Project week!

This week we invite you to… make something!

The possibilities are endless, and that can be intimidating!
So here are some suggestions to help you get started.

You can make something:

• very big, very small, green, sweet, loud, unusual, …
  • in your kitchen, in a makerspace, outside, …
  • with paper, with wood, with Scratch, …
  • for yourself, for someone else, for work, for fun, …

It can be something you do only for this week, or a piece of a bigger project you’d like to work on.

When you are ready, reply to this post to share your project (picture, link, and/or description) and a reflection about your process.

As you reflect on your process, here are some questions to possibly consider:

How did you get the idea? What was a challenge you encountered? What would you do if you had more time? How did the suggested constraints influence how you approached the activity?

We are excited to see what you’ll make this week, and how you’ll make it!

This post is also available in Italiano, 日本語 , Português, Español.

Hi, this is my economic idea.
What inspired me? In “strict” order:

-Video Lcl Conversation Projects (with Andrew Sliwinki)
-the artistic onion
-Christoph Niemann
-I avoid eating onions

Difficulties:
-Use the pen with the tip too big for the touch screen
-Or have too big fingers for the touch screen

Materials:
-An artistic onion of your garden
-A smartphone
-A pen (optional)
-A white (or uniform) background

If I had more time:

1. I would create shape with the wire
  2. I would do a stop motion to animate the images
  3. I would try animate the onion with Scratch
  4. I would have imagined new situation and stories

IMG_20181016_203008

IMG_20181016_202906

IMG_20181016_200432

IMG_20181016_202514

IMG_20181016_202611

IMG_20181016_195141

Let's talk about Purpose

Maze game: Beauty and the bad guy… and the prince and the maze

*How did you get the idea?
Teaching coding at Primary, yesterday a student ask me to create a game (he challenge me!)

What was a challenge you encountered?
For the story I wish to create a bad guy who follows the hero across the maze (I didn’t know how to do it). The bad guy can crossing walls and when he touch the hero the game is over.

What would you do if you had more time?
I wish to add some easter eggs: if the hero touch a key, a wall opens or the hero can appears on some other part of the maze. I wish to add more levels too!

How did the suggested constraints influence how you approached the activity?*
The constraints become challenges.

Hi!

For my project, I decided to make something small in a makerspace with a 3D printer for a friend. I’ve never really used one before so this was to be a learning experiment of sorts for me.

I got the idea by creating constraints for myself, I knew this being my first experiment I needed to control some variables so that I’d be able to debug if something went wrong. I picked a more two-dimensional design even though I was to use a 3D printer and chose not to create my design entirely from scratch because of time constraints. This helped me get started because it eliminated the need for perfection and allowed me to ‘play’ around with the possibilities.

The one challenge I’d foreseen was preparing the design. I ran through multiple iterations, trying out different software, trying to learn from other people’s experiences from blogs. Settling on the scope of the design was tricky, I’d initially wanted to create a spherical soccer ball with text inside of it, but trial and error made me realise I should try something simpler first.

The process of going through this really brought home for me the importance of iteration. Iteration not just in tweaking the design, but in paying attention to my learning process.

If I had time I would have created a more complex design, but what I take away from this experience is that the modes I chose to learn through were tied with what I wanted to achieve. My wanting to go deeper in the subject doesn’t necessarily have to be linked with going deeper with one learning modality, I could choose to move across a whole spectrum of modes too.

Hi,
I created a small project in Scrach 2.0. It is about Cubic illusion . A small idea arises in my mind. I did this . I hope so.You guys will like it.

It is a rotatable cube while its rotating it produce its illusion .

Thanks frjurado…

Ok, so after some thinking, I decided to make something:

• very small,
  • quite unusual (at least for me),
  • at home, barely any tools needed,
  • for you LCL comunity… :wink:

So here it is!

Long and winding are the roads
To the land
Where Creative Learning grows
And expands.

Many friends, though, you will meet
On that path,
Many joys, so simple and sweet
As math.

We will travel, search and find
Together,
We will be the LCL family
Forever! :smile:

So, the process has been quick but interesting… I wanted to do something out of my confort zone, and related to LCL. And it’s always cool trying to do something you’re not used to: English is not my mother tongue, so rhymes and all this stuff come slowly to my head, and the process easily tends to a puzzle thing… I used some help in the form of dictionary, rhyme website, etc. The challenge was not small, but the purpose of keeping it a fast thing helped me overcome the fear of showing something you’re not entirely happy with…

Hope you like it!

Here is my project.

I saw a video or demo of some kind showing the idea of creating stop-motion animation using Google Slides. Each slide is one frame of the animation. This inspired me to try this out, and it also inspired me to offer an elective for students to create stop-motion projects. I was reminded that I used to create stop-motion projects with my kids and their Legos a few years ago. I want to revisit this as a creative way for students to demonstrate learning.

One challenge in this type of project is patience and persistence. I had created most of the slides for this and then noticed I had missed something early on. Making the change was a bit tedious. So a take-away for me is the idea that students(and adults) sometimes need to be willing to move backwards to move forward and to be willing to wait for the big reward after lots of work.

I do plan to take much more time with this type of project. I think it can be a very accessible way for students/people with very little drawing/art ability to animate things. And time is certainly a constraint with using stop-motion as a project in classes in school. But this specific method of using Google Slides is intriguing to me because it requires no camera, no construction of scenery, etc. Students can get started playing and creating with a minimal learning threshold. I think we can even spiral into storyboarding and collaborating on longer, more complex animations.

Dear Paola,

I hope it’s ok that your artistic onion inspired me…

Greetings from Vienna,

Thomas

Wow

Your children may bring many different friends home over the years. If you are lucky some will fit into your family like a puzzle piece … or maybe they just always happen to show up at meal time … either way a strong friendship grows. Pictured is my current knitting project. It is a memory afghan created for my “adopted” daughter, Rachel, who graduated from high school in May 2017.

In early 2017, my daughter Kaitlin and I began planning for the afghan: Who might be willing to knit a square or two? What are Rachel’s favorite colors? What were her favorite memories with Rachel? We were able to recruit my mother to help with the knitting. The colors represent a blend of their high school colors plus Rachel’s favorite color green and Kaitlin’s favorite color turquoise.

Each image represents a piece of their high school experience together. They bonded together over thousands of miles of sunrise cross country runs and platters of sunny-side-up eggs. Traveled in a golden car named “The Dragon” and built worlds together in Dungeons and Dragons. They share a love of nature and a passion for books. Rachel hopes to become a Forester and work for the National Park Service. Kaitlin hopes to become a Research Meteorologist. Fitting, Rachel has her feet firmly planted on the ground, while Kaitlin often has her head in the clouds!

This is not our first memory afghan. The first, we knit for my son when he graduated HS in 2013. Like Rachel’s we decided on images, chose colors and recruited help. With Ryan’s however, we used a quilt graphics package to help us plan the color blocking. In addition to my mother and Kaitlin, we were able to recruit several aunts and cousins to knit squares. Each person chose a favorite from Ryan’s color list and knit at least two squares (= one ball of yarn). As the squares arrived by mail, I embroidered the designs inspired by his experiences.

Other than “It Always Takes More Time Than You Think” syndrome, we did experience other challenges. With both projects we needed to knit while the recipients were not present. Because Ryan’s knitters we working on their squares across the US, I set up a private facebook group where we could share our progress and post questions. We finished his as he was packing to leave for college August 2013!

As August approached last year, we needed to finish many more squares. Since we hadn’t done a color blocking plan, we’d stage the squares across the bed in Ryan’s room, squint and decide: more green? During Hurricane Harvey, we seemed to gravitate to gray and purple that week, made great progress and thought we might have a chance to finish the detail work by Christmas.

Plans change. In the aftermath of Harvey, my mother moved in with us as we worked to rebuild her flood inundated house. We fostered my daughter’s friend Carson when her house was flooded and her parents couldn’t find local rental housing. The HS was also washed out. The girls worried how and if they would be able to complete their senior year. The knit squares were gathered up and hibernated for six months as we found a new normal. Yet, the turquoise square was knit during the hibernation time.

This summer we gathered up the loose ends, restaged the blocks and decided what color blocks we needed (more green!) and what colors to use in the images. We almost scrapped the purple and dark grey blocks, but decided last August 2017 was a part of all of our lives.

Not all the challenges were so heavy. On a more humorous note, one of the blocks in Rachel’s quilt is dedicated to her cockatiel, Tado. We learned this week in the 18 months it took to get the squares knitted, Tado has matured and grown into her adult plumage. She was no longer fluffy bright yellow and pale gray - but very pale yellow with dark gray wings! She might disappear in her assigned ivory square. So, with a flurry of text messages, we assigned the green dragon to an ivory square and Tado will be transferred to the turquoise square Kaitlin is knitting now at university. It ended for the best. Now both dragon squares adjoin. I have the Leaf, the Dragon and Paw prints to squares to finish, then I will piece the strips shown (minus the Tado’s Turquoise roost) and bind the edges by Thanksgiving.

There is a memory knit project in the works for Kaitlin. As I mentioned earlier, she has loved the sky and clouds as long as she can remember. For her, I was going to create a “Knit the Sky” scarf. On each day of her Senior year, I would knit the color of the sky. Well, Senior year didn’t go as planned. My creative projects waited. So, we adapted. Just before Harvey, Kaitlin had a chance to shadow a NWS Meteorologist for a few days. During her aviation and marine rotation she had a chance to see METAR in action and was mesmerized by the coding system. This summer, she found the historical METAR database for this area, so from the daily code records she developed a color key for the sky conditions. This scarf will be now be a meteorological record! In this case the planning (coding) will take much longer than the knitting. I am hoping to start after Christmas and finish by June.

All three projects involved the other 3 Ps in some way. We come from a knitting family. We love knitting and enjoy all aspects: planning, knitting and piecing together. We talk about playing with the colors and images. Interestingly, the number of collaborators has dropped with each project. From Ryan’s collective, Rachel’s trio (no knitters in her family) to Kaitlin’s duo. Is another collective project in the works? Well, I am not so sure. In 2013, Ryan and Kaitlin were the youngest of the cousins. Now, a new generation of babies has arrived so perhaps the projects will be there, but be different to reflect another new normal. Each project experienced the project spiral: imagine, create, play, share, reflect .

Let's talk about 'INSPIRATION'

How did you get the idea?
I needed to build an example for a fifth grade technology/innovation project that involved motors, circuitry, and batteries. They had just finished a mini project with cardboard creations and we needed a project between that and an Arduino Hummingbird one. So this one seemed right!
What was a challenge you encountered?
One challenge was getting the parallel circuits to consistently work. Sometimes one of the eyes would not be lit up. And after a while, the motor needs to “rest”.
What would you do if you had more time?
I would include more parallel circuits to make Frankenstein move more or light up more.
How did the suggested constraints influence how you approached the activity?
Well, I only had a limited amount of space on the back of the cardboard, so that limited how many circuits I could include in the project. But the constraints of the prompt also allowed me to kill two birds with one stone: make something so that I can go through the process of creating a circuit/motor/battery project for fifth graders and also for LCL group.

http://www.giphy.com/gifs/69obAwpfq5aC7irYmS

I made something

• small, green (+ other colors :rainbow:), sweet , but possibly loud
  • late night in my campus apartment at MIT
  • with Scratch
  • for fun :slightly_smiling_face:

The project is called Painting sounds in the sky :point_down:t3:

252449523_480x360

It’s always hard for me to trace back the start of my ideas. This especially becomes true when I am playing around with a powerful and expressive tool like Scratch where it’s almost like my ideas meet an awesome dance partner, and somehow it leads to magic being created on stage (literally) :slight_smile: It’s directed yet unpredictable because you keep getting inspired/challenged along the process. In summary, I really don’t know how I got the idea, except that I was just playing around and may be because I like colors, I like sounds, and I like the dancing clouds in the sky!

The challenge I encountered was that sometimes one can try too many complex things when actually the little magic one is looking for could be created with simplicity too. In this project, I actually moved from complexity to simplicity (instead of the other way around), and I thought it was an interesting part of the process!

If I had more time, I would actually like to paint sounds in the sky :slight_smile:

The suggested constraints acted more like sparks :zap: that fueled the creative process rather than suppressing it in any way. I think constraints when designed as sparks can be really helpful and generative. I had a lot of fun in this process!

October is for making

doll-head lamp made at the new makerspace in our public library - see more October projects here

At the end of a busy summer spent helping other people develop their own inventions, I decided to take a sabbatic this fall to reconnect with my own making. This shift was further inspired by a trip that I took at the end of the summer to the Haystack Mountain School of Craft where I was delighted to discover that MITs center for bits and atoms had recently installed a fab lab. I was particularly smitten with the metalsmith shop where they were integrating electronics with jewelry.

To figure out what kind of stuff I wanted to make when I got back home, I signed up for a bunch of free and low-cost workshops here in Ithaca. This is what I do when I don’t know what to make. I put a bunch of stuff on my calendar. It’s a self imposed time constraint that helps me move from thinking about making to actually making.

Here’s what I’ve tried out:

LAMP MAKING. Tonight I made a doll-head lamp at the public library (pictured above). It was fun and good for building my confidence for rewiring old lamps that I might find in a thrift shop. I’ve also been playing with nightlights and neopixels at home

PRINTMAKING. I’ve been taking a mezzotint class at a place right next door to my house. I’m not sure it’s a medium for me, but it’s fun to learn about printmaking. To learn even more about the medium, I found this great little course on khan academy here and searched pinterest for mezzotint artists who make work that I like here

METALSMITHING. Finally, I’ve been dropping in on some metalsmith workshops and made a pair of earrings today. I really enjoy this medium and think I will continue with it. I’ve signed up for an advanced metalsmith course in November and will then decide whether or not to join the shop as a member. I’ve put together an album of metal work that I like here

Reflection
Participating in these workshops has sparked my curiosity about different media and has also boosted my confidence. And finally, participating in the workshops helped me figure out that I want to dive more deeply into learning about and making jewelry and jewelry-like objects, perhaps some with electronics. The hands-on experiences in these workshops really helped my ideas and motivation flow.

Hi everyone,

It’s been a long time I wanted to learn how to develop an app. I have plenty of ideas of what I would do if I had that skill, but somehow the learning part always seemed too intimidating for me. I have some basis in programming back from school, but it both gives me a little booster at the beginning, but also makes me painfully aware of the amount of knowledge and experience needed to build a proper app.

As often, the big barrier was looking at the end product, eyeing on the top of the mountain when you have not even bought the equipment. This is the best way to be discouraged before even starting. I finally decided that I should at least give it a try, and I bought an iOS developer course on Udemy. It turns out to be very well paced, informative and with a lot of hands-on. Along the course, I’m making a lot of very simple apps that represent little achievements and sources of satisfaction.

This process made me realise one of the important part of a project: having intermediary achievements. It’s like putting fuel back in the car. You can drive forever, as long as you get some gas on the way! And each time you drive a little further, and a little further, until you reach your destination… And until you decide that your destination was nice, but that since your car is still working and full of gas, why not explore a little bit, just a little bit further… and further…

Here’s my week’s little achievement, a to-do list app that generated a lot of challenges, but was extremely satisfying to use once finished! It doesn’t look fancy, but I pulled some hair on it :smiley:

This is brilliant! I agree too with what you bring up, it’s so important to (through the experience of working on such projects) learn how to be flexible. But also, just the idea of using Slides to make stop motion is very cool!

I built a house in Minecraft. I was recently at an event with a room full of elementary aged students doing amazing things in Minecraft.

I decided if they could create things, so could I. I learned a lot in the process. To build the entire structure I had to persist through a few different sessions and revisit the design. If I had more time, I would enhance the structure with interior design and on the exterior perhaps a garden!

I think I’ve been inspired to start a world where I can collaborate with my nephews. We live at a distance, but this could be a really great project to share and learn from each other.

I made something

• with many shades of green
  • at my desk at work after a TurtleArt session with teachers and students
  • with TurtleArt
  • out of curiosity

I call this one “Footprints of a Scattered Turtle”