LCL

[Wk 1 Reflection] Pick a P!

Play - personally it is where I find myself really losing track of time and connecting with others in a vulnerable way

Passion!

You can do whatever if you feel comfortable expressing your dreams, vision, ideas… and make all of those dreams, vision or ideas just need patience, love, fun, and get your hands dirty!

Bacana seu comentário Laura! Colabore também no fórum em Português, assim temos como gerar discussões dentro das nossas realidades locais.

http://lcl-discuss.media.mit.edu/c/language-groups-october-2018/portugues-fall-2019

Obrigado!

Concordo com você Valeira! Para mim, Paixão é O P! :slight_smile:

Colabore também no fórum em Português, assim temos como gerar discussões dentro das nossas realidades locais.

http://lcl-discuss.media.mit.edu/c/language-groups-october-2018/portugues-fall-2019

Obrigado!

Actually it is really hard for me to choose one P, because it sounds and feels great to combine all. But I think it all starts with '*Passion

Nowadays I am thinking about ‘learning a new language’. I have moved to Orlando from Turkey 3 months ago with a 4 year old son and he is learning English at school from friends and teachers just by hearing and observing - as it is in our process of learning our native languages - in a safe environment where he can play with peers :slight_smile: This is - as I observe and read about - a really good way of learning a new language. So why don’t we create an environment that only the intended language is being spoken where people - even adults and children at any age - play together, develop new abilities, work on inspiring projects… Instead of memorizing words and rules in a language, it can be more powerful, enjoyable and relaxing to learn by hearing and observing in specially designed language learning environments where people have an opprtunity for both personal development and language learning.

I don’t know if there is a sample in any country, I just think with my limited perception but it makes me feel exciting to develop such kind of a creative language learning environment.

I love the Play part of the 4P.

I think its the hardest part to start with, because seems like the play part is something appart of the education or learninig system. Its hard to justify the Play part as a important part.

But for me its the best part. After learning a bit of concepts and examples, the most important learning process is the play one, because you can experiment and learn by yourself, so everything you learn at the Play time, is always much better than the “academic” way.

Play!

I have found a huge contrast volunteering with Code Club in school vs primary schools. The “atmosphere” in the Clubs is somehow different and it is much easier to take a play approach in the public library vs primary school.

I’ve been thinking hard about why these difference exists, and what some of the barriers are around having play-based approaches in school.

I have observed that peer friendships have to be freshly built when you have kids from different educational backgrounds, whereas at school they come into Code Club with their “peer baggage”, sitting with friends, in similar year levels and less likely to naturally help another student unless you work hard to encourage that. It seems to happen more naturally where everyone is new to each other.

Mi primera elección de las 4P’s es Proyectos, me da cosquillas y alegría pensar en eso y saber que al final se puede alcanzar lo que se planeó. . Es el primer paso del entusiasmo.

Passion!

Passion can drive the most amazing results. It can push you to do things you never thought possible, and it keeps us going when we are so close to giving up. I love to hear people talk about their passions. There’s so much love in their words, and it thrills me to feel what they feel in that moment.

OMG, thanks for sharing Paul Lockhart’s piece, I hadn’t read it yet!
I’m only at page 6, and it’s resonating with me in so many ways that I need to take a break!! :smiley:

I’m wondering how much of that applies to coding / computer science in schools? I see exactly the same risk of reducing the creative art of coding to a boring subject, the same tendency to value it mainly as a pathway into jobs rather than as a form of human expression, and the same cultural misconception of being something for “rational thinkers” rather than for “poetic dreamers”. The question is: how can we avoid the same fate?

I also have many other thoughts about the relationship between math and code, coding as material, “artistic thinking”, the role of computers in computer science, and much more… but this post is becoming too long!

I’ll just share just another random thought. Reading the essay reminded of the joy and wonder of when in 3rd grade I incidentally discovered that there were infinite lines of symmetry in a circle, by folding paper shapes that our teacher had prepared for us to play with. At that age I could already imagine a line that never ends, but realizing that an infinite number of things could be inside a small piece of paper blew my mind, and I still remember it very clearly, much more than formulas I had to learn.

Glad so see so many interesting links and resources shared here, there is so much to learn creatively with you all!

Thanks for your thoughts and for the reminder of how Lockhart’s Lament has affected me too ! :upside_down_face:

I first read the lament several years ago and then reread it a few times over the years . Every time I’m awed by Lockhart’s writing style (wise and seriously fun). And like you say, it resonates in so many ways . . .

For me the most important aspect of the relationship between math and code is how coding has changed my view of mathematics: since I can visualize mathematics by coding I now think of it as a subject with three languages (formal, visual and ordinary language). Without visualization formulas can seem boring and without ordinary language we cannot discuss the meaning . . .

Thanks also for sharing your memory of discovering the infinite lines of symmetry in a circle! I think that thinking about infinity is one of the great pleasures of math - and suitable for all ages =)

The P I think Lockhart really nails is Passion. Paul is undoubtedly passionate. More than any method or style a teacher uses, I believe, it is their ability to be an enthusiastic ambassador for a subject they love that makes a big difference.

You said you are wondering how much applies to code in schools… all of it. I picked the book up specifically for that parallel between what I was seeing in the CS classroom and what he described as a deficiency in math education. Particularly when you get into the AP level courses where memorization of Java syntax at times becomes more valuable than computational thinking/creativity.

Too many exercises revolve around “know this because you need to know this” instead of capturing the play and wonder of making bits do your bidding as you explore their endless potential.

We are cheaters because we get to use computers, one of the most fun toys that exist (just look at how many people listed some form of computer as their childhood object). It pains me to see such a fun platform watered down or made boring. Or worse, creativity ignored in favor of what is considered “professional”, when ironically that creativity will be their most valuable professional asset.

I choose Play, for a couple of reasons:

• As a product manager, I think is important to use prototypes, build on those prototypes, iterate and learn from users. This sounds easy, but sometimes I’m so focused on deliver fast, that I forget how valuable that process is. I’d like to explore how playing could help me to create better products.

• I come from a culture where playing in education is not valued. What I mean with this, is that you are expected to be seated in a classroom, listen to a teacher and perform well on exams. That’s it. Discussion, creativity, experimentation are not encouraged. Moreover, society stigmatize failure, so nobody invests effort on testing things. You are expected to do succeed from day one, so is hard to take risks. I have a 3 months old baby, and I would love to encourage him to do the opposite.

Today I am going to go with passion. I am working with a group of educators and parents to create a self directed learning center. One of the most common questions is how do you get the “students” to do more than just sit and consume digital media. That is always the challenge because we must make our offerings more appealing than the digital media that is so readily available. We want to encourage our students to dive deeper in their intentions for the day and beyond to plan for and achieve the grand goals that they have (and sometimes don’t even know they have) Helping them to find and explore their passions is key to doing this. My 14 year old just decided to learn how to use a RPi to make a video arcade. He hacked one of our robots with an older RPi and watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it. He got it up and running by scavenging a bunch of old peripherals from the garage. After he got it working he discovered that the processor wasn’t fast enough for what he was trying to do so we picked up the newest RPi and he had to do the process all over again. Passion for the project is what drove him to persevere to the end. Now they are talking about making a case to house the project that looks like an old style arcade game… this is going to take learning some woodworking. Finding and facilitating student passions is the key to self directed learning I want to learn how to do it better.

I find all Ps equally important and interesting, but as an educator find most difficulty with Passion, as it can be really difficult to find and grow the Passion of others - and dangerously easy to impose false passions if one is not carefull!

Projects!
Coding, math, painting, logistic regression… They are only some tools in the problem-solving process. They are the ways to express yourself while working on your project. They provide different perspectives to look at the project, but at the end of the day, we learn by experience. Passion, Peers, and Play are the triggers and amplifiers in the journey while Project is the journey itself :slight_smile:

I agree, David! I think a lot about a Lynda Barry lecture I saw a number of years ago, where she said “kids don’t plan to play”. She went on to explain that she sees play as a vital generative act, a mental state that can be nigh impossible to reach in the distracting, demanding adult world. Play continues to be important for us as we grow as learners and collaborators- I’m excited to see how it is centered in this course.

it’s quite difficult choose just one. Each one has its importance. The 4 P’s are complementary. Maybe the most difficult for us, adult, is playing. We created a sequential routine in our lives and forgot to play, create and imagine. As we become adults, we emphasize critical thinking and leave creative thinking marginalized. The world needs innovative and creative professionals for day-to-day solutions. Playing solving problems is an interesting challenge.

My favourite quote:
“I’m convinced that kindergarten-style learning is exactly what’s needed to help people of all ages develop the creative capacities needed to thrive in today’s rapidly changing society.”

Hard to choose. Passion and play! Those 2 things working together are like magic.

Projects!
As has been said, choosing one will be difficult. But, starting working on one could attract the others.
Hence, on an individual level I would start defining my project and work on it, then give it a direction with Passion and guide it to its end with the help of Peers who tagged along, when finally we will be able to play.