LCL

[Wk 1 Reflection] Pick a P!

Projects. I have a sense of the other Ps…and know where to find resources. What is the thought leadership saying about projects these days?

PASSION

How can I make all my 25 students passionate about learning a topic and follow the school curriculum at the same time?

Play. Because it is something I forgot about in my high school classroom over the years.
Can’t learning be fun again, even with deadlines and politics? Technology could be a great tool to re-instill the fun in learning.

Passion and Play

I liked the comparison in the first reading: literacy instruction vs. playful exploration.
Play is important but it doesn’t happen without passion.
If a person has an idea / project she’s passionate about, it doesn’t really matter what that person doesn’t know yet, passion drives the learning in a form of playful exploration, so all of the Ps essentially come into one big P :slight_smile:
Sadly, a lot of people when they grow up forget how to play…

I am truly most excited about passion. I mean, isn’t that why we are all in this course? Because we are all passionate about the topic or about whatever reasons we had for seeking out this learning opportunity? I love my job as a teacher-librarian and often work late into the night planning coding, reading, making, and tech projects for my students. This doesn’t feel like work to me- it feels like fun because I am passionate about what I am teaching. My goal is to share that passion with my students so that they want to put the same amount of drive and effort into their learning!

I don’t feel too comfortable with the idea of choosing. Mainly because I feel the four concepts together are much more meaningful than just one of them issolated.
Reading at forum comments was really interesting, but they make me think that the element I would be careful to never forget is play. When we get passionate about something, specially if we share it with other passionate peers, we tend to became so serious about how important we and our work are!

In a wall in MIT I saw a sentence painted some years ago and I love it. It said “what we are doing here is important. So you’d better don’t take it seriously”

Hi, I chose the P of Play, thinking that the game involves all the other P …
The game need design/Project, the game helps to increase or give birth to Passion, and promotes collaboration between Peers.
In my reasoning, however, I think that the collaborative aspect, that should be in the Project, does not emerge… And now I believe that the project (image + create) is more important.

Passion

For this round of LCL I’m consciously focusing on passion, and more broadly relating the P’s to my personal lifelong learning. Although my teaching practices for children are play-centered and project-based, I don’t always, or even often, permit similar temporal and conceptual space to my self. For example, while working through material for a computer science course, I usually study things in the sequence they are presented, rather than turning to those things that interest me most. As another example, I think of what I know and do not know (helpful references for learners) primarily from a deficit point of view, rather than from a neutral/utilitarian point of view (e.g., to help identify good starting places). The net result seems to be a stunted and less joyful experience. So, thanks again for the Push.

I am especially interested in exploring how educators can cultivate curiosity through peers because I want to give more people a firsthand experience with learning that is project-based, passion-fed, and playful.

Many of us who are trying to seed creative computing activities in schools and communities feel opposition on multiple fronts- certainly from other teachers and administration who doubt the value of non-traditional approaches, but also from students who are uncomfortable outside the familiar rigid structure. I have won hard-fought administrative approval for project-based curriculum, only to realize on day one that my students needed to practice some basic skills before we could begin (skills like working independently, tolerating failure, and requesting help from peers).

I believe that a major challenge to changing education is the discomfort these methods evoke in many of our students, and an excellent way to meet this challenge is by focusing on how to include them.

Peers. It is hard to choose but right now I am most curious about peers. Specifically how peers can help motivate you or even how they may prevent you from or influence you experience of the other P’s (play, passion and project).

In my own experience I realize that I often enjoy doing something with someone else, increases my motivation. But at the same time maybe it limits the scope of projects…

Tough but I am always excited by Play.

Play on your own

Play with others

Play passionately, persist and progress

Play, play, play

Projects.

“Doing the right thing” is more important than “Doing the thing right”. What I mean "right"here is about interesting, meaningful. It’s refer to right or wrong. Once we start with a project we really interested in, passion will appear spontaneously. Peers will be attracted. And we can play with fun.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I have had many a discussion about the word ‘just’ in front of play. And about the ‘rebranding’ of play to make it more palatable for a school audience - especially as children get older. I am on a mission to advocate for the use of “play” - no descriptor required. :slight_smile: In saying that, I totally get your point. Why are teachers ‘afraid’ to let kids play? How might we make it more acceptable to hear the phrase “the students are playing”?

THIS!!!

PLAY
I chose play as my word. I love it. I think we need more of it. I think play is foundational and transformational. I want it to become acceptable and expected in all levels of schooling. #playrevolution

The word ‘passion’ intrigues me! I wonder whether could be about the process of ‘doing’ and ‘learning’ and not necessarily about a specific content. Can we inspire such a ‘passion’ to our students?

Since you have to choose (the four P’s are great), I choose … Peers!
To play and invent games with them, to share our passions, and also to carry out projects of all kinds by relying on the strengths of each one.

I think that contact with peers stimulates creativity, through exchanges, shared ideas. The ways of approaching the problem solving of each person makes it possible to go further in the development of projects. Cooperation is an important key to learning, it brings diversity of points of view, the complementarity of skills.

Hello dear friends. Nice and challenging topic. My favorite on is Play, simply because is the moment you experience, feel and it makes some significance for you and your experience into a given context.

I am curious about projects and peers, but especially about the different ways we can work with Projects in class. I work with young learners and we play in class all the time. Passion is also something natural for kids.