LCL

[Wk 1 Activity] Childhood Objects

Saludos, estoy emocionada nuevamente de tomar este taller es mi segunda vez weeee, nos ayuda mucho manera creativa ver las cosas.
Mi nombre es Sara soy de Panamá, actualmente trabajo como instructora robótica.
En cuanto al objeto que marco mi infancia fueron los motores de los carros de mis primos , jjajajajjjajaja todos los dañaba para ver como funcionaba, desde ahí supe que me apasionaba la electrónica, pues realice de mi pasión mi trabajo…
Feliz con muchas ganas de aprender esta segunda vuelta. Gracias.

Wow! This image reminded me of an amazing artist I discovered through the Tinkering Studio.
It started from a kindergarten finger painting class and grew from there.

Check out his incredible work!

Thanks…

cf%20set

My favorite toy/game: colorforms
geometric pieces made of vinyl that could be arrange and rearranged over and over

• I was born in a small town in China. I was a girl, to anyone’s surprise, afraid of dolls. The object which interested me a lot was a wooden gun. I still remembered the excitement holding it at home. This wooden gun combined simplicity and beauty. You can see its structure from outside clearly and have interactions with it at any place or time. I like clicking the button.
  • Since then, I have been passioned with crafted things, even dreaming of being a carpenter. This passion transferred to recycling. I am always figuring out how to reuse and decorate paper boxes or yogurt boxes. Any activities which need hands’ or body’s participation attracts me a lot: cooking, coding, sports.
  • When learning something, I prefer to know its structure and maps firstly, just like seeing the gun’s structure in my childhood. If I couldn’t find a clear structure, my brain would be in a huge mess and couldn’t go on anymore. And then, I will think about the interactions between it and myself, or more vast field.

Hola.
Cuando era niño me gustaba explorar cómo funcionaban las cosas. Desde tapones de botella a un deseado coche de radio control que tardó en llegar. Incluso desarmé una Nintendo Game&Watch para ver cómo funcionaba. La dejé inservible, ahora me arrepiento. Más tarde logré tener un Amstrad CPC y aquello me abrió la puerta para crear y empezar a manipular pequeños programas en Basic o hackear juegos con pokes.

Hola, cuando era chico me gustaba mucho jugar con mis muñecos, especialmentos con los llamados Max Steel, y soldaditos ya que disfrutaba mucho de inventar espacios e historias de aventura los cuales a veces duraban días de desarrollo e involucraba a otros juguetes en su historia. Todas estas aventuras se desarrollaban en el fondo de mi casa y en cada recoveco de mi casa. Además cada Max Steel (tenia varios) tenia su historia de vida y su ropa (hecha por mi abuela). Creo que estos juguetes me ayudaron a desarrollar mucho mi imaginación y creatividad, las cuales al día de hoy la utilizo constantemente en mis clases y creo que es una de mis mayores fortalezas como profesional.

417S7H28HTL

I had much the same experience as child when my dad brought home a Amstrad CPC.

The first weeks I played games on it almost non-stop. Then one day by dad brought home a “write you own game” book and I was hooked.
I’ve been programming, playing and tinkering with computers since then.

I lived with my grandparents at various times growing up, and my grandfather liked to play with coins. He wasn’t a collector - instead of a binder full of rare coins, he kept stacks of everydat change in a 4-barrell money changer he had used as a trolley driver.

Papa and I would sit at the dinner table between meals and play with coins. We had contests for the longest spin and the slide closest to the table edge. We played one game like billiards with a quarter for the cue ball. He could stack them edge on edge, too, something I can’t do.

Years later, in high school physics class, I often found myself thinking of those coins when modeling Newtonian mechanics.

Books! I was an avid reader from an early age. I would read in the car, on the walk to and from schools, in bed at night, whenever I could. I loved the different worlds, perspectives, and ideas that books presented to me as I read them. Books made me curious about the world and encouraged me to think about it from various perspectives.

The Little House on the Prairie series I read early on, it represented how the past could be seen/lived through the eyes of a little girl about my age. The Wrinkle in Time showed how the future might be. As I read, detailed images formed in my head and I would imagine myself in the story.

bookImage

Meccano! It allowed me to build things, learning how to assemble following instructions, learning how gears, pulleys, levers, etc worked by playing. It also allowed me to use my imagination and new found knowledge to make things without instructions - just imagineering them.

In later teenage years the zx80&81 allowed me to do the same and especially developed problem solving and perseverance debugging code you had to type in yourself. :wink:

The objects that I fell in love with as a child relate to movement. Trikes, bikes, skates and my dog.

Looking back on my childhood days , I can remember I was fascinated with my 2-wheel bicycle !! I was so happy when I first got the opportunity to have a bi-cycle. For me, as a school-going kid, it was a great experience to ride the bike and go from one place to another. I wish I could go back to my childhood and enjoy those worriless moments!!:heart_eyes:

A Transformers Toy.

When I was a little boy, I had a few toys. One day, my father back from a work-trip and give me a Transformers which was the best toy I had ever. I was so excited and played with it for years. As I growing up and being a father now, the toy was already gone. But it somehow becomes the best reminder of being a great father. Being responsible, being reliable, being kind to kids and family.

I chose playdoh.
We weren’t particularly wealthy growing up but we didn’t want for anything. Except I wanted for things like playdoh and chalk. I picked the playdoh because my mum would make it for us in a pot on the stove and it was “hot” and “dangerous” and I was just so amazed that she could shove all that stuff in a pot and boom! Out came playdoh. I played with it forever.
Mum made it for the kids at our playcentre. She made it for us at home. It was just something we did: made our own fun.
The photo is my 5 year old daughter after we made and colored a double batch. I let her help make it. The recipe calls for hot water instead of a stove-top. But the magic still holds. The color mixing. The self-talk while playing with it.

I used Todd’s photos with my 3rd graders - we took apart old electronics which was so much fun for them, arranged them and photographed them and then created art from them in the style of Louise Nevelson. So much fun. I now buy screwdriver kits for my daughter’s friends when they have birthdays.

I have a big list of my childhood objects, including Genius game, sticks, marble balls, that were always fun and interesting to play, frequently demanding a special trick to overcome the goal. However, I consider the Bearing Cart the most significant object. In the countryside, at that time and conditions, I didn’t have too many options and money, so I had to be creative. The process of seeking for disposed materials ( bearing, woods, screw, nut and nails), until the final design to make it ready and play (shaping the wood, fixing the bearings, etc…) with the final prize of feeling the control of my cart, perhaps made me able of solve a lot of small problems, by myself, and contributed with the first steps with the maker spirit that I developed since then.
carrinho-rolima

May be this say something about how you are, I’ ve seen a documentary about this kind of truck which is very heavy and it’s very hard to take it out of the cave but makes a great job :occhiali da sole:

When I first tried to answer this question, just from the text, I was unable to find an object equivalent to Papert’s Gears. I played with a lot of things, but have no conscience of anything helping me to understand equations nor any other school stuff. School looked interesting and easy by itself (I know is weird to say I enjoyed school in general and equations in particular the way they were taught in classroom, but I honestly do it)
My first conclusion was “well, sorry, but I don’t learn the way Papert does”
After reading all your incredible answers, I suppose the question was most wide and general than I have thought. And then the problem was to choose one of the seven or eight objects that came to my mind!!
To summarize, I think my flute would be the more fitting one. I play, enjoy and learn with it by myself, just for the pleasure of being able to feel the magic of reproducing a tune!
Has been that useful later in my life to learn other things?.. no idea.
flauta

Thanks for the link… images are great!!