LCL

[Wk 1 Activity] Childhood Objects

Hi,
Thanks,
The game you played is also used to played by me in my childhood days.

I grew up in the Eighties building my own bases and vehicles out of Construx (Fisher Price) for my action figures. This definitely had me engaged in what Resnick calls the Creative Learning Spiral. I would imagine a jeep, truck, or space station to build for certain characters (action figures) in the story lines I’d improvise during play. All I can remember now from that experience is the excitement of possibilities and experimentation in creating something. I guess I still get that feeling when making a graphic design, composing and improvising music, or tinkering with cardboard robot ideas.Construx

I get a little obsessed with things, one of my fondest memories of playing as a child was with Lego. Coming from New Zealand and growing up in the seventies Lego was incredibly hard to get, fortunately I had relatives in the UK.

Every chance I could get I would write to them and ask them to send me bits, I managed to gather quite a collection. The limited colour selection and lack of instructions, I think, helped my imagination to thrive.

I was fascinated by large buildings and spent quite a bit of time rebuilding them in Lego, which I suppose has lead to a lifelong interest in architecture.

Certainly… if you want to further reflect about that, Carmelo opened a thread here. :smile:

I agree. Papert’s gears is such an inspiring example, yet so daunting at the same time…

Crecí en el campo, en una provincia del interior de Argentina, rodeada de naturaleza, aire fresco y agua! Si tengo que remitirme a un objeto de mi infancia, más que un objeto sería un elemento y ese elemento es el agua. Muchas veces he pensado en mi infancia, buscando anécdotas para compartir con mis hijas, y siempre me viene al cuerpo la sensación de paz que me dá el agua.
La cantidad de horas que me he pasado sentada a la costa del río, mirándolo, dejando volar mi imaginación e indagando en mi interior.
Eso me sirve hasta hoy, cuando ando con la cabeza revolucionada, el agua logra calmarme, transportarme a esa época de mi niñez y volver a mi cauce para seguir, siempre para adelante!!!

La%20mia%20altalena
My object was the swing, my father made many of them during the time and he always explained to me how safe they were since he used this kind of screws and bolts. I was so happy and confident on the swing and also now I’m not that kind of person who loves to keep her feet on the ground.

download

One object that fascinated me when I was a child were rocks. I loved to collect them, to crack them open and to learn about the history of each stone. Was it volcanic? Was it sedimentary?
In the absence of the internet my source of information about the nature of each stone was my father or books. I recall that my parents even bought me a geology kit/mini lab for Christmas.

I think my current fascination with history stems from this. Being a social studies teacher allows me to feed my passion for history, especially the ancient world.

The type of learning that I engaged in was discovery.
I would throw the rock on my driveway in the effort to crack it open to see what secrets it held within.
I think this sense of discovery is an important part of my learning in the past and today.

tonkatruck

My trusty Tonka truck is one of the items of my childhood that I remember with a grin in my face. Did it actually influence me in any way? I guess its influence is a little vague in relation to the actual reading excerpt. I think of a fun really tough but still visually appealing toy and I can only think of the tonka truck. I know it was tough not only because I gave it a severe beating in its use but because I would hit myself with it from time to time and it never failed to produce tears but I was back at it again after the pain subsided because it was so much fun to play with. I guess what I learned from playing with it was that fun things can be hurtful if you are not careful (that rhymes). I also think I enjoyed it so much because as I grew up in a city there were only certain opportunities for me to go outside and plan and the tonka truck was always in tow.

When you say hangovers what are you referring to?
Thanks for the post it looks like a great place to grow up in.

I am curious about your mom. I get a sense of her either being really intentional with the design and aesthetics. I really enjoyed the pics thank you for sharing, I hope the carriage and the tiger stayed in your family.

I relate to tangram blocks. When I was a kid, the new thing was vinyl shapes that stuck to vinyl boards: Colorforms.
very similar idea.

My family stayed at my great aunt’s house on a river in the Adirondack Mountains and I also was obsessed with rocks, and also driftwood. Lots of granite and quartz set my mind imagining that I would find my fortune in diamonds in the river. My dad started throwing change in along the edges, unbeknownst to me and I was delighted to have that dream of finding my fortune come true.

The floor in the first photo makes me think of a dance studio, what a perfect place to play with those fluffy rainbow cushions :heart_eyes: It is interesting to think that the scene would have a completely different valence (at least as an external viewer) if those cushions were not there, they definitely spark the imagination - props to moms with a creative touch!

Definitely TK 2000 ! I was about 12 years old and my father bought this computer.

kdk_0515

He told me “This is a computer” and I asked "What does it does ? " and than he answer “I’s like a calculator, but we have to find out what it really does”.
Some weeks latter we discovered that was possible to write codes (in Basic), and save it in K7 tapes. Since than I never stopped coding.

Magnificent! :heart_eyes: That feels like a great starting point for a true learning experience…

You’re well come,it’s an universal game😊

Thanks ,it’s active game😊

I don’t really remember of any toy or childhood object that interested and influenced me.
As a child, my favourite thing to do was being outdoors. I used to spend my vacation time at my grandma’s house, which is located in the country side of my city. There, my cousins and I would play different kinds of games in the nature. So, the nature (trees, rocks, sticks, flowers, branches, logs among others) were our toys and childhood objects. We would always use our creativity to create something new to have fun.
Back home, my brother and I would use any sort of material found in our backyard (material that meant “trash” for my Mom) and our Dad’s tools to create stuff as well. I remember building with him the Titanic. We were so amazed by the history of that ship that we decided to make a replica. We did some research and tried to build it. That was so much fun!

When I was a child, my constant companion and favourite toy was my blanket. We even had a song about it. It was one of those small, lightweight blankets with soft edges that you often see children carrying around as a comfort object. It did provide comfort to me, but more importantly, it was a prop in whatever fun I imagined. It was a dress, a hat, boxing gloves, a surfboard, a fort, a lasso, a sidekick, a cape … well, you get the picture. I still have the remnants of my blanket in a box, but I will do everyone a favour and not post a picture as it looks less like a blanket and more like a mangled pile of tangled thread. I keep it though, as a memory of all the fun we had together.
I didn’t really think about it until this activity, but I am sure that I get many of my problem solving skills from playing with that blanket. When things go awry I look around for something to use to help. This often comes into play in our makerspace at school, but I think that it is not only for physical objects. I think that my blanket taught me to make use of the resources around me.