LCL

[Wk 1 Activity] Childhood Objects

@Luke_Persaud. Here’s the like tarmelop shared (and re-shared! thank you!). Please click the arrow link to tarmelop to get to the post.

Hi guys,
I’m so sorry but I was very busy. My childhood was a magic blackboard. There was a little stick who had to delete what you wrote or painted. That blackboard was like the Linus’s blanket, it was always with me.! I could play with my friends wherever we were.
https://www.google.it/search?biw=1536&bih=675&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=NRXUW_PxLayKlwSvlKsQ&q=lavagna+magica+anni+80&oq=lavagna+magica+&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39k1l2j0i67k1j0l7.69240.69240.0.70173.1.1.0.0.0.0.98.98.1.1.0…0…1c.1.64.img…0.1.96…0.2CRX1GjMIxA#imgrc=SzMpcfuoowg74M:

As a kid, I loved animals. This was a passion I shared with my older brother and younger sister. Every time my family would visit a relative or travel, we would almost always go to the nearest zoo. We loved to see these wild animals up close, and wished we could take them home. We, however, never left a zoo empty handed. What better way to cap off a trip to the zoo than to visit the gift shop a buy some of the plastic zoo animals.

After a while, we collect a large variety of these plastic zoo animals from zebras, polar bears, and penguins to kangaroos, bald eagles, and narwhals. We couldn’t, however, just leave this menagerie lying in bins and buckets in the basement. We had to show off and exhibit these magnificent beings. So, we created a zoo for them in our basement.

Our basement zoo consisted of themed habitats for creatures from similar parts of the earth. We made a few visits to our local hobby shop to purchase fake snow, miniature trees and grass. We painted these exhibits and even created a small aviary. The zoo became the talk of the town (no, not really), but it was an attraction we forced our relatives to view. We even had a “live” animal show where we would wrestle a 4 foot plastic alligator and komodo dragon. Of course, we accepted donations and in return the donors were honored by having one of the exhibits named after them.

The zoo was entertainment and science. We transformed objects into ecosystems.

Barbie

When I was a Kid I would spend hours playing with my Barbies. I had a huge collection and would use whatever I found to create huge mansions for the dolls. I could spend the whole day creating the whole house, each room, a swimming pool and only the next would I actually play with the dolls. That really helped me enhance my creativity and also allowed me to be whoever I wanted while playing. I could be brave, courageous, I could have many friends, I could do whatever I wanted, I could create my own stories.

Since I was a child I traveled a lot by road, I loved seeing landscapes. Now as an adult, I am a geologist specialized in how mountains are formed.

Meet Nancy! She must be about 35 years old now, and some of the paint has chipped off, but she’s still with me. My brother and I would spend hours knitting long ropes and competing with each other to make the longest one. There was a certain satisfaction when the rope started coming out, or when the wool changed colour. My grandmothers used to help us to get started, and always had endless supplies of scrap wool at hand. Now my daughters have their own modern plastic versions, and they too enjoy knitting ropes.

Enquanto lia sobre as engrenagens eu lembrava das minhas miniaturas uma caixa cheia com bonequinhas, flores, árvores, fogões, xícaras, pratos, cama, tv, armário, animais, o prato de comida do cachorro, os ossinhos, os personagens de heróis que se comunicavam comigo, quantas vezes eu voei com o super man, os brinquedos de parque que eu colocava no quintal da casa imaginando o quanto seria bom ter um parque particular e as estórias eram muitas, muitas vezes narradas, outras não podiam ser ouvidas, nossa quantas lembranças, passei boa parte da minha infância brincando com minhas miniaturas e tudo era possível e não havia limites para a imaginação.

Per me l’infanzia é stata una fase molto importante, dove ho appreso e capito molte cose della vita. Questa immagine mi fa ricordare gran parte di questo periodo ed é stato l’oggetto che più lo rappresenta.

[Round 3] Introduce yourself!

Your post (which I read with Google Translate :slight_smile: ) reminds me of so many childhood memories of inventing stories with my toys, and how the world held so many possibilities - every tiny thing, a flower, a rock had expressive potential. I sometimes try to think about how that sense of expansive possibility can be continued on as an adult.

Wow, what a lovely tool! I feel inspired to try one out. It would be cool to see what you and your family create with it, if you are interested in sharing, maybe in the Making Something thread?

Sounds like magic :slight_smile: and what an amazing long-term, collaborative project! I’m very interested in how compelling it can be to create your own worlds, and spaces, and how that kind of immersive environment can be a powerful context for making and learning.

Also today in Lifelong Kindergarten we were talking about the Scratch design studios (places for creating projects around a theme), and your project makes me think a little bit about this studio: All About Animals

What a great story! Cool to see how you re-used the materials for something new :slight_smile: do you still like making jewelry? What have you been creating lately?

Amazing to see all the ways that cardboard can be used, such as great material for projects! I like how you made your own! It makes me think about the Duct Tape Network, our colleague Leo has been working on developing creative learning activities with accessible materials like cardboard.

How lovely! Your family workshop looks beautiful! What kinds of projects have you been working on together in that space? Which tools have been particularly useful? I am working right now to make a small craft studio for some students, and am curious to hear the experiences of others.

Love the picture and beautiful colors in the dough! :slight_smile: So cool how your family has developed this tradition. And we were just experimenting with making playdoh recently here in Lifelong Kindergarten! Really cool how it provides a tactile experience with making mixtures and creations, and so many storytelling possibilities. @tarmelop and I made a project with the dough about a turtle, took a picture, and uploaded it as a sprite in a Scratch project, was fun moving between physical and digital making! Our team also discovered that it is important to add salt if you want to use it again, otherwise it molds…

Beautiful story, thank you for sharing! :slight_smile:

Here’s some knitting my 6 year old daughter has done. The pink sequinned number is a tube dress, modeled by Princess Poppy the unicorn :))

I love it! The sequins are a great touch :slight_smile:

Omagles! They were hollow plastic tubes, 3D L / T / X / etc shaped joints, and snap-on square panels that could be used to create structures that you could climb on. A bit like a pillow fort construction kit, but you could create and do so many different things with them.

I couldn’t find any photos from my childhood of these (and they are no longer produced!), so here’s a Tweet I found with some examples of structures and other creations made with them:

We’d see how tall we could make the structures before they’d wobble under the stress of our weight. We’d make swords and play-fight with them. We’d create massive block robot suits and walk around wearing them. A toy kit with wide walls, one might say!

They made me think about how structures are built by people. As I’d look at chairs, houses, and other construction in my life, thanks to having played with these objects I could imagine how those were built. Joints and poles and panels – I could make something like that! I’d admire impressive structures equipped with a different lens.

Last year I shared my wooden blocks. This year I’d like to share my childhood paper dolls. I would spend hours cutting my dolls and their different outfits. It was a treat to imagine all she could wear and what was happening in her life as she wore it. They would take me to an imaginary world that would captivate me for hours at a time. With them I would device stories beyond my own, imagine settings I had never been to, travel to places, become a different person, grow up for a moment, and become a child the next.

It helped me develop the ability to move outside of my current state to learn something new. Learning often takes out from the familiar to the unfamiliar. That was exactly what my paper dolls did to me :).

I will always cherish my days playing with paper dolls.