LCL

[Wk 1 Activity] Childhood Objects

I had trouble thinking of one particular object. I remember really enjoying making, crafting, and tinkering as a kid. Including taking things apart to see how they work. So I’d pick wrenches, screwdrivers, tweezers, etc!

Meus objetos de infância foram os gibis.
Eu adorava o professor Pardal e o Franjinha.

Ciao sono Emily Di Benedetto ho deciso di mettere questa foto perché con questa bambola ho trascorso una parte della mia infanzia.
È stata una figura molto importate perché portavo questo bambola ovunque, dormivamo, mangiavamo e giocavamo sempre insieme.
Tutti i tipi di giochi sono molto importati nell’infanzia e sopratutto nella vita dei bambini.
Il gioco è molto importante perché crea l’essere di un bambino, mette in mostra gli Stati d’animo di un bambino, ed è anche un modo per relazionarsi con il mondo che ci circonda e con persone esterne!.

Per me l’infanzia é stata una fase della mia vita molto importante, dove ho appreso e capito molte cose della vita. Questa immagine mi fa ricordare gran parte di questo periodo ed é stato l’oggetto che più lo rappresenta.

Per me l’infanzia è stata una fase della mia vita molto importante, dove ho appreso e capito molte cose della vita. Per me questa immagine mi fa ricordare gran parte di questo periodo ed è stato l’oggetto che più lo rappresenta.

Ciao sono Silvia
Per me l’infanzia é stata una fase della mia vita molto importante. Questa immagine mi fa ricordare gran parte di quel periodo perché ho vissuto momenti indimenticabili pieni di felicità e soprattutto di gioia. immagine

Ciao, mi chiamo Erika e la mia infanzia è stata una fase molto importante. Ho capito l’importanza di molte cose, ad esempio la famiglia e l’importanza di non rompere nessun gioco comprato o regalato. Mi sono affezionata molto al castello delle principesse, regalatomi dai miei zii per il mio quinto compleanno.

Massachusetts - agreed that the sand composition makes a big difference! I love the Maine coast, beautiful! Here in MA there are sometimes sand sculpture shows, seems it is a popular local medium…

(photo from http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20130703/NEWS/307039378)

When I was younger, my sister and I would spend hours preparing to play with our Barbie dolls. Yes, you read right: preparing, not playing. We would sit on the carpet of our room’s floor and tried to design our doll’s house. She would design hers usually making it big enough to fit her several “children”, and I would create mine with large imaginary gardens so that my imaginary pets would play in them. We would use or fingers to mark the lines on the carpet, and we placed our Barbie’s furniture inside. After we were done, playing with our doll’s wasn’t as exciting as re-designing the houses all over again.

Those moments were very special as my sister and I were able to freely share our ideas and compare and contrast the differences in our thinking. Right now, as I look back on those days, I realize that it was moments like those that made me the detail oriented person that I am today. It also taught me a lot about teamwork and given and receiving feedback because we would always criticize each other’s creations to make it better the next time.

SX466

Sempre fui muito tímida e introvertida. Gostava muito de estudar e adquirir novos conhecimentos. Passava horas brincando sozinha com brinquedos que eu mesma pudesse desmontar e/ou quebrar, fazer novas descobertas nos brinquedos, como por exemplo: descobrir de onde vinha e como era produzido o choro das bonecas, entender o funcionamento de um mini game, etc.
Até hoje gosto de entender como as “coisas” são construídas, tem que ter sempre um porquê.

Hola a todos
Recuerdo que me encantaban las máquinas registradoras de los grandes centros comerciales, que visité en la compañía de mi hermosa Mami, cuando era posible las tocaba, cuando no me veían, porque no era permitido, así que se me ocurrió que podía crear mi propia máquina registradora con una caja de cartón de galletas y los billetes los hacia con hojas de papel y así podía pasar horas y horas jugando con mi caja registradora, me gustó mucho y ahora me apasiona crear material didáctico en el Planetario Luis Enrique Erro, del IPN, el primero que se construyo en México para el público .

Esta caja registradora se parece a la que yo construí en mi infancia.

Why Childhood Objects?

I loved Tinkertoy!

Per me l’infanzia é stata una fase della mia vita molto importante, dove ho appreso e capito molte cose della vita. Questa immagine mi fa ricordare gran parte di questo periodo ed é stato l’oggetto che più lo rappresenta.!
SL1500-1

https://goo.gl/images/f4mJB9

Questa foto rappresenta la mia infanzia, quando ero piccola giocavo in continuazione con cicciobello

When I think about Childhood objects. I think of tools, like hammer, cutters, knife, nails, nuts, bolts, adhesive. I loved making aeroplanes. I have grown up seeing trainee pilots practicing flying. Aeroplanes always fascinated me. In addition making wooden planes, I loved fixing and making. Fixing leaking pipes, roofs, something in kitchen, making toys (cars, boats). I think this always helped me to think little differently, simple and innovative. Doing by hands and tinkering involved high attention, deep engagement and creative mental processing. With my personal experience, I believe hand-on activities are important part of thinking and learning.

Minha primeira lembrança foi eu folheando a coleção de livros da minha tia, O Mundo da Criança, para ver as ilustrações e loco que me alfabetizei li todos eles. O livro com as cantigas populares e de roda, li varias vezes, adora a cantiga “Se essa rua fosse minha”, imaginava uma rua toda enfeitada de pedrinhas brilhantes. É uma lembrança afetiva muito boa.
Com 9 ou 10 anos passei a ler as coleções de revistas de assuntos gerais e lembro de uma leitura que me marcou muito, que falava sobre a construção de próteses para combatentes de guerras e pessoas feridas por explosão de minas e eu pensava quero ser uma engenheira para desenvolver aparelhos para a medicina poder ajudar estas pessoas.

Mundo_crian%C3%A7a

When I was little I used to spend all the afternoon playing LEGO with my two older brothers. We used to build huge cities. Each of us had a house, a character, and a job. We used to model and remodel our houses and enjoyed creating spontaneous problems our LEGO characters had to solve. We enjoyed the building, but also the living mode of our city. Now that I look back, I understand that I have always had a passion for sociology and human behavior.

Playing LEGO taught me to create the part of a story joining someone else’s ideas and plans. It helped me develop empathy and teamwork, as well as the creativity to solve daily life problems. image

My childhood object is an old landline phone…I should say about 10 of them which I came across at my mum’s workplace. I loved spending time in the small storage room going through old files and boxes. It was a treasury for me. One day I came across the old phones and there was a screwdriver next to them! (what a coinsidence) .I took all of them apart to the smallest parts I could…I was amazed by the amount of copper and other colourful wires, bells, dialer, speaker…

I still remember the excitement.I wasn’t able to put them back together ,but I had heaps of the colourful wire rings for me and my girlfriends!!

ring

Hi…

I remember loving taking things apart (resulting in very angry parents), to try to figure out how things work, and attempt to put it back together in different ways to see if something new happened. I did this with toys, tv remotes, plugs, musical instruments, audio cassettes and the list goes on…

As I grew up and got exposed to the world we see around us, and more importantly, the world we could not directly see around us, I got more interested on how living things work. I used to visualise parts of plants and animals separated and working independently and then fix these parts together in my head to form the complete living being… With more knowledge and exposure the urge to find out how things work took me deeper into cellular and atomic levels.

Perhaps my model has always been egged by the curiosity about how things work, and how working parts make a functional whole. I guess the childhood object that I could pick for this conversation would be a wind-up toy duck with moving feet. I remember the joy I felt when I took it apart to find working parts that would make sense…

When I remember an object from my childhood that interested me and influenced it, the first one that came to my mind was: a chalkboard for children! :woman_technologist:t4: :

quadro

It was a gift from my father - a history teacher - who, from a very early age, realized in me the need to go beyond notebooks and books to be able to learn.

With this chalkboard, I used to play and also teach. I would gather my dolls around the chalkboard and "teach them” while I was also learning my homework. I gathered - not only my dolls - in one single moment: the joy of playing with the “obligation” of the homework. In a way, I can say that: I’ve aply some “gamification” to my homework, lol.

Obviously I was producing the model of teaching and learning that I received at my school in the 1980s, but this history makes me realize were some important lessons.

1. The chalkboard also is a technology and can be used in a variety of ways, allowing the teacher to go beyond traditional teaching practices.

2. The importance of teaching active methodologies to teachers in both basic and continuing academic training, since many of them, like myself, had teachers who used traditional methodologies and, due to this, to date, reproduce these practices in the classroom with your students.

3. In this process of teaching, I also learned more and better. This is an important part of the student’s role, as often as I “taught” my dolls I was also developed new ways of solving problems, new learning strategies and the content taught in school began to have a new meaning.

I finish my reflection with the inspiring story of teacher Owura Kwadwo Hottish, Ghana, in Africa, who taught classes in the subject of Information and Communication Technology. As there were no computers in the room, he had to improvise creatively and ended up using the blackboard to draw Microsoft Word to his students.

Microsoft took the dedicated teacher to Singapore, where he had an important educational event, the Microsoft Education Exchange, and there he won his own computer to help with his homework and lessons.

Isn´t that great? :tipping_hand_woman:t4: :raising_hand_woman:t4: