LCL

[Week 6 Reflection] I used to think.. but now I think

What I use to think about creative learning is children entering the classroom with a sense of forming new ideas in their play, working collaborative or individually to make creations and speaking upon them to others such as peers, teachers and parents. But what I think about creative learning no has change based on the environment, children’s process, collaboration and the creative spiral .
The environment: Instead of a playpen environment, we need to create a playground environment where there are many possibilities and room to explore.
Children’s process: imagination is key. Whether children are in a playground, tinkering, doing projects, etc, children need to channel their imagination to create meaningful ideas and projects. Children are all different, therefore, collaboration with others is helpful to extended their learning process.
Collaboration: anything that is plan, usually isn’t executed the way it was thought of or planned. I feel like what I struggle the most is providing open ended questions as well as helping children in their creative learning process. I learn to ask authentic questions that allow for the child to speak on what they build and the process of building and developing an idea. Also, to provide material whether traditional or new technology based to help with their creative learning process.
Creative spiral: is tool is very helpful in helping me realizing that creative learning is like a spiral and how it is always ongoing. imagining, creating, playing, sharing, and reflecting, I find very important. I find it very important because these attributes can be used in play and daily living.

I used to think that formal classes are the best and each one should try his/her best to achieve something, but now I think that besides formal education, we need to create experiences outside the classroom, in the world, with different people, with people from different background, expertise.

Scratch has changed the way I look at creativity and play. I used to not think much about play. I always knew it was important but the idea of playpens versus playgrounds really hit home with me. I thought the playpen was fine, not at all realizing that it does restrict creativity. Students need a variety of materials and opportunity to develop creative learning I also realized that play is for everyone, adults and children alike. Age is not a factor for creativity, and too often I find that the opportunities to be creative are left in the early childhood classroom. I now realize how important it is to be a creative thinker, to be an X student, as it says in the book. The things I have learned through this course I will carry into the classroom with me and impart to my students.

I used to think that children engaging in any type of play is beneficial to their learning. However, as Mitch Resnick put it, “Not all play is created equal.” When allowing children to engage in play or any activity, it is necessary to ask oneself, who is doing the thinking? Are children actually thinking and discovering as they play or are they just interacting with it? Now I realize yes, it is crucial for children to learn by discovery and play, but playing on a playground with peers is much more beneficial than playing computer games. Reading the book Lifelong Kindergarten opened my eyes to how children can blossom when they are actually given a chance to create something that they are passionate about. That looks different for every child, but that is the beauty of it. I see how important it is for children to engage in things they are passionate about to fuel their desire to work hard. Simply giving children these opportunities could change their whole mindset on school and learning.

I used to think all types of play were equal, but now I think that play can be super beneficial to the creative process and learning in general. I realize play is a state of mind and not just an activity. The attitude of tinkering and play will stick with me and how I approach life, teaching and learning. Within my degree we discuss a lot about play when speaking about young children. My concentration has been elementary and special education so I would dismiss these topics as things that weren’t for my students. However I realize now all ages should utulize play. It may not look the same or be in the same format but it is still play and it is essential to the learning process. I really want to be intentional about including this in my lesson plans and allowing my students many opportunities to grow and discover.

I agree that experiences outside of the classroom are crucial and make a big difference in our development and learning! I want to be much more intentional about this in encouraging my students, supporting my daughter and my own learning.

I used to think that coding was only for people in the world of computers and technology. Now I think that coding is a skill for every discipline. No matter if you’re in business, education, medicine, psychology, or any other field… coding can be used for maximum learning benefits. I hope to someday teach and utilize scratch in my classroom to open up the minds of my students and also fellow educators.

I used to think that technology is something you cant depend on, but now I realize that although it is not entirely dependable it can be an awesome resource in helping reach many learning styles.

I use to be afraid of technology because I am not good with it. However, this has helped me realize that its nothing to be afraid of and can be used as a great resource to help reach certain kids in the classroom.

Technology can influence work in so many ways. This can be a tool to help me make learning in my classroom more fun. I can use scratch as an opener in a lesson to help draw kids in. Technology can also be a huge resource when learning new things (resources on the web). Im not going to be afraid to use technology anymore and implement it more into my classroom.

I use to think that play/tinkering was for early childhood aged students. I now understand how important creating, tinkering, and play is for all grades. It encourages personal thinking and growth. It also allows for students to cement knowledge.

I used to think play was for younger students but now I think I see that it is for ages. It’s important to just modify it based on the age. This is a great resource for elementary teachers.

I used to think that most play was centered only for younger children but now i think that it is for all students no matter their age.
I have realized that giving students the opportunity to create and imagine and design things in there class time is vital to their ability to learn.
There is a connection and more motivation from students who are thinking and creating. Also working together in groups is something that i have really never thought of. Learning is more than just desks and worksheets.

My experience with coding caused me to be very intimidated to do this program. When I was in high school I took my first computer basics course. It involved a monochromatic monitor, a large book, a 5" floppy disk, and hours of very tedious typing in dos. (Yes, I’m that old) I never understood a thing I was doing and hated that class. As a result, I was leery of starting this LCL program. I put off starting it several times. Finally, I just jumped in. Once I did, I realized that I had a total misconception based on old experiences. I would never have imagined a way for coding to be creative, interesting, or be associated with any of the 4 P’s. So long story short, I used to think that coding was boring, tedious, and annoying, but now I realize that with a little imagination and effort, (and applying the 4 P’s), nearly any task can be creative and fun.

Yes, this outlook is also what I have attained. “Now, I believe creative learning can take place anywhere…”. If I apply the 4 P’s myself, in my own situation, I can use imagination/creativity in nearly any situation.

By embracing the four P’s of learning and putting them to practice, my thinking has shifted from self-reliance to community-based learning and creativity. Growing up in a school system that emphasized completing our “own work” independently developed thinking habits that group-work is cheating. I remember how my classmates and I hid our work even in primary school to avoid being copied.

Reading Lifelong Kindergarten and being a part of the LCL community has challenged my thinking. Reading about and seeing the success that has come from individuals collaborating for ideas, for help, and for constructive feedback on Scratch projects, within the MIT Media Lab, and in the clubhouses has caused me to value collaboration-based learning and production. I am thrilled to implement the principles within my own classroom as well as the community of teachers I will be working with.

I used to think that tinkering was something only engineers or people who build things do, but now I think that tinkering is something everyone who makes something needs to do. I believe tinkering is important because it allows for trial and error and for going farther than you thought you could, whether that is drawing, painting, or writing as well as building, I now understand that tinkering is an important part of the creative process. Also, tinkering allows you to try new things and learn that failing is okay and that if you are passionate about what you are working on, you get back up and try, try again. Tinkering also changed the way I think about problem-solving. When I was making my project for the play “make and share” activity, I found myself trying to solve problems so my project would work the way I wanted it to.

I am very glad I have had the opportunity to read Lifelong Kindergarten, watch all the videos for every week, and participate in the LCL Community. This experience has been good for me I am grateful for all I have learned.

I love the question, “Who is doing the thinking?” As educators, I believe that is something we should always be asking ourselves so we encourage independence. When we do that, the children in our classroom can go and do things without having to feel like we have to be there holding their hand or looking over their shoulder while they engage in play or any other activity for that matter.

I now realize the importance of play, developing class curriculum, coding activities and fostering creativity in the classroom are highly important. I did not know to what extent that these were important. Online activities such as Scratch help children build certain skills that are necessary for education.

Play and passion are two factors in learning that I think are important; however, I always struggled with the finding ways to incorporate and encourage them in an elementary school classroom. In reading Lifelong Kindergarten and participating in the modules, I have found that there are many ways to do this all it requires is a shift in perspective.

I like how you mention that tinkering changed “the way [you] think about problem-solving” as you worked to have your project turn out the way that you wanted them to. I had the same experience in completing my project.

I understand where you are coming from in initially being hesitant to use technology due to its dependability and not being good with it. Throughout this whole process of reading Lifelong Kindergarten and completing the LCL modules, however, I am beginning to see the different benefits and possibilities that the use of technology brings about.