LCL

[Week 6 Activity] Design a Creative Learning Experience

Since I am going to be an future educator one way I plan on supporting creative learning is by allowing my students to use Scratch in my classroom to help with projects and learning games. The students can have their own scratch club and they can work on it in class during their free time or during projects. This gives students a chance to see if they are interested in coding. This also allows them to tinker with the site and come up with many different ideas. I don’t want for the kids to just experience scratch but the teachers as well and how it can be an impact in the classroom to help students learn and expressing creativity. I want to offer many opportunities in my classroom for students to learn new things and be creative. The 4P’s concept will help me stay on task with allowing students to be more creative in my classroom.

During one of my practicums, I spent some time in a preschool that used the Reggio Emilia approach to learning. In this process, the students were provided with many different resources and encouraged to - individually and cooperatively - experiment with them and see how they work and/or what happens when they combine different materials. This type of teaching also utilizes learning through play (e.g., with everyday items, nature item, or clay) and student interests. The Reggio Emilia approach worked very well for the children in this classroom made evident by the learning gains that I saw in just a few weeks of visiting the classroom. In more mainstream/traditional elementary school classrooms this type of approach is removed and replaced by lectures and worksheets. Utilizing the 4 P’s I would love to create an area in my future classroom that blends a mainstream classroom with Reggio Emilia learning and encourages students to explore and problem solve. This center would include - but not be limited to - building blocks, coins, and nature items. Students would be invited to utilize this space during inside recess and during center or brain break times. The center could also be used when teaching subjects like math for those students who need a more hands-on approach.

I love the idea of making homemade playdough and having the children use it to make things. I tried something similar to this with two children that I babysat. They helped me make the dough and then when it was finished we sat together and used it to make different shapes, animals, etc. It was amazing to watch their excitement as they combined the materials and watched it turn into playdough and to watch them “test” the new dough that they made.

I love this idea, and I think it is a great way to fit creative learning into an already busy day of learning. I also like the idea of creating a “class museum” for them to display what they created; it would be a fantastic way for children to showcase children’s work and encourage collaboration.

I’m not sure that I have one particular project in mind, but I do want a project to derive from what the students are interested at that time.
I have heard of one project that I really enjoyed and thought beneficial (thematic unit). The project was based on a book where a grandmother is making a dessert and at the end of the book it gave the recipe. from there her students were interested in that recipe. so that lead into looking at recipes, learning about measurements, creating their own recipe, learning about business and how to advertise etc., so that they could sell the treats they all agreed to sell at the end of this project. the students then turned their classroom into a store where other classes and faculty could come and purchase what the students made.

I do not exactly have a specific project in mind, but I have the essence of an idea. Being in the education field, I will not know who I am designing the project for until I meet the specific students and know what is developmentally appropriate for their age. With that being said, I would create a project that would allow students to express themselves, while maintaining the fun of peer interaction and play. For example, for kindergarten, I would have students build the letters using different types of materials; pool noodles, rope, blocks, cardboard, etc. Students would be allowed to work in groups to ensure they are learning to work collaboratively with their peers. After all the letters are made, we could use the letters in a alphabet match game. This project would most likely take several weeks to complete, but students would become familiar with each letter on a personal level. I believe they would retain the information and of course the hands on and game increases the likely-hood of that as well.

I would love to use scratch to build lessons for my students to interact with. This idea was inspired by my friend @elisananna12 who created an interactive activity on scratch to learn Spanish. I would love to make interactive lessons into scratch for different discipline areas like math or science.

I like how your activity incorporates both the students and the teachers. When the teachers get involved with the projects, the students recognize that teachers are also in a learning process, and the teachers and students become learners together. This presents unique and special experiences for students.

The 4 P’s emphasize the unique creativity of individuals as well as the creativity of a collective community as the individuals learn from and build on each other’s unique ideas.

To provide opportunities for my early childhood/ elementary students to discover the gifts that are inside of them and to grow the gifts, I would like to set up multiple stations in my room that hone in on creative skills that are not necessarily built into the daily curriculum such as engineering (Legos, blocks), art, music, and more. To spark ideas in the students, I would post previously created projects as well as thought prompts such as, “Create a piece of art that illustrates a moment of joy or frustration in your life,” or “Develop a project that would help make classroom routines more efficient.” These are just some beginning thoughts; however, I believe that I can continue building on them as I prepare for the classroom next Fall!

This is a great idea and an awesome way for students to express themselves. Also a great opportunity for an informal assessment. To see where your students are creatively, how they work with peers, what they are passionate about and how they problem solve. I think your future students will love this!

Butterfly Life Cycle
In one of my practicums my cooperating teacher taught about the butterfly cycle. To bring this lesson to life she brought in chyrsalis and allowed the students to make observations. The teacher taught about the butterfly cycle in a whole group setting using interactive writing, shared reading and read alouds. This allowed students to make connections and build background knowledge. Then students had the opporunity to collaborate with peers as they made new discoveries. Each morning the students were excited/passionate about checking on the butterflies progress.
This project is interactive and allows the students to particpate in their learning experience. This course emphasize heavily on. Students learning can vary in many of ways, therefore it doesn’t have to consist of worksheets. As a future educator it is important to get creative and allow students to discover their creative abilities.

This is such a good idea! I can see how students would interact and transfer knowledge into practice with real items from nature.

Wow! looks neat! I want to learn how to do that.

I’ve always vacillated between wanting to be an art educator and wanting to be an elementary teacher. However, over my years in university I have learned that the two can very frequently overlap in authentic contexts. One learning experience I would love to facilitate in my classroom would involve the exploration of art in a variety of mediums. Using art allows students who love to create to practice that skill, and gives students who do not like to create the ability to safely make mistakes and do something for the sake of process, not product. Although I am not certain of how I would execute this exactly, I know that art can help supplement a variety of content-area skills, such as colors, measurement, numbers, geometry, literacy, history, science, and etc., but developmental skills as well, like fine-motor skills and spatial awareness. Giving students the opportunity to freely experiment with a variety of materials in different contexts would help my students explore, therefore I would enjoy incorporating this in my classroom.

Thank you! I had not thought of it as being a way to informally assess the children, but that would be a good way to do that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

It sounds like I would absolutely love to be in your classroom! All those different centers that spark creativity and provide a wide variety of activities will be wonderful for the children in your classroom to explore their interests.

This is such an amazing and creative rock climbing wall. All created in a safe space and under supervision. It is possible to just do DIY things for children in the classroom

Since I will be working with EL students, I would love to have different interactive literacy centers in my classroom. For instance, one spot would have multiple dictionaries and colored highlighters and pencils where students can practice spelling and writing. Another center would have 2-3 Ipads with interactive games. Next, another idea is incorporating manipulatives and blocks where children can play and use their imagination. Also, a reading center would be appropriate to develop reading skills(different versions and language of books could be available as well). The purpose is to create interesting, cooperative, digital, and passionate learning environments-such as the 4 P’s learned in this course.