LCL

[Week 6 Activity] Design a Creative Learning Experience

Currently, I am working on create a talk/workshop to raise awareness about online security for kids. I am part of a training program for women in cybersecurity. I have attended to different activities related to cybersecurity (tech and non tech).
I have talked to people with experience in this kind of activities and we came up with nice ideas:

• create games for the kids where they can create their own reliable passwords
  • organize a game where kids understand how internet works and what is encryption and other tools for security
  • create games where kids can learn to recognize fake web sites that might want to still their information

I have been thinking a lot about how to make this more interactive, and when I saw the class about Play, I realized, it is just better to propose activities and games for every topic to share.

This sounds like an amazing classroom! I’m curious how they create their own words. Do you have any examples? As a language teacher I find this intriguing, and would love to know more, to get ideas for my classes!

I love this project! After reading 1984 I knew I wanted to do a project like this. The idea that limiting the amount of words as a way to control a population instantly made me think that by empowering students with more words we could create new ideas.

I have the same students for 4th and 5th grades. I tell them at the beginning of 4th grade that they will make a new word: a word that does not yet exist, but that we need in our evolving language before the end of 5th grade.

I read excerpt to the from the book “Words on the Move.”

We read the book Frindle to begin questioning where words come from.

We learn parts of speech with fidelity and analyse a sentence each day for parts of speech.

We learn 5 Greek or Latin stems each week and have cumulative tests.
Once students learn these stems, they see them in all sorts of words and it helps them understand the deeper meaning of the word. For example - de means down and sol means alone… so someone feeling desolate must be feeling thrown down and alone.

We read Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and the Phantom Tollbooth and keep lists of all of the funny word play.

We watch the TED videos with Erin McKean (I have to edit her language a bit) to learn about how dictionaries are compiled.

We learn all the parts of a dictionary entry.

We read chrome-extension://ecnphlgnajanjnkcmbpancdjoidceilk/content/web/viewer.html?source=extension_pdfhandler&file=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lee.k12.nc.us%2Fcms%2Flib03%2FNC01001912%2FCentricity%2Fdomain%2F1362%2Fread%2520works%2FA%2520New%2520Letter%2520for%2520the%2520Alphabet.pdf
and borrow his ideas about why we need more letters and more words.

I have a binder in my class that we call our dictionary of Sesquipedalian Neologisms ( words that are a foot and a half long) and as students create new words they are added to our binder. AND THEY ARE USED!

Some student examples are pretty basic… they string together stems to make new words - like “benevita” bene means good and vita means life - This student made a noun meaning “the good life.”

However, I sometimes get great words like one I linked at the top of this page. The student noticed that there was not a gender non-specific possessive singular pronoun… We have his and her, but nothing that could be used for either.

Some words have been made in honor of other students… like Kylie…who raised her hand constantly, but then announced that she had forgotten what she wanted to say. The word created in her honor was “loght” - which is a combination of lost and thought… It is an action verb!

Please let me know if you have any questions and/or (anor… as one of my students created) actually try the project and how it works for you.

Yeah, a good analogy :slight_smile: Just never know what you are going to get or what kind of experience it might be which makes it fun for everyone participating :slight_smile:

This is really cool! Love the movement and simplicity of them! Thanks for sharing!

I am currently working with a Y5 (9-10 yo) class using Scratch. The children’s previous experience has not been solid so I began with a structured approach in order to give them the grounding they need. I have limited the type of blocks being used but encouraged children to go beyond those and to explore.

The focus of the structured project is to have sprites tell a joke, using broadcast messages to make sure that turns are taken. This has succeeded in giving the children the confidence to code.

For my next project I threw a simple challenge: create a game where a sprite (or more than one) appears and disappears randomly but is caught when clicked.

The process has been interesting: collaborative discussion gave way to role definition (some to create or find suitable sprites, others to find sound effects, etc.). The coding process was shared with lots of input and discussion between the pairs.

The progress so far is beyond my expectations: from concept to beta version took less time than I had expected; the quality of focus and concentration has been excellent and they are constantly pushing the boundaries of their knowledge by wanting to do more - “We want to add a time/scoring system. How do we do it?” My response: “Where could you find out?”

I have often thrown out such challenges and I have always been impressed with the engagement and application. There has always got to be time (for conformity and expediency reasons at least) where knowledge has to be imparted but project-based, self-propelling learning pushes boundaries further.

I have been inspired by the LCL community and the approaches being adopted by each and every one of us. We can make a difference. I know I am better placed now to do so.

I just conduct a project base learning in China. I started introducing Scratch Programming with the kids from what is stage and what is scripts. I find that kids are happy to learn and easy to pick up. Then i teach basic turn left, turn right, up and down following with introduction to GPIO. What can GPIO do dan how to control GPIO. The very first project that i did was control simple 1 LED light. After that in the group they discuss to do how to control 3 LED lights and they explore how to blink the lights and lastly they figure out how to control traffic lights.

Automata ahoy! The Exploratorium Tinkering Fundamentals: Motion and Mechanisms is really delightful.
Making sample mechanisms with left over puppet heads made my weekend.
This will bcome a project with my Gr 4. They will do boxes and gears with me and stories with classroom teacher. Super fun.

https://www.ultimatepapermache.com/new-smoother-air-dry-clay-recipe

Jonny Good has a great website. I love the silky smooth air dry paper clay recipe linked above. It is hard on my old mixer but it is just so great. I have reduced some of the stress by adding less flour initially and doing extra hand kneading. It may be an issue because I use an old mixer…

I love this! As a word nerd, it makes my poet heart sing. Do you ever invite your students to write poems or short texts with your words?

As a future educator, one thing I have noticed a lot in today’s classrooms is the heavy use of online learning games. These are deceptive and many teachers fall for the idea that they are actually beneficial to their students to support their learning. However, as someone I know once put it, these online games are “glorified worksheets.” Think for a minute who is doing the thinking and the creating. All of those things are already done and students are just blindly interacting and pressing buttons. One thing that I strongly hope to incorporate into my classroom is to take out these pointless online games and replace them with hands-on activities such as sensory tables for children to create, play, explore and tinker with objects to build something meaningful to them. Having a specific task for students to fulfill leaves everyone on the same page, but students have free choice for what they will create, design, or play with which allows them to have their own personalized learning experience.

I am currently in my senior year of completing my Elementary Education degree. As I am thinking about my future classroom, I am starting to brainstorm ideas of how I can implement creative thinking into my classroom and the Four P’s. In my past experiences in the classroom teachers are stressed just to fit in the curriculum in the time they have, and they have little time for extra activities. So, I was trying to think about the best time for creative activities and where that time can be found. In my last student teaching experience, there was always extra time at the end of the day. The teacher used that time to give students the opportunity to finish other assignments, but it ended up just being a social time for students and it was very unproductive.

I thought about how I could have turned that into a time for creative learning! At the same time everyday (or at least 2-3 times a week) we could set up a table in the middle of the class with different building and craft supplies. It could start with giving students the opportunity to create, and then turn into more as the students come up with more ideas. We could also make a “class museum” in the classroom where their projects would be displayed.

Quiero realizar un espacio para la interacción de la astronomia para niños de 4 a 8 años. Con animación, video 360. I want to create a interaction space to learn about astronomy to childrens 4 to 8 years with animations and video 360.

Up-date:
This weeks’ tinkering…
I was with a first grade all last week with no lesson plans to speak of. Whenever we had a few minutes to kill, I would let the kids play a collective game of what we used to call “Concentration”, but what kids today call “Memory”.
I remember playing it with a regular 52-card deck with my brother and, while I don’t subscribe to conventional ideas of IQ, memory is considered a major component of ‘intelligence’.
I was frustrated I couldn’t find interactive versions with themes and images I thought would excite the kids (ie. snowflakes, superheroes, robots and NYC landmarks). I thought: is there any way to make my own? Apparently there are websites where you can design your own “Memory” games. If you want to design ones of your own (I work with some teachers who make memory versions with images of students in their classes! BRILLIANT!), or use the fruits of my labor:
https://matchthememory.com/

More tinkering:
I managed to assemble a flashing LED snowflake. I’ve never worked with a circuit board before and know less than nothing about resistors, capacitors and the like. The kit did not come with instructions, but, hey, that’s one of the beauties of the Internet.
Next: a flashing LED heart. (At least the snowflake kit labeled the resistors… !)
Several science classes I’ve been in recently have circuit kits that get the students really fired up. They can configure the circuits to make things move, spin and light up. I guess I should have examed them a little more closely.
P1050531|666x500

I have an idea to write curriculum for my daughter around the 4 P’s. I especially want to find creative ways to teach math and science which tend to be trickier or tougher subjects. However, I beleive with this kind of learning it can be engaging and fun to her and really inspire real learning, creativity and understanding. It is fun to think that I can think outside of the boudns to teach my daughter. There aren’t boundaries in regards to disciplines, age, space or time as described in the video and create a unique and engaging curriculum for my daughter without bounds!

I love your thoughts on not confining art to cut and paste projects. I agree 100% and I love that you are integrating disciplines. I think this integration is where real learning and creativity takes place!

I was thinking about these principles in considering some of the challenges faced by a first-grade SPED student who was also an ELL. What child doesn’t love to build and create? I think it would be fun to make homemade playdough in various colors, then let the kids make things that (animals, shapes, etc.) that represent some of the words we’re working on. Then they could also form the letters to spell the word with the playdough, or use a toothpick to carve the name right into the object. It would be a great way for them to involve creativity in their learning.

In this project, the kids would work together to make the dough, and assist one another in forming the letters. I think it incorporates the 4P’s on a first-grade level and allows them to be freely creative in their representations. When I was a kid in school, we learned our words by writing them 24 times each on a sheet of paper and then using them in a sentence. It was tedious and terrible. Why not incorporate the 4 P’s into every subject?

I love this! I am a teacher but I absolutely adore your focus of teaching her that she is only limited by her imagination. Way back when I was in school, I learned in a very restrictive and dull environment. Read, write, and recite. I could not remember anything that way. I had to find ways to learn and retain information. I am very musical. I literally always have a song playing in my head. I learned to study for tests by putting the key points to music. Even in mid-elementary I learned to do this. I would sing my social study answers to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb” or something. Then when I took my exams, I would silently sing the answers in my head. It was a learning tool I had to develop, and I still use it today. She can come up with her own ways to involve her passions into her learning. Great ideas in your post for her project!

A project I would like to work on/have in my future classroom is a center where children can come to an open space and work on building and creating different projects with different odds and ends for supplies. However, with the group of children I hope to be working with (children with special needs who are in preschool), supervision would be necessary at all times, so the center could only be out for children to use if a teacher or an experienced volunteer was present. Having the center at a table would provide a space to make projects they are passionate about with their peers and play around and tinker with different ideas to make their masterpieces. Also, adaptations or modifications would need to be made to some of the equipment for some of the children. An adapted tray or area to work may also be necessary in the vicinity of the table if the child is not able to reach the table because of equipment. Hand-over-hand assistance may also be required which is why there would have to at least be one teacher or volunteer, if not two present, depending on how many children are working at the center. If the center could not be out every day, I would try to have it out at least once a week to allow the children to engage in this kind of play. Ideally, I would have it out all the time, but because of how full the days are and the shorter amount of time the children are at school, one day may be as much time as it could be available. To sum the description of this project up, I would like to provide a way for children in my classroom to express themselves even if it is only possible for a short amount of time each week.

I think that would be a great way to use that time. My idea is similar, but my age range is for little people in preschool and is during a set-aside time of the day. Having a class museum is really creative and is something I am sure the children would enjoy.