LCL

[Week 6 Activity] Design a Creative Learning Experience

I really like this idea! We try to do the same through a variety of conversation and hands on project based experiences with the collection and using digital media as to help creatively express their own interpretations and perspectives from the objects they are interested in. So glad to connect with another museum person interested in object based engagement for creative expression!

Love this idea. Kind of like a literary “Exquisite Corpse.”

I have a little bit of that dream too… :slight_smile:

Hey, I like your site! I think I’m going to check the music section and see if I can get some ideas.

Thanks for sharing!

(Edit: I just surfed some more. And as someone very skeptical about gamification, I must say I’m not really into points and badges. Yet, you seem to have many projects and ideas. Cool!)

As I exposed several weeks ago (in this post), I’m in the middle of an after-school workshop on Music for Videogames. The essential idea is for kids to look for a game in the Scratch website, remix it, and add to it sound effects and music of their own. They are using Scratch itself to explore and create musical ideas.

Having worked as a music teacher for several years, this is my current approach for getting away from upper-middle class kids learning Mozart, somewhat pushed by their parents (an important part of my former job) towards a more creative approach to music.

As I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and as I’ve already had 5 workshop sessions, I wanted to reflect here a little bit about it, based on this course structure (our P’s!). But, as this post is growing to be pretty long (I haven’t even finished it yet…), I’ll share here with you a link to my thoughts on the subject.

Feedback is really appreciated!

[Reflection 2] How do you facilitate projects?

Hi Stefania,

I worked also on an eTwinning project in which pupils from Greece and Croatia created animated stories on Internet safety with Scratch.

(Creative) life: Society as a ‘lab’

How would be life, if what we could turn our struggles into challenges, and these challenges into projects with support (and mentoring)?

Basically, my goal is to work on the CONTEXT of our lives. On a daily basis, we have struggles, so basically what I would like to catalyze is an environment where each of us can post something as basic as his or her difficulties on trying something. From my own experience, with the right people, (different backgrounds, different contexts, different knowledge, different know-how) this can lead to ‘serendipity’ ( which is not ‘luck’, but more as something ‘unexpected + useful’, as Ethan Zuckermann have described).

I have thought on this for a while, and the 4Ps are priceless for thinking on this:

The P of ‘projects’, in other words trying, is the beginning of everything, as was described. The Passion might be harder to identify, but one signal of it can be the fact that people goes to a place looking for help (maybe something virtual, a physical place or even a place for sending letters). The help would come from Peers, and everything should be surrounded by a safe environment to ‘play’ (or thinkering).

I really want to start this, basically because I have experienced an environment like this globally but not locally. In Medellin, Colombia, not many people takes have had the possibilities I have had of studying with MOOCs or with this amazing course (even though they are open for all). One big barrier is the language, but it is not the only one, so what I want by CREATING something like this is, as everyone else i would like to benefit, find those “struggles” and look for solutions with peers, passion, play and projects.

If you were going to start something like this in your city, how would you start? ( Sadly, I have low technical skills, but I’m open to constantly learn, so be open in your advices…)

Thank you in advance to all, and I’m so glad to find so many people interested in creating a learning society !!!

PS: Extra inspiration for me comes from the ‘antidisciplinary’ approach of the MIT Media Lab. https://jods.mitpress.mit.edu/pub/AgeOfEntanglement

I joined this course in order to have the chance to interact with the Scratch Team and get information as to when Scratch for iPads will become available. However, I got a lot more than that. I was exposed to innovative ideas on how to help students become creative thinkers and much more!

I see now things related to teaching with a different way and althought I have never worked before with robotic kits I decided to run an after school club for pupils 6-10 years old.

Pupils will work with LEGO WeDo 2.0 and Scratch to build their own interactive creations. Thus, I hope they will have the opportunity to “work on Projects based on their Passions and collaborate with Peers in a Playful spirit” (Mitchel Resnick, LCL).

If anyone from this creative community is aware of useful link(s) on LEGO WeDo & Scratch for beginners, please do share those with us!

Great!

If anyone from this creative community is aware of useful link(s) on LEGO WeDo & Scratch for beginners, please do share those with us!
I’d love to hear links too. I have really stuck with the prefab instructions and programming with the Wedo in the first year and asked my students to make their own builds and apply programming to it with mixed success. I’d love to integrate Scratch into the mix. We are signed up for a ‘scratch arcade’ activity later this year so I’ll have to get my skills up to scratch (cheeeeesy grin).

Wow! Thanks for sharing the amazing pictures.

Instead of creating a new creative learning environment, I am going to help my elementary daughter see that she can get creative even when in a highly restricted learning environment. I’m a parent, not a teacher.

My “project,” is to have her realize that she has control and freedom within restriction.

First project : doing her school work in a way far different than what she’s used to seeing. For example, show her unexpected ways of doing her current project on African Desert Biome instead of their current plan of an essay and a shoe-box diorama. Her using unexpected tools may expand the possibility for other kids.

Possibility could be creating a walk-in diorama, using QR codes, video presentations, etc.

Difficulty is the expected resistance due to social pressure on girls to be average (not stand out/ not be better than others). There is a silent and violent backlash against girls who “show off.” This is very real and very silent. Will be difficult but will see how I can get around it.

In my life before being a teacher, I worked in a startup using Agile Scrum methodology. Now I am trying to apply that process to the learning environment, step by step.

Up to now, I tried the method described below on several courses (from 4 days to 3 months) for post-high school diploma students, with results that have greatly encouraged me. In the near future I would like to apply it also in high school; feedback and hints from LCL community would be of great help and much appreciated :white_flag:

I saw that @PabloSilva is also an Agile passionate, please share your experience!

My Scrum method for education (up to now):

• teams of 4-5 students (possibly four)
  • students talk about problems they feel; a project to resolve one of these problems is outlined with the help of the teacher, feasible in the framework of the course
  • the Product Owner is usually the student that proposed the problem or feel it most
  • Scrum Master is the teacher
  • planning is done with stories in the form:
    As , I want in order to .
  • each story has an estimation in “points”
  • each story has a demonstration that has to be as specific as possible
  • sprints are one or two weeks long
  • demo day: 10-15 minutes to demo all the stories; stories are passed or failed, nothing in between

I have to insist a lot on the fact that Product Owner is not a Product Manager: everyone
is peer to each other, but with roles. This is one of the most difficult concepts to unfold, but
when they got it, they are a huge step towards a good collaboration in a team.

According to me, another important thing to explain is that points per sprint are specific to each team, and points are not man/hours. Changing the team members unpredictably changes the points per sprint: you do not know what will happen when you add a people to the team, the number of points per sprints may also decrease if people do not work fine together. This set the tone that people are not workers that can be piled in a stack but give the right weight to individuals and interactions (the first agile value).

“Strictness” of the scrum master (i.e. the teacher) is crucial. At the beginning, students may feel frustrated by such strictness, but with time they will appreciate and will also enjoy it!

About daily scrum meeting: I tried to apply it, but with poor results. Also in my startup experience, I think that this is one of the most difficult scrum practice. It is very hard to talk in an intimate environment without feeling in awe.

The four P

I tried to apply the four P to this method, it has been very useful and I gained a lot of insight and awareness!

Project

The whole thing is project-based: students think about a project and realize it using Agile/Scrum.

Peers

Scrum is strongly based on peers collaboration. As I said, one of my main goals is to pass the idea that people have different
attitudes and expertise, different roles, but as long as we have the same goal they are all “peers”. There is no-one “managing” other people.

Passion

The project is proposed by students based on their needs and their problems. This give a huge thrust to everything: in a short time I saw people working by themselves, without the need of my incentive.

Play

This is the most critical P for me. Probably the question is very deep, since many people think that Agile is little more than a game, and this is worsened by some presentations of Scrum that show fancy practices of doubtful value (play is not equal to learning or being productive :slight_smile: ). I think that this is also related to a certain view of the work (and life) as pain (maybe a Catholic influence?). But based on what I learnt on this course, I want to try to give a different interpretation of “Play”. One of the most interesting things in Scrum methodology is that “fail” is perfectly acceptable: the Agile methodology itself is born because people are wrong fairly often than they do right! Teams do not have to reach the 100% of stories done at each sprint: every team does its best, see the result, reason about it, and try to make better at the next sprint. The possibility to fail makes students work in a different way: they can experiment several possibilities and process variant, select what is most suitable for their needs and their team, continuously learning from their mistake. Some teams start with an high success rate (around 100%) from the very beginning, some others start with a very low rate (less than 30%), but teacher can be sure that they will improve, not in a linear way, but constantly learning.

The following picture was taken during the Maker Faire Rome, last Sunday. It was the stand of an high school in Vicenza, the ITS Meccatronico Veneto. They did this work together with a local company.

[quote=“lcl-team, post:1, topic:547”]
Share an idea for a project you want to work on to support creative learning

Complete a year of Scratch at my elementary school, encourage the kids to keep learning.

Describe your project and how it connects to the ideas in the course
Learning how to apply high floor, low ceiling and wide walls

Exchange feedback with other participants in the community

Wow, what you are doing in Chicago is really great! And on such an elaborated scale!

The museum I am talking about is a tiny museum in Brussels run by one man who is quite overworked and there is no money… with another social organization from the neighbourhood (where I worked at the time) we did several film projects with this museum in the past and that’s how I got to know it.

But for the moment it’s just an idea and we have to search for funding. But on the other hand: a project like that (giving youth the role of explorers of the collection, or: curators) could maybe give a new boost to the museum and help us find that funding.
And it helps to know that other people like you are doing this successfully already… so it’s not just some ‘wild idea’.

I would love to visit your museum one day. Here in Brussels my favourite museum is the Natural Sciences Museum… let’s say the Brussels Field Museum :wink:

So cool! Love the creative use of materials! Have you seen Arthur Ganson’s kinetic sculptures?

Finally this is the result. I use Scratch and build up an italian geography game. I think I could develop it with my students. They could remix my game and create different versions of it I guess. Doing Tinkering before was useful to fix goals and imagine what I want to do. I like spirals that’s why Gobo do that. I am exhausted it took so much effort. I’ll be glad if I receive any kind of feedback. Enjoy the weekend. Many thanks for everything. Glad to join this course and this community.

Hi Lily!
Thank you so much! I don’t know Ganson’s work. Just went to his website. Especially like 'My Little Violin" and the Homage to Tinguely (whom I’ve also admired since childhood). Some of his work also reminds me of Tim Hawkinson. Again, thanks so much for the compliment and the recommendation! Happy tinkering!

This weekends’ tinkering:
attempts to riff on last years’ holiday “card” (a conventional video triggered by scanning a QR code)

produced a couple of alternative 3D videos: (The only caveat: they all insisted on downloading upside down and wouldn’t let me rotate them!)
one anaglyphic (red & cyan) SY300
42476849 holiday anaglyphic
and one side by side version for VR headset viewing.
42476832 holiday VR
(I e-mailed myself the VR version and could view it on my smartphone right-side-up IF I held it perfectly flat.)
Still working on an avatar version and looking into a holographic version.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS and HAPPY TINKERING! gif
PS The quest continues for a more graceful way to access the video. Ideally, a still frame from the video would act as the trigger, but, the only way I’ve found to do that requires a couple of extra steps of the viewer (ie. one can access the video from the screenshot below, but only by installing the Aurasma app and ‘following’ the “aurasmatiste.” (creator?) (not good for some of my more technologically-challenged friends and family). It’s looking like I may have to develop my own app.

In 2014, the NYC subway system used ads as triggers to make artwork come to life, accessed through their app: NOAD: http://noad-app.com/
You can scan the ad below with the NOAD app:

Likewise, one of my favorite AR artists is accessed via her app, install ZENKA AR Prints app to view:

And artist Sarah Tse through her app: http://www.sarahtse.com/

Wow! Thanks for sharing some amazing creative learning experience pictures!:green_heart: