LCL

[Week 6 Activity] Design a Creative Learning Experience

Share an idea for a project you want to work on to support creative learning:
http://classroomcloseup.org/segments/stem-stations/
Here is a video that showcases a learning space that we created for our Special Needs 3-5 students to have a positive makers learning experiences. It really showcases Projects, Passion, Peers, Play, and we even have “Purpose” as we have the general edu peers come in and learn from our “special engineers” experts. Now that we are in year two I would like to connect it to the community some how.

Describe your project and how it connects to the ideas in the course:
I am thinking of maybe having them create items to sell in local stores, or maybe create digital art to showcase in the local library. But I could REALLY use any ideas from others as I want to involve the community outside of our school.

Thank you, Skye Donzelli (Teacher & Author of Selfie Sam’s Coder Club Adventures in Scratch)

Hi @JimmyKing,
I have not personally used mapmap with my elementary students: our tech consultant introduced it to me to use with them. It is totally appropriate. Shorter works better with films. gifs are great. If you hit any roadblocks, let me know and I’ll pull it out and see if I can help out.
I’ve been wondering if I can make it work with Morfo, which is very fun. That can be fun too with kids and story telling. I think I paid around 3$ for the app.

One of my big creative experiences as a child was a puppeteering workshop with a couple of wild and wonderful storytellers, Big D and Roy Ness. We made our own puppets and puppet shows. Some people get freaked out by puppets, but I think they are wonderful. I regularly watched Jim Henson’s The Muppet Show and consider him one of my Canadian heroes.
I really recommend the silky smooth air dry paper clay for puppets on a stick… a styrofoam ball on a barbecue skewer (a little dab of hot glue is helpful so your puppet doesn’t end up headless), the one shown here is a little short armed… I tried doing one hand on each end. simple pipe cleaner to attach neck and arm.

IMG_7590

Creative idea, indeed!

My plan is to ask my year 6 Code Club members to use Scratch to create a vote counting app.
In the Summer term, pupils form ‘parties’ that take part in an election. They generate publicity, present their manifesto and go through ‘hustings’. Party members present ideas that they are passionate about and appeal to their peers; the voting ‘public’. The Parliament Project always brings our opinion and passion with children engaging in debate. Historically, votes are cast on paper voting slips, mirroring the real voting system, but I would like to ask the Code Clubbers to create a voting app. Should be fun!!

Hi Carlo,
I am assessing the feasibility to create a club of scratch and robotics, for kids 5-16 years old, as after school program.
What kind of advise you could provide me?
Do you have an idea of the process I should be following?
Man Thanks,
Eddy
eboumaiza@gmail.com

My dream is to run a creative learning centre in disadvantaged areas for students who do not have many creative learning opportunities due to lack of facilitation and guidance from adults. I learnt so much from 4Ps, and would explore more of the computer clubhouse and the Scratch community to learn how they run such a creative learning community.

I have a few ideas I’ve been tossing around in my head as I prepare to return to the classroom next school year, but I’m not quite ready to share those. Instead, I’ll share a personal project I’d like to work on. I’m a fan of surf art and I follow several on social media. I recently saw someone paint a guitar with a modern style surf scene. I’ve got an old toy ukelele that warped and the separated. I want to see if I can get my son to help me put it back together and then paint it with a cool surf scene. I think working on it together could be a fun project. He’s not too into the painting part of it, but he’d be excited about the taking it apart and putting it back together part. I’ve always enjoyed being creative and painting and drawing, but I don’t find time to do it very much anymore. This seems like a good opportunity.

My CREATIVE PROJECT is to bring playful tinkering into my undergraduate courses in teacher preparation. I have brought in boxes of loose objects before, and I’ve set up a writing/drafting/publishing station within our once-a-week classroom, but - - BLAH! - - not much happens. If it is not ‘assigned’ or ‘graded’ or ‘on the Test’ then they wonder, why bother?!? Me, too! I recognize they have busy, busy lives, competing demands on their time and academic space. Why bother with an open-ended, non-consequential activity. I appeal to their better natures, reminding them how very much I believe in their passion for teaching. I model projects I’m working on. I set up collaborative activities for them to complete with their peers. But still get challenged: "What’s the point?"
Even though I’ve already implemented many principles from this Learning Creative Learning course on Lifelong Kindergarten, I think I have been missing this vocabulary, these explanatory ideas, and the details of how it enriches learning. I’m wondering how to include more content in my intro, rather than leaving them to meander aimlessly hoping to find purpose and reason for their creative efforts. This course, these videos and readings, and of course our powerful dialogues and discussions, have helped me solidify my orientation to tinkering. Thank you! Any ideas on how to clarify and set a purpose for play in undergraduate teacher prep coursework?
Josh

check out sphero mini which can use head tilting to guide the ball.

How frustrating and demoralizing. The fact your students won’t/don’t/can’t engage in creative play if it’s not graded is a disastrous indicator of how desperate we are as a society for freedom in play and learning. If these are teachers, it is even more sad that they consider themselves able to engage in any creative learning for their students. What is their age range?

I’m creating a deck of pattern activities which we will soon test in the field. I’m interested in the results in the developing world right now and taking the work overseas to test it’s universality.

The deck has 2D and 3D making as well as 4D (movement) and iD (see/think/imagine) cards which are designed to be no to low cost to do.

Here are two sample patterns, with 4 cards, A and B sides, per pattern:

If anyone is interested in the deck when it’s complete please message me here.

Hi Eddy,
I found very helpful to start with basic programming skills (depending on the age) using apps such as lightbot that the Grade 3-5 loved.

Then moving into Scratch and then robotics where they can apply the skills learned for coding.

Show them a few basics then give the freedom to play and choose which app or activity they prefer and very important work together and help each other solve problems.
Then depending on your group you will see how to adapt the program.

I hope this helps.

Salute to your dream! Yes, we should work for the disadvantaged and marginalized people.

Creative initiative, indeed! Good luck!!

@MissMissShelly Thank you so much for your advice! I’ll definitely look into using all of those resources in after-school projects. I’m a fan of the Muppet Show myself. Making characters can be a fun way for students to think creatively and go through the design process.

Thank you very much for those precious advices.
It seems to me acceptable and prudent.

This is an amazing idea! QR codes are such a cool tool; Aurasma is a free app you should also consider for your project! Kids can film videos or design web presentations, and then link them (or basically any web content) to an image posted on a bulletin board/wall. So instead of scanning a QR code, students can use an iPad or smartphone to scan an image or word, and see it come to life on the screen! Here’s a video explaining it better than I can!

Thanks for joining in my distress. These are undergrad students in a satellite campus of a regional state university. Most are twenty-something. Most have been at work off and on since high school, many have started families, and they are not all full-time students, though their lives are over-filled with life, cares, and responsibilities. Worries over ‘grading’ and ‘testing’ is rampant, throughout education, and also (especially?) here in higher ed.
This certification program is for Early Childhood and Elementary teachers.

Yes, Alex, this is the type of protocol and activity I need to advance my undergrad’s exploration of their own creativity. Please let me know as you develop this project further along.
Josh.Thompson@tamuc.edu

My project idea is to start a virtual book club following a similar format to LCL.

I just finished reading “Daring Greatly” by Brené Brown, and it really sparked something within me. The book focuses on the importance and strength of vulnerability, the impact shame has on our lives, and how ‘showing up and being seen’ is key to living a wholehearted life. After reading the book, I felt like I learned many new things about myself (in fact, I’m going to re-read it so I can soak up and really think through the content). It’s a book that sparks some incredible conversations between friends, family members, strangers, and within ourselves.

My idea involves creating a simple website where book club members can find “challenges” for each chapter of the book (to apply the content to their lives), additional resources (TED talks, articles, etc.), and chances to get involved with one another. This could also be a Facebook group instead of a formal webpage. Once a week, or every two weeks, I want to do something like an Unhangout/Google Hangout where book club members can “meet face-to-face,” have open conversations about the book, and reflect on their own lives and experiences.

I want to do this as a pilot with some family members, friends, and acquaintances. Eventually, I’d like to create a similar group/club that focuses on educational readings and is a professional development community for educators. As a recent college grad who knows education is her passion but isn’t sure if classroom teaching is her desired niche, I think this might be a cool path to explore.

14-Quotes-by-Brene-Brown