LCL

[Week 6 Activity] Design a Creative Learning Experience

You are right respecting the opinions of your student, but you could show them games about that, and they could be inspired.
I don’ t play videogames .I just play chess online. Some days ago my daughter came back to school and she showed me http://climway.cap-sciences.net and she told me she liked so much. So I thought it could be interesting if a student would design a game like that.

MY DREAM PROJECT

In my spare time I am a volunteer at the Resistance Museum in the Brussels neighbourhood of Kuregem (which between the two World Wars was one of the Jewish quarters of Brussels).

It’s a private museum, somewhat hidden behind a big metal door, with a huge collection of photos, resistance newspapers, weapons, false identity cards etc… but exposed in a very old-fashioned way. The walls of the museum are full of photos, texts and documents, with no audiovisual supports or other use of new technologies.

The museum has hardly any financial means to survive and only one employee (the director, over 60 years old). It would be a shame if it would close.

But the museum has to be modernized, maybe also with links to modern-day stories of resistance in the world, fight against racism, discrimination and social exclusion…

I would like to design a project in which young people (let’s say: 15-25 years, or maybe also some children) would dig into the collection and imagine what kind of a museum they would like to create with that.
Which stories or objects do appeal to them? Which messages they think are important to draw from these stories and from this collection?
And: how could they present it to a new (and young) public?

In that process, in which parts of the collection should be digitized, we can use new technologies, maybe also 3D printers (work together with a FabLab, there are several nearby) and why not: even Scratch (interactive!)… many possibilities to explore with them.

In the past, we (Maks vzw) did some video projects in collaboration with this museum, in which teenagers – most of Muslim origin – met some of the old World War II resistance fighters (many of Jewish origin), interviewed them on their life stories and later on made some short (animation) films inspired on these stories.

(and at the same time I could enjoy my personal passion for this museum, for stories and storytelling, for archives…)

http://www.museumresistance.be/en/

That’s a great idea! They could also make a demo/prototype of their game that other teams could play and test.

Here in Brussels every year a Game Festival is organized with all sorts of board games. The part I like most is where non-professional game-designers present their own board games, sometimes printed with 3D printers but most of the time handmade with paper and other craft material > you get their enthusiastic explanations and you can play and test the games on the spot.

I’m fascinated by the way we can mix the 4 P’s principle described during these 5 weeks with the Krebs Cycle of Creativity described by Neri Oxman where we start to think about not living anymore in the Age of Enlightenment (“operating within discrete silos-of-thought”) but in the Age of Entanglement (“knowledge can no longer be ascribed to, or produced within, disciplinary boundaries, but is entirely entangled”).

I recently got a Sphero for my after school Tech Kids Club. Our Project out be “building a playground for Sphero”. I thought we could play first with the little rolling robot, seeing what it can do. I plan to have some simple demos ready, so the Sphero can push open a gate, bump a bell, close a switch, etc. for the students to play with. After that, I could ask students to discuss among themselves some ideas for a “playground” for Sphere, but now using the craft materials I have on hand. I would set the limits- available space, materials, time, etc. , and signals everyone must obey for clean up or testing ideas. Next we would share ideas and pick out four or five that seem most doable, saving the rest as backup ideas. Every students would have to sign up to work on one of the ideas, with each group limited to three or four members. I expect that at first many of the ideas would be copies of the demos, but with time and increasing confidence new ideas and variations will be added to the playground.

Within the next week, I hope to engage my grade 1/2 students in their first experience with Scratch Jr.! Working with a peer, and allowing plenty of time for play, I would love for them to develop an understanding of the basic features of the program, so that they can eventually demonstrate their understanding of patterns through the program, using actions, colours, sounds, Sprites, or whatever else they can come up with!

Short term, I will be co-facilitating a Coding Club at school, providing opportunities for students to either begin, or continue, their exploration of different coding programs, whether it be something we have “expertise” in, or something they have a passion for, but need the opportunity to dive into.

Also, with winter holidays coming up, I want to provide students with opportunities to tinker in areas of their choice to keep them engaged with all the holiday spirit and excitement in the air. I’ll provide them with some basic materials, but also have a “Wish List” for them to add items to that they need.

Long term, I hope to spark a long-term passion project by initiating it through play. Allowing the students to get outside and explore one of our Provincial Parks (which is in walking distance of our school and most of the students’ homes) without any planned activities or expected outcomes, will hopefully allow them to develop their own personal connection with nature, and uncover areas of interest whether it be the animals, the history, the current infrastructure development, the flooding, etc. We can then support them with projects that support their interests, questions they have, or problems they identify.

Try Dance STEAM

All of you are invited to comment, participate, and contribute!

To do:
Dance a science, technology, engineering, math, or maker idea or project.
The dance can be solo or group, choreographed or improvised, at any stage(s) of an idea or project, by the project creator(s) and/or others.

Inspiring Illustrations:

A. First artificial intelligence prototype
It was arduous to program a computer in 1956. In inventing the artificial intelligence, Logic Theorist, scientists Allen Newell, J. Clifford Shaw and Herbert Simon first simulated the program by having family members and graduate students act as individual subroutines or memory components in an enactment of the program. A computer can be analog or digital and can work in many mediums – electronics, brain neurons, dance movements.
Daniel Crevier, AI: the tumultuous history of the search for artificial intelligence, Basic Books, 1993, p. 45, quoting Simon’s autobiography.

B. Abbott and Costello’s comedy routine, “Who’s on First”
Here’s a recent performance of this routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Jg7pvVzKk&index=9&list=FLZtopBbFxXRI4NcpBzNOUMQ
Part of the reason this is funny is that baseball players have both names and positions, similar to variables in math equations and computer programs. This skit shows how we can get confused when thinking symbolically or in abstractions.

C. Dance Your Ph.D. contest
Website has videos of winning dances

D. Brown University Dance of Edwin Abbott’s Flatland geometry fantasy
Dancers worked on how to physically embody movement in a two-dimensional space.
http://www.math.brown.edu/~banchoff/Beyond3d/chapter7/section02.html
Thomas F. Banchoff, Beyond the third dimension : geometry, computer graphics, and higher dimensions, Scientific American Library, 1990.

Purposes:

To enact complex sequences and systems (such as, computer programs, definitions of systems concepts, math equations, environmental issues, international conflicts), making them easier to understand and modify for basic learning, prototyping, experimentation, debugging, and/or improvisation.

a. Illustrate for better understanding and to persuade others. Dance to make an analogy, story or different sensory approach can reach a wider group of people.

b. Work through issues and problems. Dance can inform science, math, and making, be a two-way interaction.

c. Generate new ideas and approaches. Dance as a relaxed, open-ended engagement with concepts and processes.

Origin of project:

This idea started with my participation in earlier iterations of Learning Creative Learning. It’s evolved a lot since then. I’ve been gathering thoughts and examples.

Invitation to contribute:

Feel free to revisit and add your comments, and examples you come across or create! I will serve as gatherer of information to provide a central resource.

Hello Everyone!

One project I’d like to develop is a way for students to make AR (augmented reality) creations with Scratch. I think that seeing their own creations/animations/stories etc. come to life in the physical world around them would be engaging, and foster more in-person collaboration between students in the same classroom. Also, I want to show students that they have the ability to change the physical world around them, not just what is on a screen. Most of the students who I work with are in low-income, underserved areas (East Los Angeles, Compton, South LA). There is a massive dichotomy between the neighborhoods that they live in, and what they are able to create on Scratch in their CS classes. I’d love to see students understand that they have the ability within them to shape and improve the future of their physical community, and world at large. I also think that AR creation could foster collaborative Play between Peers, as students could integrate the physical objects in a room, or themselves, into Scratch stories. Essentially, I hope that letting students create AR with Scratch would let them connect CS with the world around them, and broaden their horizons of what is possible in their neighborhoods and homes. Any thoughts on this? :smile:

I want to explain you a project I did last summer at home.
My 2 years-old daughter is in love with climbing. All time is climbing arround I thinked that it could be a great idea to built a rock climbing wall in the garden. This was my first motivation for the second P (Passion), the first P (Project) was on.

The first step was choose the perfect wall. Closed to the barbecue I founded the perfect wall. 2’5m high and 4m long will be enought. After a lot of days surfing on the net trying to find other projects like mine, I decided the way-to-built. First of all I must to fix some ribs on the wall, but how?

I looked all the DIY stores near home, and a lot of websites where buy the products. At the end, I founded the perfecte store where I had the possibility of get all the materials. I bought 10 units of 70x70x2400mm wooden bar, 100 units of 10M long screwdriver, 100 units more of self-locking nuts and bolts, and 6 units of a chemical tac. Using a power jigsaw I made a squared hole at the bars (just 35mm deep, the half of the height) and with the drill I made a rounded 12M hole in order to pass the screwdriver. With the wooden bar I built the structure. After marking on the wall the position, I made with the drill a lot of 10M holes. Insides this holes I put the some chemical tac and a screwdriver to block it on the wall. This mix needs 24h to be strong. After this time was the moment to fic the wooden bars on the wall at the scredriver with the bolts and nuts.
On this structure I fixed a 2400m1200mm wooden plank with lot of screws, but before of fixing, I made a lot of 10M holes with the drill (for the holds) and fix at the back of any hole one spider-nut.
When the planks were at finally position, was the time to put the holds using the 10m holes with an exagonal screws.
All this project taked me two months. Thinking, exploring examples on the internet, re-thinking, finding materials, building, doing, and solving problems during the contruction.
For me is amazing looking my 2-years-old daughter climbing on it.

Now, I will pot some images of the process and a photo of my daughter climbing. This website not allw to upload a video, and I don’t want to upload anywhere else, like youtube or similar. I’m sorry

With ths planks installated but without holds (with just 4 holds)

The climbing wall ready to use. There is a blank zone in the middle of the wall for protection. That way, the baby can’t climb alone so high.

A photo of the baby climbing

I hope you enjoy the photos like I’m enjoying the experience of built it and looking the baby climbing and teaching friends like her how to do.

Sergi

I am working on a project called Genius Hour; giving students time in class to research an idea they are interested in. This is not something a teacher is telling them what they have to learn. The students are able to spend time to research and learn about something they are passionate about. It is very interesting to see the students choose their ideas and watch the progression of their research.

I am exploring what ‘play’ is in the creative learning magazine I founded, which is called Ottiya. In every issue, children, educators, and creatives from all over the world help co-create content for the magazine. I hope that it’d be a helpful resource for many of you here because I think many of you would agree that it’s one of the most misunderstood Ps of the 4Ps of creative learning, but it’s such a critical part to supporting creative thinkers (not to mention a healthy/joyful life as well!). I think we’re still at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to understanding what is play for creative tinkering and child/youth development.

Hope that you’ll consider joining the conversation at Ottiya/giving us feedback in the near future :slight_smile: You to check out our first issue, which was all about community! How fitting that the theme is community because everyone at LCL, you’ve been a great community :slight_smile: hope to connect with you all again in the near future! Special thanks to everyone organizing and making LCL possible from behind the scenes! Here’s to LCL!

I want to introduce you a learning experience of a fairytale Magic Muri (K. Kovič) and Cat city in our class.
We started with pictures of cats, what children know about cats…
Then I read them a story with music (N. Falk).
Children made themselves a cat ears, tails… and we create a Cat town with cat pubs, police station, bus station, stores…
Children loved play in the Cat city so much that I decided that we are going next tuesday in our town in book store, where is prepared realy good Cat city of Magic Muri :slight_smile:
I will report you about it.

So we had a project about cats, Cat town in our classroom with peers with a lot of playing and passion and fun!

To be continued :slight_smile:

Lovely! :smiley:

There is also the reverse… mapmap enables you to project onto 3D surfaces with a projector. http://projection-mapping.org/tools/mapmap/
You could have your students projecting onto the world…
Sometimes I’m a bit sad we are really caught up in the technology aspects of maker spaces at the cost of attention to a variety of materials and creative possibilities. I have always taught in impoverished neighbourhoods and been good at making a lot from a little.
Jonny Good at ultimatepapermache.com has one of my favourite recipes: silky smooth air dry paper clay, made with toilet paper, white glue, joint compound, cornstarch and flour. The bang for buck is pretty great, it doesn’t store forever, but it makes fabulous sculptural material.

PROJECTS, PEERS, PASSION, PLAY

I teach preK in the Chelsea neighborhood of NYC, and recently had the opportunity to visit the Yayoi Kusama exhibit at a local gallery. The exhibit was interactive, encouraging visitors to view the art from multiple perspectives. It had me thinking about ways to engage my students with art on a larger scale. Using Kusama as a model or inspiration artist, I think it could be really neat to have students create an art project with their peers that includes what their passionate about. In preK this would likely mean lots of Star-Wars art, art about Trolls, or art related to rainbows and unicorns. As an extra challenge, it would be even cooler if the art produced could be used in play (either as a backdrop, or as a physical element that could be used in a game or dramatic play scenario). It’s just a thought for now, but something I’d like to further explore in the future.

Thank you so much for sending those resources! I’ll look into having students create projections onto surfaces around their school. And you’re totally right about too-often overlooking low-tech activities for engaging kids in making/designing. I’m working on a storytelling project for next semester that integrates low-tech arts and crafts materials with robotics, digital artifacts, etc. Have you had students use MapMap before? Does it seem usable for elementary school students? Thanks!

Muchas gracias Francisco
Thanks you very much, Francisco

I will explore this resource. Thanks a lot

I am a mother of four years old son and one year old daughter.

I believe parents/ caregiver make an important roll especially for early aged children, so I and my husband are trying to encourage them to do creative play.
We make “Project” according to our kids’s “Passion” in our house or playgrounds (“Peers”) and “Play” together.
To give them “Passion”, going for a walk, letting them to help household, and reading picture books are useful because there are many resources such as nature, science, arts, and so on.

The next step, I think, is “Play” with other kids.
It is one of the hardest challenge because we need “Peers” according to their “Passion” and their “Passion” is sometimes change.

The clubhouse is an exact place!!
There are many “Projects” according to their “Passion”.
Since my kids do not have an idea how to collaborate with others, it is helpful to visit such places together and learned how elderly kids do their projects, collaborate together.
(I hope I have a chance to visit clubhouse with my kids.)

In the clubhouse or such places, it is also good to give them opportunities to join public contests or present their activities with public or their community, and get some comments from many people.
It helps them to continue/encourage their “Passion” and other people to have a chance to get a seeds of “Passion”.
So, If I join of make clubhouse like place, I would like to make such opportunities.

We run Mitou Junior project in Japan, which provides financial (up to 500K yen per project), technical and mentoring support for students up to 17 years old in order for them to work on something they’re passionate about. This year was our 2nd year, and we accepted 11 projects and just finished the demo day event where students demonstrate what they’ve been working on for 5 months.

What surprised me was that, without realizing it, we do support the 4P’s when we design the project.
Project: obviously, students have to submit their creative idea and work on it for 5 months
Passion: when I select a project, I put more priority on the passion students have on the project, rather than their technical skill or previous experiences
Peer: the community is the core of the project. Creators communicate with others to share their idea, learning and the outcome.
Play: dropping out from the program in the middle of the period is allowed in order for them to be able to take a risk and challenge difficult problems which they may fail to solve. (I’m not saying that the failure is bad. But in some cases, students don’t want to continue the project, or present what they’ve made so that there should be some policy on it)

We’re working on the funding for next year’s program. I’m not 100% sure how big the project is going to be, but I’d like to support the next generation of creative makers as long as I can.

[第6週 アクティビティ] クリエイティブラーニング体験をデザインしよう