LCL

[Week 5 Reflection] Playful Quotes

Good questions! :wink:

I really like this whole section. I think we have gotten away from play so much in education and it is a bad thing. In the library I am bringing some of it back through the use of Makerspaces. But I guess if I had to pick one quote it would be that tinkering is at the intersection of making and playing. I liked this quote because I think it is something we all need to get back to more.I find in my Makerspaces that kids are too quick to want the “right answer” or “just show me how to do it” There are not many that just will dig in and try something, tweak it and keep working at it. But I notice that kids that can do that seem much less stressed, able to learn more and expand on their learning, as well as transfer learning to new situations better. And in this information overload, rapidly changing world those are the kinds of kids we need and all kids need the opportunities to develop into those kind of learners!

“Tinkering is at the intersection of playing and making”
–> This quote stood out to me as a really concise way of relating these three concept which we use a lot in my work context. There is a playfulness that is expressed through tinkering while you are making or fixing something that can sometimes be overlooked and this statement is a helpful reminder that the playfulness that is there is important despite being oft overlooked.

“You don’t get lucky if you plan everything”

I picked this quote because I find it relatable to not only in the classroom but in daily living. To me, it is good to plan, but have the realization that plan do change base on environment, behaviour and peers. Doing program planning is sometimes difficult because they may have interest on that activity that certain day but activities always need to be changed based on the moment.

An example was a fruit and vegetable sorting I did with the class, there was a sheet that you have to place the food object in either fruit or vegetable. No one wanted to do it, however, one child was making vegetable soup. We talked about what goes in vegetable soup and what is not a vegetable. It wasn’t how I planned it but we were still sorting fruits and vegetables. This quote I found it as a good reminder for me, as I am a planner and like to write plans down, that it doesn’t always come out the same way as you plan it.

"Taking advantage of the unexpected"
sometimes we planned something and just dont work well, maybe for external factors… instead of regretting and just replanning being angry… take a step back and think… how can this be a new opportunity and how can I take advantage of it.

I found the playpen versus playground concept to be very interesting. Oftentimes, a “playpen” is the set up for our children instead of a playground. A playpen limits creative ability and feeds ideas to children instead of letting them create their own. While playpens do support play, they are very limiting and restrictive. While playgrounds provide more opportunity to move, create, and explore. I have never thought of playpens and playgrounds when it comes to children being creative thinkers and I will carry this concept into the classroom with me as a future educator.

“…Not all types of play are created equal. Some types of play lead to creative learning experiences; others don’t.” The idea of playing in school leads some parents to believe that their children are being stripped of quality time to learn. What many do not understand is that when a child is playing or working to figure something out, they are going through a process of learning. They are learning how to approach something, try new things, take risks, reflect, and make improvements. Play is a quality way for children to discover and learn. As a future educator, I will ensure that my students will have ample time to learn and discover things on their own as well as scaffolding to support and guide their learning as necessary.

“What tinkerers lose in efficiency, they make up for in creativity.”

I picked this quote because it really demonstrates the uniqueness and value of creativity. Althoughplaying in the bounds, having strict rules and staying safe seem to be comfortable options that guarantee success they do not enhance creativity. Our students should be developing as whole people who have the ability to expand, create and refine.

This quote inspires me to live a little less planned and live as a tinkerer. Although I can continue to plan my days and be organized it is true that not everything goes according to plan. In fact, things almost NEVER go as planned. I am inspired to see opportunity in this and tinker with these moments. How can I tinker with my daily to-do’s and responsibility? There is a way to be creative and flexible even in the everyday things. I think practicing this makes for a healthier, more well-rounded individual.

This is an awesome quote! I agree! People don’t realize how much tinkering goes into great ideas and discoveries and that part cannot be taken for granted. It’s easy to overlook but it is one of the most essential parts!

For this discussion, I chose a very simple yet powerful quote, "Play = Learning."
It stuck out to me because most people don’t have this view. Parents and educators are stuck in the mindset that play and learning are separate. But more and more we see the results from interactive learning are higher than a simple lecture. When a student sits in a lecture, the only language skill they are developing is listening (and boredom). However, when a student is learning through activities, playing, and tinkering, more of their brain functions light up. They are now learning through listening… but also the speaking, writing and reading domains are activated. These language domains are tied to Total physical responses, which allows the brain to connect language to motion and the brain forms new ways of thinking.

“Most schools in most countries place a higher priority on teaching students to follow instructions and rules (becoming A students) than on helping students develop their own ideas, goals, and strategies”

I picked this quote because I think it is so important as an educator to realize that teaching is so much more than just following instructions and rules. I want the students to be creative in their thoughts and think independently. I also want my students in my classroom to not be afraid to fail but instead try different things to help them dig deeper in meaning.

This quote inspires me to take a step back and make sure my activities and lessons create meaning through a creative process. I also want my activities to be allow the students to be independent and allow them to explore.

“Math and science courses, from elementary school through college, have traditionally been designed in ways that favor patterners over dramatists- just as they tend to favor planners over tinkerers. That’s a big reason why many kids get turned off by math and science.”
It’s so important to get students to get engaged in the subjects. This creates an atmosphere where students love what they are learning. They begin to explore on their own not just because they are required to, but because they are genuinely interested.

"A careful plan can lead to efficient results, but you generally can’t plan your way to creativity”

I chose this quote because I think it is important as a teacher to remember how important it is to let your students explore their creativity. Having a plan is useful - allowing your students to be individuals is how they will learn to be scholars.

“Playground provides children with more room to move, explore, experiment, and collaborate.”

I picked this quote because I totally agree with it. Giving children the opportunity to have those “brain breaks” and really think creatively with other children is so important. I remember when I would play outside with my friends in elementary school. It was one of those times where you can imagine and be more creative than you can be in typical classrooms.
This really inspires me to encourage that outdoor playtime. To not take away there play time, but rather encourage it.

The idea of playground vs. playpens made me stop to think. Playgrounds should be exploratory. At one of my teaching practicums, I was at a public school that was trying to do something about the rising problem in childhood obesity. Their solution was to make the children use one of their recesses every day walking laps around the playground. The entire class literally lined up and walked the perimeter of the fence for exercise until the recess bell signaled that hey could stop, and then the next class would come out. I feel this is terrible. It takes away the child’s opportunity to play and explore - to experiment through movement and fun. Taking away recesses is not an answer. Penning children in a small area with no way to really explore is not an answer. Giving the children time to let their imaginations run free while they play is a way to incorporate physical activity, collaboration, and creativity all together.

Love this! Some of the best ideas come from unexpected situations where other things didn’t work well.

Two correlating quotes caught my attention:

“If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original…We’re running education systems where mistakes are the worst thing you can make. We’re educating people out of their creative capacities.” (p. 146, emphasis added)

The final sentence of this quote is almost alerting to read as an educator. When students fear failure, they often times fail to try which inhibits them from discovering what they are capable of. The following quote encapsulates the ideas we should be teaching:

“…failure is only a clue to an alternate path that should be taken instead of an end to the quest, and there are multiple paths that could lead to the same destination, not always a ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ way.” (p. 148)

Teaching students to see failure from a perspective of possibilities could reawaken their passion for exploration and discovery within and without the classroom. I am inspired to model valuing failure to my students and to guide them in developing a creative, growth mindset over a fixed mindset.

Those are some powerful quotes. They are a good reminder to encourage others, especially children in our classrooms, that mistakes are okay and if you do something the wrong way, you can go back and, try, try again.

“Tinkering breeds creativity.” (p. 136)

I selected this quote because it caused me to stop and think. The concept of tinkering resulting in creativity was something I had not taken much time to ponder. After being metacognitive about this statement, I agree that tinkering can bring about creativity and as a future educator, it is something I should provide opportunities for the children in my classroom to experience.

I am inspired to go out and tinker with different materials to see what I can make and, in the future, to encourage the children in my classroom to do the same.

One quote that stuck out to me from the reading was, “Learners differ from one another in many ways: Some are patterners, others are dramatists; some are planners, others are tinkerers; some prefer to express themselves through text, others through images” (p. 144). This quote is so simple and yet so true. While No one student learns solely in any one particular way, however, they may favor one way over the other. Additionally, every individual views and processes things differently. An effective teacher realizes this, and instead of trying to make the child fit school they work to make school fit the child finding different ways to communicate information and providing diverse opportunities for children to learn. As I get ready to begin my first year of teaching this has been a thought that has constantly been on my mind. I want to be the kind of teacher that meet her students where they are and helps them to grow by helping them develop the building blocks for lifelong learning, rather than the teacher who “teaches to the test” resulting in her students forgetting the information shortly after being exposed to it.