LCL

[Week 4 Reflection] Quotes and Questions

“Often, the best way for a teacher to provide a spark is to ask questions”. I love this quote and use this technique within the classroom. At first this made me nervous, however, now I love when people challenge my thinking by asking me another question. I feel like this allows me to dig deeper into my thinking and have a better idea of what I am trying to say and learn. This quote made me wonder how many students knew the information, just needed a few more questions to help gear there thinking. I think a lot of times we are quick to move forward and think that the children don’t know what is being said. If we would provide them with more questions then maybe they would be able to grasp the material easier.

“Good teachers and good mentors move fluidly among the roles of catalyst, consultant, and collaborator.” Being a teacher it’s important to do various things. We must be flexible in helping students develop problem solving skills.

“We think in the context of interacting with things, playing with things, creating things. And most thinking is done in connection with other people: We share ideas, get reactions from other people, build upon one another’s ideas.”

This quote made me think about how do we develop the knowledge to appropriately interact with things and people. It also made me question why students today are unable to work together if this quote is suggesting we share and build off one another.

“Teams are dynamic and flexible, evolving to meet the needs of the project and the interests of the participants.”

This quote really gets me thinking about how effect groups really can be. Im thinking about some of the groups that i have been in and how non flexible and not so dynamic they have been. I think that it is really important to team people up accordingly and not just throw all the students that dont work into one group just so that its easier for other students. Groups can be effective but i believe its all about how they are placed together.

Quote: “We live in an era when all the world’s information is available at a child’s fingertips, but that doesn’t mean children will necessarily know what information to look for or how to make since of the information they find. We need to provide children with appropriate mentorship and guidance–and help them learn, over time, how to find people and organizations that can provide the support and expertise they need.” (emphasis added, p. 119)

This quote clearly articulates the value of mentors in children’s learning process. When children recognize the value of mentor-support at a young age, they’ll develop the habit of networking and collaborating with those who have wisdom and expertise who can support them during their creative processes.

I wonder how often younger generations are seeking support from those with more experience as opposed to relying on their own peers for the majority of their support and project development.

I love this quote. It’s the one I chose as well. We must fulfill so many roles and be involved with our students in so many ways in order to truly impact their learning.

“Good teachers and good mentors move fluidly among the roles of catalyst, consultant, connector, and collaborator”.
I think as teachers, we must wear many hats simultaneously, and be prepared to deal with the unexpected any time. We are at any given time the instructor, lecturer, peacemaker, comforter, corrector, guidance counselor, problem solver, motivator, and on and on. A teacher who gives a worksheet and sets down will be a teacher who is not remember and who teaches little. Constant involvement in every aspect of the classroom is what is required to truly make an impact.

As I was reading, Resnick was talking about the Scratch community, and this quote stood out to me:

“When people feel they are surrounded by caring, respectful peers, they’re more likely to try new things and take the risks that are an essential part of the creative process. When people worry that others in the community might ridicule them for their comments or projects, they’re less likely to share their evolving ideas and creations.” (p. 106)

This quote stood out to me because, as a future educator, I realize that I need to have a caring classroom community where all the children in my class can feel like they can share their thoughts and ideas without being afraid of being ridiculed.

The quote is causing me to wonder how can I do this most effectively to help children with special needs because I feel sometimes being accepted by others is more difficult for them.

That is a great quote. I agree that asking questions is a good way to get children thinking. It can also help them be metacognitive and assist them in making pathways in their brains, as long as we keep revisiting those ideas and questions to aid them in ingraining them in their brains.

I loved the phrase “community of learners.” Throughout me time as a teacher candidate this is a phrase that I have heard many times. Learning is a social process and best facilitated in environments that encourage discussion and sharing. A crucial factor in setting up this type of environment is ensuring that all students feel safe which will enable them to take risks and experiment with newly learned concepts. Recently, this quote has taken on a new significance to me - as I prepare to graduate and go into a classroom of my own. It has caused me to reconsider how I plan to set up my classroom - both physically and environmentally (behavior) - and to consider the purpose behind those decisions (what do I hope to achieve?).

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Teaching is much more than just delivering content; it is about reaching the whole child. A teacher must be just as concerned for the child’s emotional and social well-being, etc. in school as much as they are with whether or not the student is learning the required information. As teachers, we must be genuine and purposeful and understand the different ways that our fulfillment of these many roles will impact students both while they are in our classroom and in the future.

This is a great quote, and I love the part about groups being “dynamic and flexible, evolving to meet the needs…” It is essential for students to be in groups that meet their needs, but that also challenge them enabling them to grow and learn. I also agree with your take that “it’s all about how they [(the groups)] are placed together.” As teachers, we must consider why we are creating the groups in the manner that we are and what we hope to achieve by placing the students in groups.

Quote: "Throughout history, thinking and learning have too often been framed as activities done by individuals, on their own. When people think about thinking, they often think of Rodin’s famous sculpture The Thinker, which shows a lone individual, sitting by himself, in deep contemplation. Response: Before I stepped into my major, all of my thinking had been alone. Throughout high school and my gen eds, I was always told that I must work alone. Now that I have almost completed my education degree, I can truly see how important it is for students, of all ages, to collaborate on ideas an projects. I think that the biggest take away here is, learning does not have to occur in a individual setting to be authentic. Different people bring different ideas, views, outlooks, and opinions to the table. I feel that to really learn something and make it your own, you must be exposed to many different ideas of it.

“Throughout history, thinking and learning have too often been framed as activities done by
individuals, on their own.”

This quote stuck out to me because it reminded me of a comment that one of my teachers used to say often, which is that “The corporate mind is always smarter than the individual mind.” I have noticed this be very true in moments of group projects in school over the years. Often I will think that I have thought of all there is about a specific topic, only to be enlightened by the perspectives and ideas of peers.

My question is: What individual success in the world of technology innovation could have been even greater or deeper if it had been a group effort?

YES! I am guilty of thinking this too! It is so much clearer and insifghtful when you share ideas and build on each other’s thoughts.

I found interesting the “feedback studio.” Individuals are naturally wired to interact and exchange ideas. Part of this process is learning through feedback. People need cooperative feedback from each other. These ideas enable us to better our thinking and speaking. Collaborative learning and open-ended discussions in classrooms are a way of enabling students to seek and receive constructive feedback from peers and the teachers as well.

I totally agree about that! It is easier to give out answers than problem solving with students at the same time that to provide enough patience and guidance to let students do the thinking and learning!

Totally love this quote! I think as teachers we totally need to wear several hats to help the growth of our students learning! Only allowing yourself to be in one role can hurt the learning of all the students in your class.

I believe that it is so important to be flexible in helping students develop problem- solving skills. Good teachers allow students to think for themselves and give them the skills to do so.

What do you think when kids are on the internet; inclusion

I wonder if kids didn’t have the internet would their generations look and act different?