LCL

[Week 4 Activity] Visit a Learning Space

lcl week 4

This is the central library in my town. I visisted when there was a Raspberry Jam going on. This is where people bring their Raspberry Pi computers in and share ideas and projects.

I liked the way the desks were arranged in a sort of U shape which encouraged some sharing. Perhaps they would be better in a couple of clusters though. One thing that was lacking was a computer free desk to allow for sharing/developing ideas away from the screen.

I have a Raspberry Pi so I’m thinking of going along next time to see how the session runs.

This is such a great range of learning environments! The one that looks as though it is the library seems to have all the kids engaged. I love the outdoor ones too.

I like the the way there is a centre table where the students can share ideas away from the computer. Most of the computer rooms I’ve seen don’t have those. Some of our schools are now making more use of laptops in regular classrooms which can help with this.

Many of our computer rooms in th UK were set up a bi tlike this as well. Things are changing now though with more schools using laptops which are taken to the regular classroom where the tables are grouped together.

For this assignment, I looked closely at the learning space in my classroom and how is supports collaboration and sharing. After reading the chapter on how the computer clubhouses are set up, I thought about moving some of my computers around to better support collaboration. I couldn’t find a way to set them up for collaboration that would be better than how it is now. The room is set up fairly well for collaboration. It works really well for pairs and groups of three. Any groups bigger than three have difficulty working together. So reading the chapter made me think of ways I can use the current set up to promote more collaboration.

. Hello all, This is a picture of my makerspace…this used to be a traditional pc school lab which was transformed a few years ago. All the workstations were pulled out and roundtables were brought in that can be easily moved around. We have a green screen where students can record their projects…anywhere from a travel tour, to acting out a play, posing with celebrities…you name it! We also have several robotics kits–ozo bots, kibos, bee bots, lego wedo, mindstorms, chromebooks, a few macs, access to ipads–our school is one to one ipads JK-5. We have little bits, smartboard, tons of arts and crafts and recycleables, batteries, leds, conductive tape, styrofoam cutter, 3dprinter, vinyl printer, poster printer…Kids come in and create… code…and collaborate… From simple machines to anything they can imagine…this space can go from a quiet reflective place to a hot bed of chaos where energy levels are high and hands on experiences give students and adults memorable learning experiences…

If I could change anything, it would be to get more groups of students to come in more often to get away from traditional classroom activities. I would also love to see more supplies added that are more varied then we currently have.

This space looks awesome…It is great to see the groups of kids working together. The adult and children working and seeing examples of the student work display all around.

I’ve chosen our new Library for this activity. It’s become a really great multi-purpose space for our students, with a lot more opportunity for collaboration and sharing. We ditched the old ‘computer lab’ with rows of individual computers (we’ve kept 4 stations at stand up desks on the outside of the room with space for kids to share) and also moved to chromebooks which the kids can use anywhere in the room. Students can mirror their work to either screen with a chromecast for sharing and displaying their projects, and we have also put up a lego wall, which all kids love to add to rather than individual play on the floor. We changed the shelving to lower, wheeled shelves, which can be moved around to suit the space. We also moved the reading nook to a round seating arrangement near the junior fiction section, and it has become a favourite space for kids to come and read together. It’s been an amazing transformation to see them all in there working together.
Old:

New:

I visited the Singapore Science Center. There was an exhibition Scientist For A Day and there were many enthusiastic facilitators asking people to try out stuff at their booth, for example, making a catapult, and then explaining the concepts behind. People can move around freely and ask questions and the atmosphere was relaxing.

My main learning experience beyond school is learning a martial art, Aikido.

The learning space is very typical of many other martial art: the dojo.

The dojo is basically an oriented empty space, in the shape of a rectangle.
The orientation is given usually by a picture and/or a flower composition on
the center of a wall; this wall is the only one that cannot have entrances and it is called “front wall”.

The lesson has two separate moment that are continuously interleaved:

1. instructor teaches, student listen,
  2. students practice, instructor move around students

The point 1 can may last from a few seconds to a few minutes, and point 2 usually last for several minutes.

The instructor teaches with her shoulders to the front wall, students looking at him.

In this way, instructor and students can move freely on the learning space, but they
keep a reference both physically and for learning.

Courses have student of all ages and degree together; a clue of the skill of other people is given by the color of the belt. Sometimes there are special lessons for higher degree with more advanced topics.

On the walls, are usually placed pictures of some technique, or with natural subjects, or photos of the history of the dojo; are also sometime placed object used during the lessons, as weapons, mats, and similar.

Some dojo has also outside garden, where are placed other tools for practice, see pictures.

Often, if possible, the dojo is open also outside the lesson hours, to allow students (but also instructors) to practice individually or in small groups, more informally.

What I would change? I do not know, honestly. But writing this post has been a great opportunity to formalize my ideas!

I have found that sometimes the best classroom for kiddos to work is in not a traditional classroom, but our school gym. When we open up the amount of space , the students seem to be able to come together more and try lots of new thing. They spread themselves and their projects out, lie on the floor and work together to create. They can slide over to another group to ask questions or just see what everyone else might be doing. Although it is hard to move the robots or other projects each time we need them, the wide open space allows for all sorts of creativity. You just have to remind them that it isn’t gym so no running around the robots.

Hi Everyone
These a picture of the lab where I teach

As you can see these is the traditional set up for instruction. It is not the best set up and it is difficult to practice sharing and communication. However, kids are resilience and they find their own way to share and collaborate. So I have started to facilitate their own ways to share and collaborate with each other. I allow them to walk and talk within their rows, and on occasion, if they are being good, I let them cross to another aisle.
For the older kids, I have started to encourage cross collaboration with other kids, who they do not usually talk to.
If I could, I’d change the stations so they kids could face each other and easily look at their classmates’ screen. Also, would it be great if they can move their computer so they can move around the lab collaborate with kids in a spontaneous way.

This week I got to spend some time looking at the Out of Eden Learn site. The 6th grade humanities classes at my school are working their way through the activities for the third year now I believe. I had seen some of the activities and talked to teachers and students about the site, but had not previously gotten a “tour” of it.

The site encourages students from around the world to share and support one another through commenting and image sharing. In the comments section there are even suggestions for providing appropriate and meaningful feedback.

Students share maps they create of their neighborhoods or cities, images from walks of familiar places and more.

While it does encourage sharing and communication, I did not observe collaboration built into the site. However, I believe that there are elements of collaboration in some of the projects that are a part of the series.

People are participanting in the coderdojo learning environment. The program with Scratch, build a computer with Raspberry Pi, share ideas with mentors and peers.
I’d suggest people to have a clearer idea of their intended project, and so have a bigger motivation to carry it on.

I could talk in this post about my visit to Montserrat school a few months ago. It’s a school where they have broken the traditional concept of classroom and they have bet for a project-based education. Kids has a place to gather together and discuss, a place to work in groups but also a place to talk with the teacher/mentor in privacy. And that’s amazing because it gives the kids the chance to progress in different levels but also as a great group.

But I also would like to talk about a learning space such my dancing classroom. Salsalon08_web
I like the idea of a clean space where the most important thing is how you perform the music. You need to be in sync with the rest of the classmates not to do the same thing but to respect their space of creativity. Our teachers encourage us to create our own movements, to learn from each others (that’s why we don’t have the same partner during the class and we change partners every five minutes). When you are in a team, you need to experiment with the rest of the partners, you need to know what they can offer you (maybe is a new movement or maybe you just have to learn how to teach them to be better).
So sometimes you don’t need much tools, you just need to have a cool group of mates to ignite your imagination and discover you a new passion.

Two very different maker spaces:

1. My public library got a grant for a digital media and maker space. This space is jammed into a three-sided cubicle which is about 10 feet by 10 feet with all the following on a built-in counter along three sides: 3D printer; 3D scanner; large format flatbed scanner; thermal laminator; die cutting machine; button makers; 3 iMac computers; professional inkjet photo printer; digital video converters to convert VHS to DVDs. There is also special software installed. There are 3 uncomfortable chairs designed for adults at least 5’9" in height. The area is controlled by the staff of varying skill level who monitor the adjacent public-use computer center. The staff learned to use the maker equipment slowly by trial and error and still knows little about most of it. They concluded that the 3D printer is too dangerous for anyone else to use and will allow patrons to provide a pattern and pick the finished item up at a later time. They discourage the user from watching their item being printed by telling them they don’t know when they can schedule it. Next year they will start charging a dollar or two for each 3D printed item. Nine months after the center opened, the staff is serving as rigid gatekeepers. They will explain the items in general to anyone who comes in, but the interested never return except perhaps to submit one 3D printer pattern. Most of the users are other librarians who use the pin button maker. (I know this because I spend lots of time in the adjacent public-use computer center. Already being persona non grata for complaining about the anti-ergonomic computer chairs, I am not in a position to make suggestions about improving the maker space.) Part of the grant consists of kits for Arduino starter, Circuit Scribe Maker and Makey Makey, and the same staff has held workshops on these in a larger area, and these may be more in line with LCL ideas. But overall, the maker space is an example of what not to do. Perhaps it’s better than nothing, but it’s a far cry from “everyone” and “everywhere.” Here is a photo. Very shiny and organized, but NO ONE is using it.
  2. Here is a link to a video I came across on the Internet about a very advanced, adult maker facility in California: Lori Dorn, “Adam Savage Tours NIMBY, An Enormous Industrial Art Space in Oakland, California,” Laughing Squid, November 7, 2017, https://laughingsquid.com/adam-savage-tours-nimby-in-oakland/1118171611-00

We tried making things by 3d-pen. Children was very excited. But there was that in not easy task.
Some children tried compose 3d object from 2d parts.
It was fun. Some children cried and drop this job but other feels as fish in water, takes 3d-pen ( first time in a life) they made amazing things. One more time I was wonder by children creativity.

In Japan, it is said that studying in living room is good for children to get good grades in school or being good mind.

There are some reasons.

For kids,
If they have questions, it is easy to ask to their parents and they can understand quickly.
They can get an ability to focus on studying even if it is a little bit louder place.
They communicate with parents more frequently, it feels them safety and relax.

Also for parents,
They can see what kids do, and they know what is their interest or what is their week point and so on…
They can communicate more with kids and is helps them to recognize kids’ problems at school or somewhere if it happened.

living

Hi @KathyG on 2013 we founded our library makerspace, in Fabriano. The volunteer group was formed by different associations. The most important was a Free Software User Group extending free software principles to culture in general. We have access to all library spaces, when we need, but essentially we spent more time on the computer lab and we have shelves for our tools.

We consider the library as our space. It is a self-managed space . We are doing and sharing lot of things and projects with any people age and culture.
Our makerspace started from users and from people needs.

But…we need more (even one…) librarians involved.
They are completely absorbed by the normal library activities and the municipality doesn’t have means.
So we should find an external supporter.

In Italian we say Chi non ha il pane non ha i denti, e chi ha i denti non ha il pane , in the meaning "who has bread doesn’t have teeth who has teeth doesn’t have bread. ".

One event in our makerspace( now we are preparing for the Makerfaire in Rome where we have presented a project)

Maybe there was not enough space in class, but anyway it’s mot good at all! Often the arrangement is worse: they put all tables wit the monitors against the walls. So if you’re not seeing the monitor you are seeing a white wall just in fornt of you. I have seen this arrangement in many schcools and very expensive after school programs - terrible!