LCL

[Week 4 Activity] Visit a Learning Space

In this technology class I give the Kidners challenges that require them to collaborate with others in a team of 2 or 3. In these pictures you see students that created a bug with play-doh and other materials I provided (such as pipe cleaners, brads, paper clips, and Popsicle sticks). Students not only created these but they did a “Show and Tell” time with them practicing their presentation skills. They were all so creative in either recreating a bug that already exist to making one from their imagination. I wish I had shorter tables and chairs with wheels or are adjustable in height since I teach K-5 it would be nice if the students felt more comfortable in the space.

In Saudi Arabia, Talents company conduct STEM programs for example as shown in the pictures this program called MSC (Mobile Science Center) where students work together as groups/peers to learn by making.
The first picture students learn about Robotics “EV3 Robot” and we can see the collaboration with each other to design, build and program the robot , each group can build their own robot depending on their interest and you can see that learning is informal learning where students can move, sometimes not in the same age group and the space for learning is opened also the environment built on trusting and respecting.

The second picture students make some experiments related to Aerospace to understand basic concepts/principles for example How the airplane fly?

To make it more collaborative I would like to make the chairs with wheels to make it easy for students to move, also make a web platform for students to allow them to share and collaborate with each other when they are at home also they can share their project with community.

Mohammed.K

Desde Scratch busqué ejercicios ya hechos y encontré este de explotar globos
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/78108232/
Yo copié la idea e introduje cambios. Es también una forma de trabajar en equipo. Mi versión es la siguiente
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/159334231/

Con los alumnos durante el curso pasado trabajamos robótica con bq. Aquí comparto uno de los trabajos que hicieron. Se trata de un brazo robótico con dos servomotores para simular los paneles solares de una nave espacial los cuales se van orientando siguiendo la la luz solar para obtener la máxima energía

What a great collaboration. I am also curious about the roles of commentators and what their takeaways were by being commentators.

Thanks for your comments. I think that we were focusing on commenting–going beyond ‘this is nice.’ to what makes it unique. The students were reading each other’s comments and trying to make their’s constructive and helpful. . They also knew of a lot of the first graders and wanted to support their work. I considered the comment teams very important so they were photographed at the end of their session.

On 18 February 2017, I had an opportunity to participate in a day-long "Youth Summit on Ageing”, organized by Ageing Support Forum & Daffodil International University, Bangladesh. There was a session for the participants to achieve hands on experience on the life struggles of senior citizens and to develop proper mindset towards them. The facilitator asked us to wear glasses and gloves, and to act like an “aged” person. For the first time I just realized a little bit about the life struggles of an aged/elderly person. I thought it was really an interesting and amazing learning experience for me to develop a right attitude towards our senior citizens.:eyeglasses::heart_eyes:

This evening, I visited a favorite learning space: our neighborhood public library. While I was there, I remembered a time when I witnessed collaboration and sharing. It was Scratch Day 2017, held in one of the library’s computer labs. As a co-facilitator, I had taken part in planning sessions in which the use of this designated space was discussed. We were aware of the built-in limitations: rows of fixed desktop computers with heavy chairs and relatively little room for moving around, which meant that participants would not be able to collaborate easily.

Yet thanks to the appeal of Scratch and the high level of interest and excitement, participants found a way to work together despite the challenging configuration. I’ve gathered a few photos to show the “old school” set-up of the computer lab as well as the ways in which parents and children, as well as children and their peers, managed to come together to share and support each other. I agree with the Peers chapter of Lifelong Kindergarten: rolling chairs and clustered tables encourage collaboration. Yet even with less-than-ideal furniture arrangement, Scratch Day 2017 still managed to feel like a friendly, social samba school!

niyata, I really appreciate your keen analysis of floor-based creative activity! I will think of your post next time I facilitate this type of group work. The photos are marvelous, too! Your campers were clearly engaged and happy to explore and make things together.

Great! Library is also my a favorite learning space. But, I think libraries should be child-friendly. Thank you so much for sharing!

I’m going to guess that you and your students have turned into a sea anenome.

I’m going to take the chance this week to reflect on my own maker space/computer lab. Room is at a premium in our school and as a result, my lab feels a bit crowded. I would really like some space to show off more student projects than those that I have taped to the wall. Shelves would be nice. We have two orange leather chairs and two matching ottomans (which are filled with legos) that are a great place for students to meet and talk about projects. They take up a lot of room, but I think they add a sense of playfulness to the room. The guitars are nice and add to that ascetic, although I wish they got played more. Last year we invested in three woodworking benches that add space for students to work on projects. Moving forward, I would like to prioritize space to show off work that students create.

Working at a community college, my students don’t get the benefit of having living together on campus to build community. I lived off campus in college as well, and I often wonder what my students and myself missed out on. Our building also has many tutoring centers and labs in which students can work together, but I’m not sure they use them that way. I think they bring work and do it individually. I wish that we had more common areas both indoors and out for our students to socialize in.

Hello to everyone!
This is my class during a teaching session in programming using Pencil Code.
In order to guide my students through the activity to be performed, I provide them with “working sheets” which describe the steps they have to follow.
The students can cooperate, discuss and exchange ideas and of course ask for my advice.

![File_000 (20)|666x500]

Students are playing a math game and collaborating about how to trade coins (ie. two dimes and a nickel to make a quarter)

Students are working in pairs in the makerspace to program Dash to move to a certain number on the number line using a series of jumps.

Students collaborated to build a tadpole with Lego and program it to swim. Once it was completed they had to transform it into a frog. Those who finished had a frog race and then collaborated to redesign their frog and race again.

I teach at the university level. It has a traditional structure that literally does not allow for moving parts. The rows are solid, the room is tiered, and the screen in central. I took this picture of a peer. They and I both disagree with the learning space, but it is very hard to fix. I end up using pair share and online community in this space. Instead of moving students, I use google hangouts to allow students to work together and not sit together. Also, I will use a flipped classroom method and use this time as an abbreviated modeling process.

I wish the entire structure could be redesigned from the concrete, floors, and walls, to the tables, chairs, and tech!

I work in learning center classroom where we have stations to work. Students come to work on a topic in different stations but there is also a maker space where they can continue build in up ideas and projects. What I really would like to change is the management of time and the way stundents work on the projects. Sometimes I think that we don´t consider or inspire their own interests, we just stick to a curricula to cover and the projects we need to complete. I wuould also like to have a green table and the wheel chairs so everybody can get together easily.Most of the time the school ask teachers and students to work in a collaborative way but I think we need to reinforce one of the key points of a collaborative work: respect for people, ideas, tools and equiptment.

This last week it’s been difficult for me to keep up with this course, due to an event I attended as a volunteer this weekend. But, making a virtue out of necessity, I’d like to explain a little bit about the learning space the people at this event facilitate.

This weekend I was lucky enough to enjoy the Be the Change 2017 conference, held in Madrid (Spain). This is an international event held once a year, in which projects under the Design for Change super-project are shared. If you don’t know about DFC, you should! :wink: Just as a quick description, though:

DFC is a framework for enabling groups of kids to change the world around them, and in the process empower them (infect them with the ‘I can’ bug, they say).

Usually, a teacher proposes a very loose idea to frame the project (say your school, typical for younger kids) and through a very simple framework inspired by design thinking, the group decides on a problem, thinks of possible solutions, act on their chosen one(s) and share their results (what they call the FIDS model: Feel, Imagine, Do & Share).

The process is by design collective and iterative, and the stories range from making school accessible for blind people to planting gardens to grow vegetables for those who can’t afford healthy food to fighting against child marriages and many more. Here’s just one of many examples:

I can’t describe precisely the spaces used for these projects, as I haven’t participated directly in any. But for what I’ve learned from people in this movement, videos of projects, etc., they’re very peer based: people brainstorming ideas on colored papers on blackboards, group discussions and voting, smaller group tasks done on clusters of tables, etc.

It couldn’t be any other way, of course, as it’s designed to deal with issues far beyond what an individual can tackle. Peer collaboration must arise. :smiley:

Hey, @paulkaplan! I remember having exactly the same thought about samba schools the first time I went to School of Honk. So many parts of the structure work toward facilitating collaboration and learning from one another across ages, experience, etc. Glad you made this past week and let’s go again!

And as promised, here’s a photo of (from left to right) myself, @tarmelop, @Lily, @paulkaplan, and Matt!

This is a great idea! I think I’ll try and interest my local museums in trying something like this. It could be a good way to increase visitor participation for them.

I am a master teacher of learning space NAPOJ. The goal of the NAPOJ project (Planning of Algorithms and Programming and Community Organization) is to establish an active community of computer and IT teachers and equip them with the necessary materials and tools. To this end, we have chosen a small group of masters teachers who geographically cover the whole of Slovenia. They are divided into four geographical areas (west, east, north and central areas). The workshop strengthened the knowledge in the fields of programming and algorithms and prepared the materials for all teachers: teaching methods and assignments. Masters teachers organize a similar workshop for local teachers in their geographical area.

Link: https://skupnost.sio.si/course/view.php?id=9376