LCL

[Week 4 Activity] Visit a Learning Space

This is a very interesting example of online collaboration. I use slack a lot, but I have not seen as much collaboration happening as your example had suggested. I would imagine that your peers being in the same group with established code of trust must make a big difference. It is great to hear that people are willing to volunteer in projects that they are not directly involved in.

wow awesome! My friend was there as a part of Japan team and said it was amazing!

What an amazing learning space and empowering concepts for students!! Would love to visit one of these days. Do you have plan to extend the school to higher grades?

Dynamic Collaboration at Summer Camp and Offsite

Two photos are from STEAM summer camp that we ran over summer break this year. We had a wide range of materials (paper, blocks, little bits, scratch, LEDs, robots, etc.) and a few facilitators including myself with sample projects, such that kids can find inspirations, develop their own project ideas, work solo or as groups, and enjoy hard fun in trusted environment. Kids also used books we brought to find inspirations as well.

Some kids knew each other, and some did not. But that did not deter kids from collaborating. One child was a scratch expert, so he was willing to share his work, and others were better at drawing, and they pitched in for city building with little bits.

And another example was an offsite we had this fall with a group of educators to reimagine future of school. As everyone is so passionate on this topic, we had very proactive discussion where we added ideas after ideas to prototype new learning environment each group would like to see happen. The visualization by each group in the end really helped us add another layer of collaboration, as people outside of the group can pose questions, crystalize ideas, and help brush up.

I have the same problem with the children in my class - I provide written instructions to back-up verbal direction and they still say, “I don’t know what to do.” or don’t complete the given task correctly or miss out a task completely! Very frustrating; I will often ask if anyone else was listening/has read the instructions and can help them out - so holding them accountable for being responsible for their own learning.

the learning space I would like to share about is The DoSeum in San Antonio, TX. It is a recently opened children’s museum that is all about hands on, creating and exploring. 10_doseum-building. It has several permanent exhibits including a small town especially designed for younger children, Spy Academy where kids solve puzzles of varying difficulties, Sensations studio-all about exploring our senses, and much more. This space has something for everyone and it really encourages kids to think about science, creativity, and many other skills all designed in a way that kids can collaborate, share and learn together.

razred_resize

Hello everyone,
a few weeks ago we celebrated the european day languages at the school where I work. The basic goals were two:

• working together of older and younger students and helping each other with English
  • getting to learn students, that go to our school but do not come from our country, so their native language is not slovene but either russian, bosnian or albanian; they introduced their language to us and shared with us some information about their country; they also tried to teach us some phrases in their language.

Everything was very well accepted, because the older students get very proud when they can help the younger ones, even if they have some problems when learning the language themselves. Also the students from other countries felt quite secure and proud of themselves because for once, they were the once who got to teach the others in something and they talked about things and in the language they know more about than our language, which is slovene.

Everything happened inside the school, in the halls and classrooms. If I could change that, I would go into the nature and combine learning new things and exploring around, but it was mid september and the weather was not so nice, so this was not an option.

Sharing knowledge is one of the most important things in school and it is even more important if students among themselves do it, rather than just teachers giving knowledge to students, so in that way I would change anything.

If you want to see more pictures, you can check this out: http://www.osnovna-sola-polzela.si/os-glasilo/2017/11/evropski-dan-jezikov/. Everything is written in Slovene, but the pictures say more than words.

Bye for now, Mojca

After watching the video, my school computer room came to mind. It is the complete opposite of collaborative and very difficult to complete any group work in. The computers are set out in rows with individual chairs and headphones. It does encourage any type of interaction. However, in my year group, we have been working hard on using technology within collaborative learning in the classroom with laptops and tablets in groups of 2,4 or 6. We have also been using our online school platform where children are able to share documents, complete projects and complete collaborative work online. This means that although they may not be working on the same computer, they can communicate and complete work as a group. There is also a forum within the platform.

Sure! We are a community college that is one of the City Colleges of Chicago. Our Education and Human Development and Family Studies program houses education, HDFS, and Child Development. We offer AA and AAS degrees and state certifications for early childhood and HDFS settings. Our tinker lab is used in teacher education as a place for teachers try and explore hands on activities we hope that they will use with young children.

I couldn’t agree more!! I have had such a fun time doing this type of instruction with teachers.

I teach at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. My classrooms are on the fourth floor of the large building in the lower right. They have windows on one side (which cannot be opened), chalk boards on three walls, and a projection screen at the front of the classroom. It is obviously a classroom – there are 50 chairs in the room with little desks bolted to the arms, lined up to face the projection screen.

The classroom environment doesn’t support peer learning well. I can ask students to work in groups, but if the students in the center of the classroom have a question to ask me I have a hard time getting to them to answer it.

However, UML as a university does have features that support peer learning. In one of my classes, five women sit together and collaborate on problems. I believe they spend time together outside of class as well as inside. Having college students live on campus encourages this sort of collaboration. One of my commuter students also has a strong peer network built of people he went to high school with or who live in his home town.

UML supports the usual array of student organizations, each of which provides numerous opportunities for informal learning experiences. It also has strong athletic teams.

Almost every building includes open spaces where students can work in pairs or threes and some sort of snack counter. Shuttle busses bring commuter students to campus from distant parking lots, making it easier to hang out with other students between classes than to leave campus. The university hosts three tutoring centers, and each department may provide a tutoring center and a lounge for their majors.

One of the most important lessons learned in college is that we have the ability and the need to prioritize our activities, and that our priorities may not match those of our teachers. UML creates a welcoming environment for students to learn these lessons in community rather than alone.

Last weekend, I volunteered at conference in Austin called “We Are Girls.” The conference was for girls in grades 3-8. The girls arrived, got signed in, saw a keynote speaker, and chose various breakout sessions to attend, everything from meditation to football tackling practice to sustaining healthy friendships. Although I only volunteered at the registration table, I was struck by the vibrant energy radiating throughout the entire conference. The high school campus where the conference took place was set up for collaboration and sharing. Girls decorated cupcakes and party hats around banquet tables, giggling and talking. In breakout rooms, girls sat in circles, taking turns sharing and contributing to group discussions. Everywhere, signs displayed messages of women’s empowerment (“Girls support girls!” “I defy all labels!” “A girl should be two things: Who and what she wants!”). Although it was only a temporary learning space, constructed for one day of exploration and connection, I was so impressed by the wide variety of opportunities for creation, idea sharing, and collaboration. Girls were welcomed into all spaces and encouraged to participate, and the presenters and session leaders were not figures of authority, but facilitators on a collective learning journey. How I wish there had been a conference like this when I was a young girl!

Yep. I put in a routine today: they open their google drives, look at the calendar, read the work load, read the instructions and figure out who is doing what, make a 3 item checklist and do it. Anything left undone they have to address in a follow up plan, giving a commitment to the evening they are going to finish up as homework.
This was after a micro-rant about how sitting around doing nothing just doesn’t cut the mustard. I wish we had that luxury of time, but we don’t.
It seemed to make a difference. I did not get around to every single group, but I saw definite progress and had a buzz of flow going on.

The atelier

The formative proposal Reggio Emilia has resonated deeply with me for a long time, starting from the image of the child (of the human being, in general) as possessor of rights and strong potentials that are developed, learning and nurturing from the relationships that he builds with others, as a citizen of the present, to build the future.
The philosophy of Reggio Emilia is made distinctive by including the participation of families, the relationship of teachers and children as learning partners, documentation and collegial work, the participation of the larger community and of course, a very special way of conceiving the role of the space- educational environment, which should promote communication, interpersonal and intra-personal relationships, the aesthetic experience and the discovery of nature. In a word: provocative.
The atelier is one of the most emblematic spaces of Reggio Emilia and where these ideas take shape. The atelier is conceived as a learning laboratory, rich in materials of various formats that are presented as textures, sounds, colors and even flavors. Creation and experimentation is the main reason for the atelier, encouraging children to develop projects derived from their own thoughts and emotions, in contact with others.
Alongside this space, a key formative figure was also developed, the atelierista, a teacher with artistic training who accompanies, guides and explores, along with the children, the development of their 100 languages of expression.
According to the Reggio Children website (2017), the Atelier “becomes the place of research, invention, and empathy, expressed by means of 100 languages, which extends beyond childhood to include adulthood up to advanced age”.
To know a little more about these spaces and the educational philosophy behind them, I attached the links of audiovisual materials:

In an online grad class, my students are mostly public school teachers. They do not receive much support or pay increase for continuing their graduate studies, but they are curious and passionate. The public schools are overwhelmed with an overemphasis on high-stakes testing. We attempt to counteract that with ample evidence for meaning engagement, responsive interaction, and student-driven learning (yes, I’ve told them about you all here learning with me about projects, passion, peers, and play). Our online community is limited, though their writing and depth of insight is profound. Here’s an example from this week’s reflection on a video clip we shared:
"The piece in the first video that really stuck out to me was when the comment was made that students learn best when they are working with friends. It is a requirement in the district that I work for that we include collaborative activities in our lessons. So it was encouraging to me to hear that other teachers have a hard time letting go of control and allowing students to learn from each other.
Together, we proceed! Thanks, LCL community, for helping me manage my cultivation of peer learning in online environments here in North Texas.
Josh

This week I had the opportunity of visiting 1 learning spaces as well as the space I set up at my house for our Junior FIRST Lego league team. The first space I visited was a local, shares, co working space that is used by professionals that work from home. I have had meetings here and my kids have had classes. Here is the link http://www.scribblespace.co/en/about

The place has areas for collaboration with open space, chairs with wheels and the ability to have tables along the wall or in the center. It also feature more private rooms that can be set up for meetings and/or brainstorming with a table in the middle and drawing boards. The only thing I would add is more physical devices for inspiring ideas (mechanical or electronic devices that people can tinker with to spark ideas)

The second space I want to share with you is my own “breakfast nook” right next to my kitchen. We use this table to meet every week with our FLLJr team (H2O Gators) It is simply a table where all members gather around and draw, paint, debate ideas and build on legos. We are all the same “level” and there is no hierarchy and we all respect and build on each other ideas. Picture below are my 2 sons building legos mechanisms on a"fun" night.

I would love to have a dedicated space where I can show mechanisms on the walls as well as boards for drawing, tons of paper for scribbling ideas as well as a projector. Also other materials for constructing things.

Maybe some day!!

Some teachers from my school were in the hall of makerspace taking a course, where the goal was to create a robot doodling, for this we had to work in teams. When working in a team, something important that I observed is that there are leaders and that all the members of the teams have different skills, that is why when creating a prototype of what we would build, each one did the best in what is good, achieving a minion dancer.
We use different materials and processes, such as making a series circuit, we use batteries, cables, a small motor but we do not forget creativity.
For me, it was also important how you have fun and learn without realizing it.
I think this space is very important because sometimes we work at tables or on the floor to promote comfort and raise awareness of the great ideas that may arise, we work in teams, we also sometimes use tables of several members to share and provide feedback. everyone’s process.

I was inspired by ideas in reading materials and videos about what elements learning space shall have…

Mitch’s talking about learning space of Scratch community and of computer clubhouse…
The research displays collaboratives activities that happen in the scratch learning community…
Seymour’s ideas in creating Logo learning space…
Philipp’s ideas in funding and managing P2P…
Ivan’s ideas in creating learning webs…

I feel what is in common is connection&collaboration&communication between peers are the bases for learners to grow in a shared learning space.

A Learning Space Connects Peers to Each Other beyond Regional and Disciplinary Boundaries

I think that learning spaces make expand the possibility of learning for many people.

I’d like to introduce a university’s facility that we can use with people who belong various institutions, business companies, and communities. This space is traditional Japanese style house and it has some rooms with big desks, movable low chairs (use for tatami room), a projector, a display monitor, a white board, and wireless LAN.
Many workshops and seminars have been held there to work for cross-cultural or inter-discipline interactions and dialogues.

When I attended a workshop of education in August, I met teachers and researchers from many different region. Further more, we used web conference meeting tool to discuss attendees who could not come there. It was very exciting that we exchanged knowledge and questions in hybrid environment of online and offline.

shisetsu1

From the Science Museum, here is Boston.

“Work together and learn together” by Seymour - is a really good explanation for this picture, and for the whole experience of my boys being at the Museum! They were able to learn, explore, create, work as a team to become an idea/project into real life and to face challenges.
For me, the most important is to let them be the protagonists of their own learning process, we need to be right next to them, but just for supporting and guiding them.