LCL

[Week 4 Activity] Visit a Learning Space

I like the comfortable way this is set up. Old-fashioned desks and chairs are not conducive to collaborative work.

I knew that laptop and cup were blocking the view. It’s why I kept closing it!

Note: This is not my family’s kitchen table, but it is very similar to it.

A learning space that I am very familiar with is my family’s kitchen table. We have six chairs around the table, and it is big enough to provide room for collaboration. Growing up, my siblings and I would play with play dough, draw, paint, or do science experiments there together. Also, since the learning space was in our house, we had access to a variety of different materials to experiment with and use to make projects. I remember times, when we would collaborate on making something out of play dough like ice cream treats with the ice cream shop kit, or working together on science experiments like using baking soda and vinegar in a pop bottle and watching the bubbles spill over into the funnel. Those are some memories I will always hold dear, and I am looking forward to helping the children I teach discover the same kind of joy as they collaborate on projects.

I think that is wonderful that a third grade classroom is incorporating those types of centers. Even as children get older they still need to have those types of experiences, although some may believe they need to focus more on the academics, I believe having a place for the children to explore and experiment is very developmentally appropriate.

A learning space is highly important for participation and for learning to take place. Children need to have freedom and exploration to be creative. Constructive and structured learning in centres helps build collaboration. It’s interesting how children build social relationships when collaborating in group settings. I would assign each student a responsibility for the activity.

Among the collaborative learning spaces that I have become familiar with over the past four years is one on my university campus. To help their teacher candidates grow and learn many different learning spaces are provided. This particular area is the children’s library/classroom that connects to a workroom where candidates are provided with the materials and the space to prepare for lessons that they will be teaching. The open concept of the adjoining rooms - along with the various resources provided - encourage candidates to work together discussing, creating, and building a deeper understanding of the methodology and practical application of teaching.

I love the concept of putting up “idea boards … that share different projects previously made that support multidisciplinary lessons.” Often times it can be difficult coming up with different ways to teach a lesson and/or get students involved. Having an example would help spark a candidates creativity and help them to create more effective lessons.

I just found out about JA BizTown this past semester as one of the grades from the school that I student taught at this past semester participated in it. I love how they get the students involved genuinely and show them how their community functions. Places like this are essential; they help students to understand different life skills and prepare future community leaders.

Environment: Classroom
Students are mainly found learning inside the classroom therefore I thought about talking about the classroom. Activities in the classroom can vary from group work, independent reading to whole group interactions. Therefore how should the classroom look like? Students need space, avoid over cluttering the classroom with unneeded items. Even items on the wall, make sure everything is purposeful. This will prevent students from being over stimulate and feeling overwhelmed. Have students desk divided in groups for more collaboration. Allows leave a big space for whole group interactions.

I don’t live on my universities campus, so I recently visited the Hammer Center. This student center is a great space for us students to collaborate and hangout/relax. The set up of the center provides ample room and seats that are clustered so that we can sit with groups. it even provides more private rooms so that we can collaborate in a more private setting.

When I think of peer learning, I am instantly reminded of a museum back home. It is called the Early Works Museum. Children are not only learning historical facts in this museum, but are also able to engage in fun activities as well. There is an area specific to the need of five and younger. In this area children have a barn, a gardening area, and a water play area. There is also an area where older children and build using blocks and large tinker top objects. The set up and design of this space supports sharing and building on each other’s ideas by allowing children to use the hands on approach to everything in the museum. All the areas are set up to allow multiple children to work together. There are certain areas that actually require multiple children to participate. For me, I think this hands on learning museum is effective in the overall idea of collaborative work.

It is really a wide eye-open opportunity to see all other people’s posts here. I have learned balanced literacy in school, but the collaboration project-based learning experience make all things possible and collaborate students to learn and share ideas in an easy and passionate way! I would not feel bored about school if I could enjoy learning. Collaboration with peers should be the best thing to build a great community in school, and also provide students a free and safe place to nurture their thinkings ,guide their learning and express their thinkings and feelings while they are making relatinships! How wonderful it is that I can learn more in groups.

One learning space I visited recently was the education technology lab at my university. Inside there are a variety of spaces for students to both collaborate and work independently. There are clusters of tables linked together with chairs that swivel and roll for easy collaboration and discussion. The tables, however, are long and set up in rows that represent a more traditional classroom. I think I’d ideally like smaller, more mobile tables that would be able to be moved as necessary to optimize communication during collaboration groups.

My classroom is a learning space! I sit in the same classroom all day everyday… with 26 other women. It’s a place of collaboration, fellowship, and also learning. It’s a place where we can work together but also hear opinions from one anther to gain a different viewpoint. When we are all in collaboration with each other it fosters an atmosphere of learning.

I posted about cohort too! However, mine wasn’t from a screen :wink: You definitely have had a unique experience utilizing technology for a maximum learning experience. I love that the set up of cohort allows such collaboration and discussion

I think this is a great idea! Collaboration during group projects or papers would be encouraged more by the tables you described. Imagine if the tables were nice colors, too. It would enhance the aesthetics of the room!

Wow, thanks for sharing! Is this building in Tulsa? It sounds like an ideal place for children to experience and try real-life activities.

museum

Two weeks ago I visited the Philbrook Museum of Art in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This place was full of history, art, and culture. Every corner and even few gardens had a story behind it. This is such a concrete learning environment because ideas and information are conveyed through vivid pictures, authentic work of art, and physical objects that carry meaning. Kinesthetically and visually, it creates a sense of transporting oneself to a particular era or time frame. Another interesting thing I realized as I toured the museum is that visitors are usually exploring in pairs or small groups which creates the learning experience more engaging and meaningful.

I love having that space in our University. It balances Creativity with an Academic and collaborative environment. Students are provided a balance between work and play. It enhances learning.

Amazing.