LCL

[Week 3 Reflection] Pick a Quote

This is a really interesting quote and so true. Throughout my experiences, in teaching young children, I have found that many of them enjoy the challenge of figure something out rather than being spoon fed. I have also seen that - in instances where they were spoon fed - they lost interest in what they were supposed to be learning. Too often we think that children are incapable of complex tasks and thus we shy away from challenging them. In teaching in this manner, however, we are doing them a disservice. Children are naturally curious and love learning new things, even when they are challenging. Thus we need, instead, to provide children with the opportunity to explore and experiment.

When children are spoon fed, like you said, that could potentially also cause learned helplessness which would not help them at all the in future. In fact, that would make life more difficult for them because they would expect all the information handed to them instead of having to work to gain the information they need. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They helped me see that quote in a new light.

The video stories gave me the best examples and explanation of passion. The great projects that the kids have down through the Scrach Lab gave me strong encouragement to emergy the knowledge with student’s interests. As a teacher candidate, I can not wait to explore more of the use in the Scrach to motivate students’s learning through their passions!

This is really insightful. Thanks for sharing Alisha!

Wow! Lydia, you’re always full of such fresh insight. Teaching the value of a skill can do more for a child than we can ever know. For example, when a child throws a fit, a good teacher will calm the child down. But I feel like an effective teacher would teach the child the skill of self-regulation. That way, the child will learn how to cope with anger and maintain self-regulation.

I completely agree. As a future educator, this is such an important aspect to focus on. Loved your post.

Great choice! This quote is a great analogy of life-long effects of hard work.

Kim, I agree. Focusing on student interests makes the curriculum so much creative and full of ideas. Students will also be more eager to complete a task and related to their personal life.

As I read Chapter 3, a phrase that stuck out was “hard fun.” This really hit me because learning is not only about the cute nice things that we enjoy. Sometimes, it is key to follow and adapt to high standards which challenge us to improve. Educators should find a balance between fun and challenge to ensure optimal learning in students. One way to do this is to create “wide walls” where students have multiple opportunities and projects to learn and develop their skills as they involve in interesting and engaging activites.

I totally agree about that! I also think that we need to set up higher expectations for students to reach high and believe that each of student is creative and able to learn with their passion and enjoy the playful learning moments!

I like that quote! I totally agree that interest is something that comes as a priority. It reminds me of all the things we have learned with Dr. Martin! Metacognition!

“Passion is the fuel that drives the immersion reflection cycle”

Passion, is key to learning without a drive learning will seem impossible and undesirable. As a future educator it is vital to find ways to bring passion to learning.

That’s entirely true because if we are not passionate and invested then we really can’t be doing this

This quote reminds me of how one of my professors would always say that “emotions are gateways to the intellect.” Investing in a students interest opens their minds to new learning.

“When discussing technologies to support learning and education, Seymour Papert often
emphasized the importance of “low floors” and “high ceilings.” For a technology to be effective,
he said, it should provide easy ways for novices to get started (low floors) but also ways for
them to work on increasingly sophisticated projects over time (high ceilings).”

I loved what this quote articulated regarding technology and learning. The whole idea of creating enough margin in new technological projects to allow both beginners and enthusiasts to thrive is very interesting. I think of technology like SMART boards that advance learning. I remember student teaching with second graders last semester and would occasionally have them interact one by one on the board. One student would have difficulty writing on it while another student would be so tech savvy that they could answer my own questions about it, even though I was the adult in the situation. That quote just made me think of this scenario because I realized that this one technological invention had already set a low floor and high ceiling in my own classroom, for both my students and myself.

Katarina,
I really enjoyed that quote too because I could related to it. I am not tech savvy, so I am definitely starting on the ‘low floor’. But like you mentioned, it also relates to learning. There are so many students that start at the ‘low floor’ but with time, intentionality and growth, a student can reach the ‘high ceiling’.

I am the worst with technology so I am totally starting on the “low floor”. However, I love that even being on the “low floor” I can still learn and cause learning to happen. With time the students and the teacher will be able to work their way up to reach the “high ceiling”.

My favourite quote is from one of my favourite authors, Margaret Atwood:

“Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult whereas I am merely in disguise.”

Reminds me to keep that childhood wonder and joy in my life everyday. Because you’re an adult doesn’t mean you have to be “all grown up”!