LCL

[Week 3 Reflection] Pick a Quote

“epistemological pluralism”: to highlight the importance of accepting, valuing, and supporting many different ways of knowing.
For me this is the key to encourage more kids to go into STEM and CS, and also a way for more people be more Tech. literate. The recognition that a hard approach to science is not necessarily better than a soft approach. The recognition of the value that a kid wants to build a ferris wheels to tell a story rather than a bridge with certain specification and specific rewards offered by an adult. That the only way to teach STEM and CS is to offer a competition instead of an exhibits.
We will have more people creating solutions using technology that we have now.

“Low floor, high ceilings, wide walls”. I love this quote and i already have an idea how to motivate my drama class with scratch.

"An investment in interest always pays the best knowledge."
Children learn better when they have interest in things. And if they are having fun while doing something that they have interest in, the more they learn. When my students use scratch as the tecnology trought witchthey build something about the curriculum, they amuse themselfs doing it and the knowledge keeps up in their minds. They start question another things even if they aren’t in the main goal of the activity. And they want to go further and further in.

“Compared to most schools, the Clubhouse provides young people with much more freedom
of choice. Clubhouse members continually make choices about what to do, how to do it, and
whom to work with. Clubhouse staff and mentors help youth gain experience with self-directed
learning, helping them recognize, trust, develop, and deepen their own interests and talents.”

I am still finding my way through the balance between self-directed, passion-driven work and setting up projects with “client” relationships where students design with others in mind. I strongly believe that both of these are valuable, yet in a situation where I see students rarely and for short periods of time, it has so far been very difficult to fit in both approaches.

I liked the concept of “hard fun”. I believe students can do things they really enjoy, that are also challenging at the same time. It makes the work and the learning process much more rewarding and gives them a great sense of accomplishment when they are finished and that feeling makes them want to take on new challenges later on

When following the progress of a workshop where two girls were successfully working on projects, Mitch Resnick writes, “They had enough time to experiment and explore, to persist when they ran into stubborn problems, to reflect and find new directions when things went wrong. They were supported by a team of creative and caring mentors, who asked questions as often as they provided answers. The mentors continually encouraged the girls to try out new ideas and to share their ideas with one another.” Seeing that the girls’ success was related to the comfort of their environment, the support of others, and the ability to choose their project resonates with me. As a future educator, I hope to create an environment where my students feel comfortable to work hard on things which they are passionate.

“An investment in interest always pays off the best knowledge”

Within the video and reading they talked al ot about how it is so important to allow students to follow their interests and build on their passions. It would pay off and manifest as students who work harder, longer and can persist through challenges. In addition, it allows students to make deep connections and new ways of thinking. This resonates with me because I believe it 100%. It aggravates me to see students not do well especially when it is due to boredom or a lack of connection. I think educators have a huge responsibility to get to know and care about the interests of their students and help their students make connections to these. This gives students the greatest opportunity to actually showcase their skills, work ethic and ability. In addition, it gives them the greatest opportunity to learn and grow as students and individuals. Personally, it relates to me because I am able to show a great amount of skill and creativity in things I am interested at. I think that is where my work ethic and abilities were first developed. I was then able to carry over those traits to other tasks that needed to be done but may not have necessarily been my interest or passion.

In chapter three is says that "we explicitly designed it so
that people can create a wide range of projects—not just games, but also interactive stories, art,
music, animations, and simulations."
I like this quote because it serves as a reminder that scratch can be used purposefully for learning. I have a friend who created an interactive story to learn Spanish on scratch. As a future educator, I can use scratch to create opportunities for my students to learn. And better yet, my students can use it to be creative in their learning. Especially for students who are EL (English Learners), creating some sort of interactive story can aid in their English language development and further enhance their learning experience.

“Curiosity is so important, both on the student’s side and on the teacher’s side”.
This quote seemed to jump out to me. I think it is really important for the teacher to remember they too can always learn. I think that students can have the best experience when the learning is authentic. Is is important for both the child and the teacher to stay curious. Asking questions is a great way to dig deeper in your knowledge of something.

“People don’t make ideas they create them.” I like this because we are inspired from each other constantly creating ideas.

“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest"
This quote stuck out to me because I feel as an educator it is important to be reminded that the investments we make in our student’s education will be long lasting.

I like these quotes from the Computer Clubhouse article, in reference to constructionism:

“People don’t get ideas, they make them.”

I think it is important to remind students that its okay to be original. When I get my own classroom i want to get students thinking about the possibilities that are within their grasp.

"Too often, teachers and educational publishers try to make lessons easier, believing that children want things to be easy. But that’s not the case. Most children are willing to work hard—eager to work hard—so long as they are excited about the things they’re working on.” (p70)

This quote stood out to me because, as a future educator, I believe that is an important point to keep at the forefront of my mind as I plan lessons and activities for the children in my classroom. My desire for the children I will one day teach is for them to work hard to learn about what they are working on or playing with and to do so because they are excited about learning from their experiences.

That is a really good quote! I agree, it is important for teachers to remember that they need to be life long learners too.

I really liked the quote:

“An investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge."

I love that it puts interest first. If the curriculum involves the students’ interests, then they are more engaged, more involved, more excited, and since it applies to their real-life interests, they will internalize it and retain it much better. I love getting kids excited about their learning!

This was my second favorite. We don’t wait for ideas to just come, we create them with our imaginations!

“An investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge.”

The best phrase to me, especially because I has a lot to do with knowing yourself. First you have to know wich are your interests, you have to identify them, and then you can feel confident about them. I have lots of students that don´t know what are they interested in. They still have to discover their inner passions. And is great to see how they get passionate about different projects. I think is our duty as teachers help them dicover the world of posibilities they have arround.

In chapter 3, Resnick discusses both the long-term and short-term effects of using the behaviorist approach in schools. In short, offering rewards for good behavior or performance may entice the child to follow expectations for the moment, but fails to motivate the child for an extended amount of time and can even reduce their performance long-term.

This statement resonates with me since I have witnessed this scene several times with young children and even adults through the classroom and the work place. When teaching a new concept or when disciplining, the individual’s heart must be captured rather than their mind being manipulated to submit temporarily. By teaching the value of a skill, a life principle, or a character trait to someone’s life and to situations they may encounter in the real world, individuals truly internalize the skill and practice putting it to use, which can increase their passion for applying it.

I love the quote “An investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge.” People learn best when they have a connection, purpose (interest) to what they are learning. A teacher who can capitalize on this concept will create a community of lifelong learners. Personally, I have had experience on both ends of the spectrum; those experiences where a teacher would instruct me utilizing my interests or teach me in a way that helped me to develop an interest in the material were the best learning experiences that I have had. They showed me that learning is more than reading a book or listening to a lecture, memorizing, and regurgitating information for an exam. They inspired me never to stop learning and showed me the joy and excitement of learning something new no matter how difficult it may initially seem. I hope to successfully utilize this concept in my classroom to inspire a love of learning.

I love how you mention “teaching the value” and not just the content. A student who can see the value in what they are learning will more readily make that learning their own and use that learning to fuel future education. Teaching in this manner also helps to ensure that the students genuinely absorb the information.