LCL

[Week 3 Reflection] Pick a Quote

“…coercive curriculum…”

This is not an entire quote, but the simple phrase made me think about the type of curriculum I use in my own classes. Also, it made me stand up with a sense of right and freedom to my own learning, one not bound to the coercive curriculum of others. This gives me something to aspire to…less coercive curriculum that is.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have also seen students who do not want to share their experiences. It is as if they feel the need to protect them from a curriculum that will stomp them out. We need to help them trust the educational process by protecting personal freedom and interests.

Scaffolding is a Vygotsky term within his theory of the zone of proximal development. My favorite piece of this phenomenon is the effect of the ‘more competent peer’ in creating meaning and scaffolding understanding.

I jumped right into this as I love photography and thought of using scratch for the first time to share my work. I worked to add my pictures and add voice tracks to correspond with the pictures… this was a whole new editing experience for me. The quote " persist and perseverance through all challenges, if they work on topics they are truly passionate about" hit home with me on this one. I really wanted to be able to make this presentable and kept troubleshooting when I didn’t like how my work was being shared. I got truly vested in this and am proud to share my pictures and my new programing… something I always viewed as two separate areas of my life the have now overlapped…merged here to show what I care about… I can totally see how students would develop the same pride and perseverance.

It´s hard for me to choose only one…but I think one that I like is “hard fun because an invenstment in interest always pays off with the best of knowlege”. I personally get engaged and interested on different topics and love learning, and when that happen, time goes by and you don´t even feell it, you work and work and you want to continue working…you head is full of ideas and questions you want to answer and you would like to find people who you cand share, talk or ask about what you are working on…I think for our students is hard when then are in that position and the bell rings in a classroom…that´s when the only thing you want to do with time is to kick it out…I also think that through all the hard process of learning all the difficul things you go through help you to have a better undestanding of your knowledge, a better management of you skills and of course a better management of the time…and then you are ready to share and received feedback from others.

sounds interesting…I would like to know more about how they did.

“Clubhouse youth are given lots of freedom and choice. One participant explained why he liked the Clubhouse more than school: “There’s no one breathing down your neck here.” But with this freedom come high standards and high expectations. Clubhouse staff and mentors do not simply dole out praise to improve the self-esteem of the youth. They treat youth more like colleagues, giving them genuine feedback, and pushing them to consider new possibilities.”

This long quote resonate with me, as I try to teach students to be proactive in the learning, and empower them to guide their own learning experience, I think about what is the trade off. How as an educator can I measure that they are using drive and perseverance to create their project. It is only by expecting high performance, raising the bar. Make them get used to that with freedom you get a lot of responsibility and you have to try to be your best and raise above.
I have couple of students (11 yo) who are push the limits of their freedom, by finishing their project quickly so they can play games on Scratch. So, these students are my TA. I give them special assignments, high level assignments, to explain to the class. They raise to the challenge each time, reluctantly and timid. but after their little presentation they feel proud of their knowledge and they apply start using the new concepts.

I had the same experience at the start of the school year, but as they get comfortable they find interests and discover their own passions. However, my kids are in elementary school. Teenagers are harder to open up. When I was a teenager I did not want to tell anybody what I like. Maybe a private journal may be a good idea.

your words resonate with me too as it was good to see that many feel this way and have observed this as students learn. It makes the extra effort of working to facilitate these types of experiences for our students worth while so that we can make real life connections to the content that we are expected to cover with our students.

La diversión dura o “Hard Fun” es muy importante en el desarrollo de proyectos con niños, esto no solo es importante para el hacer, sino también para compartir con otros, siendo esto parte de un proceso de retroalimentación, que ayuda a mejorar aun mas el proyecto que se este realizando y ojala todo esto con muros anchos.

My quote is hard fun. I have really embraced the idea of play in learning during my teacher training and this term takes this to a new level. Also connected is the idea of knowing you are learning, bedding aware of the process toy are engaged in.

“But it’s also important for people to step back and reflect on their experiences. Through reflection, people make connections among ideas, develop a deeper understanding of which strategies are the most productive, and become better prepared to transfer what they’ve learned to new situations in the future. Immersion without reflection can be satisfying, but not fulfilling.”

If you do not have a moment to reflection, it is an activitie without objective it was a losses of time

Oh, is it that old? It recalls me terms of structuralism. Anyway, apart from the structure of scaffolding, the main issue to me is that it has to be removed sooner or later (the sooner the better, obviously, but the work (the building behind) must first have been finished). But, most of all, and also given that the title of this course concerns the learning to learn, I think one of the greatest efforts in teaching (let’s say the core?) is to teach to learn, and make children (or students) able to build their own scaffoldings (i.e. be able to search peers or teachers by themselves), and dismantle them when not needed anymore (i.e. learn not to pick the learning verbatim, but be critic).

[Week 6 Reflection] I used to think.. but now I think

Guido, I like this imagery, thanks, especially in reconceptualizing the teaching and learning process. From the learners’ view, the scaffolding must be dismantled, dissolve, become invisible, as learning occurs. But from the teacher’s perspective, we sometimes tend to immortalize our successful teaching techniques, set our scaffolds in concrete, in static, absolute forms. Thus the emphasis here in this course on Lifelong Kindergarten, recentering our focus on Learning Creative Learning rather than stagnant teaching.
Josh

“Pay people enough to take the issue of the money off the table, so they are not thinking about money , they are thinking about the work” by Daniel Pink (2010).

This quote resonate with myself because I would love to have the opportunity to not worry about money and have all the time to work on my life purpose which is to help improve education in the world. By “improve education”, I mean, help people to develop consciousness about theirselves, learn to read the world, find their purpose in this life and choose the best way to work on this purpose at this world with respect, love and gratitute for theirselves and other.

Oh, by the way, my life purpose is my passion :heart_eyes:

ok, maybe a blend of hard and easy fun can be a good deal, life is not easy so children have to be prepared to what might happen

education is a very complex task, thanks for your reply and hope to hear from you with further suggestions

Sarebbe interessante riflettere a scuola, con i ragazzi, i colleghi i genitori sulla citazione di Seymour Papert “divertimento impegnativo”.

The idea of making children tough through hard work and sucking it up has been around for a long time.  It's rather unfortunate.  I do agree with you that life can knock the stuffing out of many of our children today.  You just have to look around any classroom, regardless of the socio-economic status.  Many have already developed coping skills for this, good ones and bad ones.  For some children, school is the only predictable and safe harbour for them.  What I find is that many do not necessarily have the coping skills to deal with the positives and the possibility of hope.  Some days teaching can be a very sad profession.

Some time ago, and I cannot for the life of me remember where this came from, I think during my studies of psych, an idea made its way into my conscience.  We as parents and educators need to fill children's piggy banks with lots and lots of love and support and positive experiences so that when they grow up and life starts making withdrawals, there is lots left in the piggy bank to get through adult life.  Whoever posed this idea for me to catch, I am extremely thankful to.

We’re in the process of building our maker space and I feel like I have been a bit at cross-purposes with the vision I hold compared to that of my management. We have some very expensive and fancy tools which I’ve been very nervous to use because of the price tag and risk of breakage.
I did a search for maker space inventory suggestions and found a few. This article from Make Zine looks pretty good.
https://makezine.com/2013/08/21/stocking-up-school-makerspaces/
I come from a maker family and have invested some of our budget in traditional technologies: hammers, screwdrivers, drills, saws, clamps, needle nose pliers, crowbar, glue gun, etc.
Two mental constructs allow me to be okay with where we’re at: we will build this over time and I am a great economist when it comes to finding resources.
I have begun finding grants to which I can apply and we need to start putting to use the tools we currently have. As teachers’ and students’ skills develop through experience and learning, we will be able to expand the scope of our projects. I have started to form relationships with maker spaces in my community and through that, have found a free store where a Doctorate student has connected industry to community to redirect materials from landfill/recycle to the depot accessible to anyone who has registered, and I have found an inexpensive source for glycerine (I LOVE gelli plate printing and make our plates at a MUCH cheaper cost. The plates can be melted down, filtered and remolded when they get ratty.)
I have been a bit stressed about the learning curve around the technology and after taking a deep breathe, went back to look at what Kathy Schrock has compiled, http://www.schrockguide.net and what Ana and Helen at http://techchicktips.net/category/podcast/ have to say. That podcast has mentored my tech development immensely. I love their sense of fun and enthusiasm. Sometimes I am afraid to listen because there are so many ideas, my to do list gets overwhelming. (I am working on my curating skills with the principle less is more helping me avoid clutter.)

Hard Fun is the phrase for me. Kids love a challenge but it has to be something they are interested in. Struggling learners need to experience early success followed by HARD FUN. The catch phrase here is something they are interested in or connected to. As a literacy facilitator advocating for reading and writing which is linked to an interest or had the student able to bring prior knowledge to the task.