LCL

[Week 3 Reflection] Pick a Quote

I see others liked the idea of ‘wide walls’ me too. I was driving and listening to this concept . It was new to me had to listen again. Im thinking but how to create learning environments with this?
I understand ‘low floors and high ceilings’ when designing learning tasks, like enabling and extending tasks. This is differentiation and creativity combined, It’s deep and rich. I am still reflecting on this. Another great talk thankyou !

\

I liked the idea of hard working. I think we should challenge our students to try new things and never give up. Failling is another way of learning. They should always keep on trying.
Another word I liked was Wild walls. I am also imaging the idea of breaking the walls of our classroom and being able to work and interact with people fron different places and situations.

The ‘high ceilings’ refer to the challenges, open expectations,and high ideals we set out for each other. I believe children need all these: solid floor of a good foundation, high ceiling of great expectations, and wide walls for room to explore and expand. One other element in this learning architecture is scaffolding, the framework provided by adults or more competent peers.

“Hard fun” - 4_keys_thumb really fits into my gamification and game based learning methods.

It’s “hard fun” trying to pick a quote! So many aspects of this week’s learning resonates. I’m the DATS Leader (design, arts, technology and science) at an ILE (innovative learning environment) in New Zealand.

Hard fun is great - for me it’s pitching a learning challenge at the right level, not too easy yet not too hard to be able to progress and to blend in passions (wide walls - multiple pathways) is key. I’m passionate about growing student capacities (dispositions) and our school values (growth mindset, thinking, curiosity, joy, collaboration) through hard fun! Low floors, high ceilings and wide walls - I use this quote a lot in professional conversations with our mentors (what we call our teachers), and when I have visitors to our school. I first heard Ayah Bdeir us this quote on a littleBits webinar a wee while ago and then I read Mitch’s book and now being part of the learn creative learning community. When creating my learning designs (planning) I always try to include, low floors, high ceilings and wide walls.

Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s 'state of flow" - I love this! In fact I love being in a state of flow! It ties in beautifully with passion and the twist on Ben Franklin’s idea “an investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge.” I work in an ILE school (innovative learning environment) in New Zealand…we’ve been open approximately 3 years now. There is a huge emphasis on teacher collaboration and its a ‘hard fun’ learning how to collaboratively and how to be innovative. We’re not governed by bells to tell us when to ‘change’ learning…however what is interesting is how some learning teams (we call them habitats) have inquired into ‘workshops’ for literacy and mathematics to cater for students individual learning needs - with great intentions. My question and challenge however is to ask can this create a state of flow? Or include DATS (design, arts, technology and science)? Are we integrating student passions and agency through this model? Are we activating their curiosity and joy? Can it encompass authentic contexts for learning? How different is this to the traditional ‘bell’? I love how @TechTomBUSD describes the state of flow as “when you bring passion into what you do it is no longer work, it is a labor of love.”

I’m loving reading other community members favourite quotes! I agree @brunolee, _“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” from Walt Disney is a great quote - it’s part of what I love about my school is we are encourage to inquire into our teaching and the challenge the process…so I feel safe to ask the above questions where I work.

@Seamus I love your favourite quote too “…finding the right balance between freedom and structure is the key to creating a fertile environment for creative learning.” We have a phrase at school “out of structure comes freedom” … the key is to move on from the structure to freedom to engage and motivate and empower the learner through wide walls.

I’d like to quote this sentence too. Gratitude Is so important and we are grateful if we get something important for us! Probably if students learn what a variabile Is without needing It for some project which they are involved with passion in, they don’t feel how important is the explanation the math teacher Is giving them. I’d like to be able to switch student’s passion on, and scratch can help maths teacher. This story tells us that It Is possibile but change in our point of view Is needed!

I agree to this one!

Clubhouse staff and mentors help youth gain experience with self-directed
learning, helping them recognize, trust, develop, and deepen their own interests and talents

One of the challenges that I run into with students is that they often shy away from what their talents are or are reluctant to admit their interests in front of their peers. I think that it’s a common thing in society that we are quick to pick ourselves apart, focusing on our flaws, and then find it challenging to freely admit that we are good at something. Giving students the power to celebrate and trust in their talents is something that I strive to achieve.

Good point, Tom. Thanks for choosing this quote – it hadn’t stood out to me when I first read the chapter, but seeing it here is making me reflect on it more deeply.

The word “recognize” is also really hitting me. Often, especially with elementary students, I think kids haven’t had enough varied experiences to really find their passions. For example, I was never exposed to engineering or maker education when I was a kid, but I think that, if I had been, it would have been a huge ah-ha moment for me in terms of my passions. There’s also research* that suggests students who aren’t exposed to coding in elementary school are less likely to even sign up for a computer science class if it’s offered to them in high school. I wonder if this is true of other disciplines – like physics, music, team sports, etc.

As educators, I think part of our responsibility is to offer students exposure to lots of different things, so they can find their passions.

*I couldn’t find the study in a cursory search, but I’ll keep trying and will add a link when I do. I know the study used to be linked on code.org.

I have liked a lot the idea of wide walls. Really students will be happy if we give them the opportunity of working in projects in subjects that they like. Reflexion is other moment that we often do not practice. Give time to the students to reflect, also gives “intelectual and soul pleasure” I think, and make them happier, the moment of learning, of studying, of being in class.

I am having hard fun. One of the things I like is colored glass. I am willing to fuse little pieces of colored glass. I had taped them days ago, but I have been told that I have to glue the colored glass pieces on a transparent glass and then bring them to a kiln… Have you done this before?

I also tried to make some geometric shapes in Scratch and color them, but I still can’t. Well I am Trying still. This in order to inspire me…

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/185479546/

I like very much this image of scaffolding: gives me the idea of something that, when the work is done, has to be removed. I didn’t know about the use of this term in Pedagogy. As far as I understand, Bruner referred it to a situation of problem solving, which I think is THE focus in education.

I co-authored an article with my wife about a learning experience we run at our Upper Primary school that involves learning about energy (electricity) with some programming where we wrote about tinkering and creativity.

When children are tinkering and playing, they are engaging with a blend of objects, concepts, ideas, environments, and people. Tinkering allows the time and context for ideas to collide. Creativity often occurs at these collision points. Providing experiences for students to tinker allows them to think with objects—whether they are toys, tools, or materials to use.

Full Article -Science & Children - Bringing the Maker Movement to Schools

A quote from part of the chapter was, “We want all children to work on projects based on their own personal interests and passion”. This was stated right after the story about lego engineering in the museum. I agree on children doing projects based on their interest and passions. If they do something they are not doing, the project and the children’s learning wont register the way teachers/educators hoped for.

In our classroom, everyone enjoys experiments. Ever since, we made group related science activities, the project became more interesting. One science activity was bubbling potions. They were able to measure the ingredients, did a voting system of the colour of the potion and explain the cause & effect. Children were able to express their ideas and observations to other children. This also develop their social interactions and learn some mathematical concepts without them really knowing.

My lately quote is:
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original.
Ken RobinsonI

That is something to bear in mind if your aim is to inspire creativity…
And as I do with my pupils in my Scratch workshop. I ask them what do they want and if they can find different ways to do what they want.

“When children aren’t given the space to struggle through things on their own, they don’t learn to problem-solve very well. They don’t learn to be confident in their own abilities, and it can affect their self-esteem.

Ken Robinson, Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That’s Transforming Education

Like many others, low floor - high ceiling - wide walls resonated with me. Having the opportunity to work on more complex and sophisticated projects over time is important so that children (anyone) can work at their own pace and to their own ability - but also provide a challenge to keep moving forward and continue to learn and progress. Student choice is also extremely important. Having a wide range of different types of projects allows for varying interests. I have definitely seen this in a summer Scratch class that I have taught over the last couple of summers. Some children can’t get enough of games, while others find stories and art more appealing. I try to remind myself to include as much student choice as possible in each of my classes/units. Even if the students are all using the same resource (for example Weebly for creating a website to showcase their digital photography), there are multiple pathways that they can take to express themselves creatively.

@TeacherWHITY The quote reminds me of one of the 8 Big Ideas of the Constructionist Learning Lab laid out by Dr. Seymour Papert.

The sixth big idea is the biggest of all: you can’t get it right without getting it wrong. Nothing important works the first time. The only way to get it right is to look carefully at what happened when it went wrong. To succeed you need the freedom to goof on the way.

Along the way are collisions of ideas tried and failed, those collisions inform us about what might work and what might work elsewhere or not at all.

I’m a big fan of ‘hard fun’ as well. There is nothing better than seeing a bunch of students trying to solve something complex that they have a huge buy-in with.
At the moment I have a group of students creating a robot out of a Hummingbird kit. They are enjoying the challenge in their own break times in the Library where we house a small maker studio.
Each student is working on different aspects of the robot. They are striking problems and solving them collaboratively. They are also working to their strengths as well - one is designing the physical robot, another is applying the mechanics of the different hummingbird parts and the other is operating the Scratch program to drive the robot.
They gravitated to their strengths automatically - but each is so committed to the project that they help each other to move forward in the different aspects of the project. The talk focusses around what they want the robot to be able to do, say and respond to. So much learning happening here.

“Seymour’s advice and aim for low floors and high ceilings, but we also add another dimension:
wide walls.” From Resnick, Lifelong Kindergarten - Chapter 3 Passion

I really resonated with the idea of “low floors, high ceilings, and wide walls”. These three things help to build up creative learners because they open the doors to learning a topic and allow students to go to great heights with a lot of variety. There are so many projects that require students to end up with the exact same results for a project. This can help students to learn new skills, but does not allow for the creative expansion of ideas. Developing a project that allows for each of these dimensions can be more difficult for a teacher. This is especially true if the mode of teaching has been primarily teacher-centered versus student-centered. Passion driven learning designed on student interests will generate more creative results from students if they are trained to use feedback and be vulnerable. This is making me think about how my projects are developed and what I am looking at for assessment purposes.

This also makes me consider how students are assessed. Are the end products the focus or the process? What about the process is assessed and how can we train students to use feedback to adjust their thinking. In my teaching experience, it seems that feedback and reflection is rarely by students used to improve and reimagine products and processes. It requires a change of the school culture to recognize creative learning.

I like the idea of hard fun. I am most engaged when I am trying to figure something out and I see this in my students. as well. It can be difficult and even frustrating, but the fun happens when it works - when you’ve solved the puzzle or completed the task.

I think that the most important message for me was that that children were more engaged when there was personal meaning to the thing they were working on. Sometimes it can be hard to make this happen in the classroom when you’re following a specific syllabus for an exam class, but it’s something I’m going to work on to ensure that my students find meaning in their learning.