LCL

[Week 3 Reflection] Pick a Quote

From this week’s readings or video,
choose one quote that you found especially interesting or provocative.

Why did it resonate with you? How does it relate to your personal experiences?
Did it spark new ways of thinking about Passion?

Share your quote, and your thoughts!

This post is also available in Italiano, Português, Español, 日本語 (Japanese), עברית (Hebrew)

Week 3 - Pick a Quote
Quotes that Stay
listed #2

pinned #3

I liked the idea of ‘wide walls’ - I’m used to thinking about the value of ‘low floors and high ceilings’ when designing learning tasks, but the idea of wide walls hadn’t occurred to me. It makes perfect sense for situations in which student choice is appropriate. I’ve added a new dimension to my thinking! Thanks MIT!

HardFun. This resonates with me. As an educator, I have found that if I raise my expectations of student outcomes and learning, that the students come up to meet these bars. There is no point in setting easily achievable tasks so that the students will always succeed. Rising to new challenges forms the basis of all learning and forms resilience in overcoming challenges and small failures. There is no smile larger than on the child who tried and tried again to solve a problem.
I also enjoyed reading about making student learning relevant for each child.

[Riflessioni settimana 3] Scegliete una Citazione

I pick the one concerning low floors and high ceilings.
Maybe I misunderstood the paragon, but why not no ceiling at all, no walls at all, and only a solid ground? Aren’t they, ceiling and walls, a limit? I see this situation better as an isle, and the limits exist until one finds a way to build a boat, or a bridge toward another isle (and this is co-operation).

“An investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge.”

Sums up pretty much why I’m doing this.

“An investment in interest always pays off with the best knowledge”

As a teacher I think it’s important to help students catch there own interest and develop them.
Despite this I don’t want to completely negletct knowledge. Sometimes you can discover your interest while you’re studying something else. In my profession I found more students that doesn’t have any interest at all instead of students that have interests of any kind. The first students are a challenge because they are like a blank page that have not already found its own instruments to write it. I’m not a wizard, I don’t know what is best for each students but I agree to give them some “wide walls” instruments such as Scratch that could help teenagers to discover something new about themselves and what they really want to do.

Seymour Papert often emphasized the importance of “low floors” and “high ceilings.”

It can often be extremely difficult to find curriculum or applications that meet these standards. Too often the students can either all get the materials right away and then 80% of the students are done and ready for more or the materials being used is far too difficult and 20% of the students understand and the rest need reinforcement. I wish more materials for teaching held these types of criteria for their applications.

Hard fun is also the quote that resonates with me the most. I never enjoy myself more than when I am working, and I hope to recreate that experience for my students. Also seeing someone’s pride when they know they have done well is my absolute favorite emotions, especially when they surprise themselves! That look on their face is the best!

From the reading: Clubhouse members often worked long hours on these projects, coming back to the
Clubhouse day after day."
When passion is something that drives you on a project, you can get wrapped up into it, and that passion will fuel work for hours and hours on end. I can relate to getting lost in projects, typing and typing or reading for what seems like a short time, then you look up and the whole day is gone. Granted that happens a lot less now with kids, but when you bring passion into what you do it is no longer work, it is a labor of love.

A me non piace vedere i " muri"…mi danno l’idea di limite, di confine, preferisco i ponti che uniscono

One of my favourite quote is this “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” from Walt Disney. Because of curiosity and strong interest in using technology to help kids from lower income families to get a better opportunity to learn, I’ve started an initiative called Project Curiosity (projectcuriosity.net) since last year. This LCL course is really inspiring for me. I hope I can learn more from this course and you all so that I can apply what I’ve learnt to make it more interesting for the kids to enjoy learning and to change their life in the future. Thanks MIT Media Lab for this great opportunity!

“Most children are willing to work hard–eager to work hard–so long as they’re excited about the things they are working on.”

I think many children are generally excited to learn but the formal education system prioritizes one expression of learning over the others. This prioritization most likely leads to the decreased passion in learning we see in older children. Keeping that in mind, I think it is important to allow children to work on projects that allow them to pursue their passions but still achieve similar learning outcomes.

I agree with the Hard Fun. The pay off for that hard work is priceless!

I was struck by the idea of hard fun. As I work with my students, I strive to create opportunities for them to challenge themselves. Frequently, I start with a high ceiling and end up with frustrated children who are close to giving up. So what I intended to be hard fun was really simply an exercise in frustration and failure. This weeks focus has really been eye-opening. I can truly see how important it is to create learning opportunities that have low floors, high ceilings, and wide walls. I’m inspired by these ideas to revisit activities to make sure that they offer hard fun with the important accessible entry, significant challenge, and lots of engaging opportunities to inspire students to explore their passions.

Well, I must agree. Even nowadays most school buildings are aggregates of boxes, called classrooms and they are defined and restricted to rather stiff dimensions: 4 walls, 1 door and a low ceiling. Rather unsuitable for working on projects, is like trying to canoe in a bathtub. But in another context, I think, walls can be useful as they are in drama: usually three walls are given (back, left and right) and one is open, towards the audience. Each project needs that fourth wall, which is not a wall but an invitation to connect and communicate.

"Finding the right balance between freedom and structure is the key to creating a fertile environment for creative learning. That’s true in the Clubhouses, but also in classrooms, homes, libraries, museums, and all other settings. … The reality is that all learning environments involve some freedom and some structure. " Mitchel Resnick, Lifelong Kindergarten Ch. 3 p.80

Most young people who use Scratch, do so because they were introduced to Scratch out of the passion of the adult; a tutor, teacher, mentor, parent or grandparent (I am all of these and I have the passion!). My focus in following the Learning Creative Learning course, is to learn more about lessening the adults’ fear and tension re coding and heightening their passion and freedom for Scratch. (Many teachers don’t see the subtle difference between coding and Scratch). I also would like to share my personal R&D in this area.

I have been a primary teacher and CPD trainer for many years. For the past 5 years I have operated a CodeClub and I looked hard at the difference between the freedom of a club and the structure of a school system. I had my Eureka moment when I began to realise how Scratch Makes Thinking Visible. With Scratch 2.0 this was more applicable to school than to a CodeClub. I saw Scratch as a new tool for teachers in sustaining constructivist learning (which generally fades out when children are about 8-9 yrs old). I want to excite teachers about how they can continue a constructivist approach to motivate learning in children and students from 7 - 17 yrs.

Since June of this year, when the Media Lab simplified the Scratch 2.0 stage with the option of fine-line vector grid squares instead of pixels, all the teachers I have shown it to in Ireland and England have shown heightened and passionate enthusiasm for Scratch. Modern teachers could be shown the new possibilities of constructivist learning that gives them freedom within the structure of the ‘system’. In a remarkable way, Scratch can liberate teachers and make planning a lot easier, saving time for not just one, but two or more subjects, without the need to change a timetable. Teachers will be liberated to see Scratch as not just for CodeClubs, but marvellous in the classroom. Thank you Mitch, Natalie and the Media Lab team

See examples at scratch.mit.edu/users/readysteadycode More info on the blog at goo.gl/NiGzgo

Mi pare di aver capito che “wide walls” sia da intendere come “grandi pareti” nel senso di ambiente molto grande e spazioso :slight_smile:

“While many educators, parents, and
developers continue to focus on extrinsic rewards
such as points and prizes to motivate
learning (Usher & Kober, 2012), the growing engagement of youth in making projects shows
that interest based motivation is also possible (Honey & Kanter, 2013).”

It makes me wonder…how do we use the almost physical knowledge that kindergarden teachers have (in Denmark) of how children engage in learning, making projekts while they play, in the school system? And especially focusing on children who have difficulties dealing with traditional teaching…
I have a 9 year old son and I can se that the teaching in his school is operating quite a lot with projekts, but I find it difficult to imagine how they possible can work with “wide walls” and be able to pick up every pupils interest…
And I wonder if my own approach to making projekts with children is formed more by my own school experiences and less of my knowledge from working with small children…wondering …wondering… wondering… (absolutely a passion ;-))