LCL

[Week 2 Reflection] Thinking about Coding

Dear Augusto,

Thank you very much!!

Kind Regards, Monique

I’ve been using Scratch for a while now, so this activity didn’t change my views necessarily. What it did reinforce is that I really like the playfulness of Scratch. It feels fun to make things in this way. I asked myself “What if I do this?” and then this sparked off additional ideas. It’s so important to have tasks which are open-ended and have more than one ‘right’ answer.

Yes Tinkercad is super cool!! I also use the Arduino extension that’s featured on the ScratchX platform - it makes it easy to combine Scratch projects with Arduino inputs and outputs!

I found your post very information. Thank you.

I came into teaching from the IT world. I use Scratch with my students and I run a program during break for students who want to learn it. However, I am not really interested in teaching my students to become programmers. I believe that it actually takes a certain mind set to take on programming as an endeavor or career.

For me Scratch: (in no particular order)

• is another tool to develop problem solving skills
  • develops language at many levels
  • allows all of my students to create something that is uniquely theirs, at their level, and thus, build confidence that may not have been there before
  • teaches students to learn to think through ideas

But most of all, Scratch gives me an opportunity to turn passive users of technology to active creators. We may not be able to turn back the clock and have children tinkering outside and building imaginary worlds in the backyard out of anything they can find, but, if we must, we can certainly build a new type of backyard.

I’ve used Scratch for a number of months now. I enjoy it. I use it during my free time. Infact, I get so engrossed with it. I used to think coding as something technical, maybe more appropriate for someone very bright. I also thought of coding as ‘machine oriented’ i.e someone who is not very friendly but would prefer to speak to machines. However, after using Scratch, that idea has definitely changed. It is for everyone and it is useful. I am able to interact with my young kid with coding. I love the imaginative part that enables creativity. My daughter and I code together and I always appreciate her work, how quickly she turns her imagination into ideas.

I absolutely agree. More and more, education is being discussed and viewed as a venue for churning out the flavour of the month worker. I believe education is for the development of each human being to allow them to be in control of their destiny. Education should give the same opportunity for all people to have a common ground of understanding and a chance at playing on the same leveled playing field.

Why do we need to develop “digital literacy” and “computational thinking”? The assumption appears to be that current literacy and thinking skills are not transferable. If so, how did we get as far as we have already? Many of our innovations come from people who attended traditional and non-digital schools and universities.

In the past, many new grads were hired not because they were already trained on how to do a particular job, but that they had demonstrated that they have the ability to learn and persevere and had potential. Companies seem to want to turn the public school system into a free training ground for themselves instead of investing their own money into training workers for their specific industry.

Sorry for the soapbox stand. But …

Before using scratch and working on animating my name… I didn’t like coding… my brain translates the the word ‘coding’ into complicated texts and symbols that makes me feel uncomfortable. But using bricks to code and make something out of it and enjoy it this much to the point of losing sense of time was a true beautiful experience!

I want to to try something now and add my personal touches and express myself more… I want to explore different possibilities and make something different!!

I think coding is a beautiful universal langue…

I started coding a long time ago with Basic then Pascal, Delphi, C++, SQL, HTML and JavaScript.
I’ve never enjoyed graphic computation at University so Scratch was a challenge for myself. Actually, reflecting on it, I remember that I never was very good in arts. lol! It’s fun because there is no such thing “to be good or bad in arts” when you are a child. But, definitely, something happened with me and arts at school, because outside school I used to have painting classes and I was very good at it.
Coming back to Scratch, it was fun and boring/annoying at the same time. Fun because the interface, the colorful environment and the activity were fun. Boring/annoying because for each letter you supposed to repeat the whole code. I think that Scratch should have a function ComeBackToBegin, where all the objects come back to the first position, color, etc. I know I can create this function, but…
I feel that I still don’t get the whole environment for creating animation or stories, but if I wanna master it the only way is by practicing on it.

Actually, I think the discussion is interesting and it’s important to reflect on the interests of companies like Google and Facebook to invest in coding for children, but I have posted it, so that we can take our own stand: discover we we DO think every child should learn to code (in the broad sense of the word… like it’s promoted by MIT Medialab and the Scratch-team: not to train programmers, but to facilitate the learning process of children, in which the can be creative, discover their talents and passions, tell their stories and empower themselves.

So: I have posted the article but I don’t really agree with it (unfortunately it is in Dutch, but I suppose the same discussion appears in other languages as well)

For me, coding is scary. I feel intimidated and assume those that can do it are much smarter than I am. My recent experiences with Scratch have helped me feel like the whole concept is more accessible to me. However, I still struggle with the potential usage and impact on my practice. I see other educators who are able to embed it in meaningful, thoughtful ways but I am just not there yet.

my first approach to scratch was months ago when my kid star to learn it at school, it was a kind of flash back to me, when i first learn encoding basics (on basic!!!) on the 80’s! this new experience is so mucho fun, and force me to slow thinking… a kind of vipassana meditation, it was an interesting mix!

As someone who has most of a computer science degree, coding to me could be a very daunting subject for other teachers (who do not have my background) to approach in a school. I have used many different coding applications with my students, but this is the first time I have used scratch. Working in the Library, it has been really great to see how each year group in the school (i’m using it with 2-6) are approaching it, and to see how the older students in particular are able to adapt their projects with the more abstract ideas and processes. There has been success across the board, and although we are only using the basic tutorials at this stage, no two projects have been alike, and that is what excites me. Listening to the more experienced students who are part of code club or have used scratch at home explain concepts and ideas to the others has been amazing, as many of them are really grasping these difficult concepts of logic and process. I think if I had used scratch (it didn’t exist then?) when I was younger, then I would have had more success with coding at university and maybe not have quit my computer science degree :wink:

Hi, my experience with Scratch started at school years ago when I felt the necessity to find a tool to promote the digital literacy in classroom activities.
My knowledge in coding became more conscious above all thanks to my students works: their learning by doing pushed me discovering new functions. I learned with them, and I became more confident.
The first thing I’ve noticed, also in Coderdojo activities, it is that working with Scratch stimulates the work in pairs, and the cooperation. Both these are in my opinion the strength points, similar to the social-digital improvement of consciousness using the platform.
Aldo

Thank you @AnneOgborn for your reflection and to stimulate me to go deeper to better know the functional paradigm applied in education field. I will explore more.

So I suppose the choice of a specific paradigm it could depend on the child (in the past I thought it could be related to the genre) , and we should find a way to propose both. The pedagogy of computational thinking was just born.

My experience with scratch was a bit frustrating. I couldn’t seem to get the commands to work properly. It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure everything out. I’ve always thought of coding as a difficult task and didn’t think I would ever be able to complete any type of computer coding. With a little bit of practice I think the end product was an accomplishment!

I am not very computer literate. I know the basics and that’s about it, but I actually enjoyed using Scratch. It was still a little difficult to understand what all of the buttons were for and I’m sure it will take some getting used to, but I liked the website. I feel as if people from any ages can code using Scratch. I will definitely be using this in my classroom to help students create projects.

While Scratch wasn’t my first programming environment (I learned a little BASIC as a child in the 80’s), it was Turtle Art (www.turtleart.org) that really got me to understand the beauty of programming. As a faculty member at Constructing Modern Knowledge, I learned from the best in Artemis Papert and Brian Silverman. I was treated to the beauty of being able to create iterative mathematical operations, those I had long found to be boring and tedious to care about, to create lovely pieces of art. The same can be done in Scratch or many other programming environments, but Turtle Art was a great entry for me, and now my students, to the world of programming. Creating small procedures and using them to make more complex programs became clearer. I now can look at code from many other languages and start to see the structure. Though much of it seems esoteric the more advanced the language is, I now have the confidence to try to “decipher” the code into the principles I know well; procedures, loops, inputs, conditionals, etc.

I am working on similar experiences for my students by introducing them to Turtle Art and Scratch first and building challenges and projects that will allow them to understand the principles of programming. Projects are important, but principles carry on, not only into other programming languages, but as approaches to thinking and learning.

I was introduce to coding when I decided to be part of the robotics team at school. At the beginning I thoung I wouldn´t be able to do it. I seems to be very difficult to understand, comprenhen and do…but it was all the opposite…I has helped me to understad things different and push me to try more and more…students enjoy creating and you can enjoy every idea, discover and production they do…My own challenge is to start a project with kinderganden students using Scratch jr and show them to code, think and create…

My inspirations was neon markers, I wanted to have the effect that I was writing the letter with a neon marker, but I needed some more time, so I decided to instead making the letter blinks. I had to use a function and variables. I can see how it is easy it is to write code in Scratch rather than writing code on a editor. You can play around on Scratch like when I draw or write, moving things and tinkering until it is closed to my inspirations. Of course I have to set a time limit, I could spent all my day working on it.

Boa tarde,
A minha experiência com o Scratch mudou a minha forma de ver a programação, porque antes eu achava impossível aprender a programar, e também não conhecia essa linguagem em blocos.
Faz muito pouco tempo que entrei em contato com o Scratch e realmente achei muito interessante essa linguagem, por meio dela podemos exercitar a nossa mente de maneira lúdica e descontraída, por isso pretendo aprender cada vez mais.

Um abraço a todos!!
E boa aprendizagem

Marcilene Godoy