LCL

[Week 2 Reflection] Creative Learning Spiral

Hello Bice
Good question
In fact I draw the mistake cloud lateral to Play but I think that
it must be "inside"
Thanks for the observation
Can I ask you a question?
Is mistake also inside the other clouds? (Imagine, create, etc…)?

Bye

One of the most trying ports in my own mind storm is the crisis of confidence that occurs as I near the end of creating something. It is the most entropic of all the times in the process and hope is at a low. It is at this time that I think “oh no! Everyone will see I am a fraud! The costume will not move properly! The story is poorly conceived! All is lost!” Usually it is then that some empathetic and kind soul will say “Keep going! It’s good!”. Also, a deadline has a way of forcing perspective into a situation. Here is my spiral.This is my Scratch decorated classroom!

in my opinion mistake could be inside other clouds or it can be written over the arrows that move from a cloud to itself or to another…

Hi @jamelende, I agree with @elibio

but, in my opinion, a better word could be error rather than mistake because its etymology.
Error comes to the word “to wander” . Mistake it means take in a wrong way.

A way is a way, not bad or good, also when a way is considered bad it could conduct to an amazing discovering or permit a different evolution.

e https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/error#Etymology

Yes, “error” is better, thank you for the etymology!

Hi elibio and bice
Very good point there is a difference between error and mistake
Perhaps the best word is error or misconception

yes I think error is a better word, here in colombia there is on n ly one word ERROR THERE IS NO EQUIVALENT FOR MISTAKE.
Perhaps one interesting word is misconception

Hi @jamelende and @Bice_Rapaccini!
Does “misconception” recall something negative to you?
your contributions to our conversation made me think about the word “error”: it is used and studied in many fields such as measurement, coding, statistic…

For me misconception is not negative but error and mistake sometimes yes, in the sense that in school and University students mistakes and errors are considered to be bad (especially in exams!!!)
On the other side misconceptions I think is viewing something in one way and later on discovering that it was not the way to seeit , for example all scientific theories arises from misconceptions of older theories.

I would describe my creative learning process more in a web format, when is similar to the creative learning spiral. With the web, I find there isn’t a beginning or end, that the process is always ongoing. Here is something I made.

@jamelende and @elibio the suffix mis it means minus, so I feel it as negative word (but maybe it is conditioned by my mother tongue language) . It is the negative of something , in this case is a bad conception, it means there is something good in somewhere.

Error is a word without being in opposition to another word.
To err it means moving without a direction, it seems more similar to a tinkering approach.

What about fault? In technology fault is a physical defect.
In hand made products defects could be useful in distinguishing the industrial products, fault becomes a value.

The spiral is a great tool for teaching anyone in creative or design fields about process and trusting that process.
This year, I taught at a film summer camp and it was inspiring to watch new groups of students get so excited about creating. It even abated some apathy I’ve developed after working in the entertainment industry for a few years.
The logistical parameters of the program - quick lessons and projects that only lasted 1 or 2 weeks - naturally developed a creative learning spiral. Many students were met with technical challenges or time constraints that required them to re-imagine their original ideas. They were grouped with other students at different skill levels, experience, and even different nationalities and had to work through creative differences, management skills and sometimes language barriers.
I had several students flop down on the couch in my office and “give up” or have a crisis of confidence. This crisis of confidence, as many people have mentioned already, is an important step and a slippery slope. I’ve definitely allowed myself to get stuck at this step on past projects, but have learned to add a “take a step back” step and give myself some space form the project when I’m feeling particularly low or overwhelmed.
Some of the students had just made their first films and they were already so down on themselves that they couldn’t achieve the vision they had in their heads. If a student was stuck feeling low, we would ask “Is there anything you can do now that will make you feel better about the project? What would you do different next time? What can you learn from this?” Though it didn’t always work, the receptive students would latch on to a new idea and get going with their projects again or apply it to the next projects we did.
I’ve been inspired by this lesson to really think about my own creative learning spiral. I’ve conceptualized the ideation process in a cheesy 3 word slogan: “Feel. Envision. Create.” I’ve always felt my strongest ideas come from an initial strong feeling or emotion that allows me to start examining the world around me with a new perspective. Now I’m interested in completing my spiral and expanding upon the “Create” step to visualize my process and how a project comes to completion.

When i create (and creating in my type of work usualy means theatrical art) the spiral goes somehow like this:
TASK GIVEN - STUCK - IMAGINE - IMAGINE - IMAGINE - STUCK - FORGET ABOUT IT - IMAGINE - WRITE - CREATE - REFLECT - IMAGINE
I usualy create all sorts of happenings in my school and usualy i don’t decide what or when i’m going to create, so since it doesn’t come directly from your own inspiration it is difficut to have a personal relation to the project at once. But usualy the “love story” begins somwhere in the middle of the process. When you doscover, that you actually enjoy creating whatever you’re creating and that at the end you imagine waht all you could do better if the “love affair” would catch you earlier.
Or at least this is how i feel and create.

Cool. I made reanbow patterns in your scratch!

Cate,
I can relate to what you say. Getting in a flow is sometimes difficult because of my selfcriticism. Only when I am doing stuff solely for myself (like a painting or collagemaking) I take the freedom (making mistakes) and time to just do and experiment. That’s quality time!
Diana

Yes, I agree that the emtional energy is important and it often appears while we learning

About my creative learning spiral…
I don’t do any real projects myself. Professionally I mean.
But I like very much to help others with their projects. Helping them reflect or expanding their imagination.
What I still do is small projects at home. Experimenting with cooking, knitting, collagemaking, sewing.
I am not conciously using a creative learning spiral. It’s more like a cloud filling with knowlegde, stuff and trics. At a certain point a sollution, suggestion, plan, or work of art comes out.
I would like to do more playing and sharing (most scary).

In working with children I like the approach of giving a challenge like assignment. After giving materials to use I like to minimize interaction to two questions. What did you want to achieve, do or make? and What is hampering you to go on?
A garantee for chaos, but also a sure way of getting children to play and experiment.

Thanks for sharing the Kolb learning styles. It’s still very popular in most teacher training curricula across the globe. Unfortunately the idea of learners having a preferred learning style is a myth.
A summary can be found on: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/13/teachers-neuromyth-learning-styles-scientists-neuroscience-education
https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/evidence-summaries/teaching-learning-toolkit/learning-styles

My creative learning process is similar:
Imagine
Search for information
Create
Debugging
Improve

Thank you Filip, you are probably right: it is of course a model, to schematize learning.

It certainly is not meant to say that everybody has just one preferred learning style and should stick to that (and that you should offer every individual kid a different learning style within one activity). I remember that the theory said you should pass through all stages of the circle in order to learn truly.

But it made me realize that different people have different ways of learning they feel comfortable with (especially: to start off).

For instance: if you want to learn to juggle, one person will say: “Give me the 3 balls and just let me practice a bit by myself”
Another will say: “Could you first show me how to do it?”
Or: “Could you give me some tips how to start?”
And yet another one: “Have you got a manual for me?”

So, if your style as a teacher/coach/educator is always to start off with: “Here you have 3 balls and go ahead: try it out by yourself”, some people will block: so you should offer some variation in these styles (at least, that is how I understood that theory)