LCL

[Week 2 Reflection] Creative Learning Spiral

I had not seen this, thank very much for sharing, loved reading this over my morning latte.

Have you seen this book…a great read

I think the spiral is not a linear process, you probably go back and forth all the time. One Created Imagination could lead to another Imagination before you even have the chance to Play, and when you are Playing you go back and recreate and improve your Imagination. Then you Fail (at least I do) and you get another point of view and create something new and improved out of the failure.

This is a little too linear, but the spiral is connected in a “rainbowish” way. Drag one part when they are all connected.

Sometimes I think that it would be interesting to introduce to the Creative Learning Spiral an “Inspiration” phase. In my case, sometimes, before to imagine I start by exploring to get inspired and this “Inspire” phase is in the middle of the other parts of the Spiral (specially in Create and Share). So sometimes I think about a “Inspire” bubble that goes around the whole process.

I’m also interested in the relation of the Creative Learning Spiral and the Scientific Method :slight_smile:

Exploring the conversations in the “How do facilitate projects” Forum, I can see a very close relation with the Inspiration phase. Sometimes it is very difficult for people to start creating a project without inspiration (what do you want to create sometimes is too large). I loved the idea of one participant that start by asking “What do you like?” or "How can we build a project to improve something in [insert the area]?. I think this is the biggest challenge when starting to work with projects and I think that it is very interesting to start by providing some places to explores and inspire.

I like the spiral, and recognize its beauty and utility, but mine is not a smooth and continuous elegant curve. In my spiral there are breaks and bends and twists and chunky parts where things get kind of thick for a while. The important (and exciting) thing is that it can go on for as long as I do. I am still so excited to learn and do and make…I’m hoping that that excitement and straining forward for the next project can be communicated to the kids that I work with. In my opinion, that creative impulse is truly the meat of being human.

My spiral is like this.

These two “TINKERING LOOP” is very important, I think. Kids can learn a lot and get new ideas from these loops.

the student is a normal potato
and he will be upgraded by leaning new things

the potato became PC potato after learning

I think for me there is no single spiral of creative learning process. Sometimes it is quite similar with the given picture, other times it is quite different.

However, I think my learning process always follow on scientific learning methodology (hypothesize - build - measure - learn) and adapt this method according to the context of the learning.

How Do You Say Learning Spiral
This is a collaborative projects started during the first LCL editions

HOW TO COLLABORATE
If you wanto to add your language or other kind of languages like klingon, runic, maya, follow the instructions inside the doc

I like the tinkering loop part. It is so important to the process. We must give students permission to tinker.

It’s a shame that as adults we feel like we have less ability to take risks, imagine, and create. I’m grateful to work in a school that allows us to explore and take risks within the curriculum. It allows for the same curriculum to look different (and improve) each year!

There is a similar learning cycle from Marina Bers team. I think you work a lot with them??

based on the Engineering Design Process (simplified). What do you see as being in the Play component of the Creative Learning Spiral - is this ‘using/testing/changing’?

A really useful tool for reflection - and straightforward enough for children to use too

Do we need to start a creative process with a question or to ask something? How children create something? How it is important in a creative process a goal?

Interesting that I’m the opposite. My imaging phase goes on for a very long time (years sometimes), then I create-play-get stuck-ask for help-create-play pretty quickly in comparison.

Alongside the learning spiral is a web of understanding into which new thoughts, concepts, knowledge, skills and emotions are assimilated. Each new thing changes the whole body of our understanding. Sometimes it is like a small addition but sometimes an idea will revolutionise our whole picture of everything.

As teachers we are responsible for our own learning and we can also accompany others on their learning journey. What a privilege!

I’m in love with this spiral. It can be the first step of a lot of activities in my classrooms. I think I will hang it on the wall to remember it to all my pupils.

Here is my Creative Learning Spiral. I added debugging or testing in my process. Because I feel it is an important learning part of the process overall. I think having things not work or making mistakes is just as important as the final product that does work. Some of my greatest learning opportunities have come from mistake, having to troubleshoot or fixing bugs because things did not work and it led me down a different path where I learned more than I ever thought I would or could.

Olá Joanna, me identifiquei com sua metáfora de girassol. Além de belíssima flor, percebo esta simetria natural com o processo de aprendizagem criativa.
As contribuições de Jean Piaget, nas relações de equilíbrio e desequilíbrios, para que ocorra aprendizagem.

The Creative Learning Spiral posted is great. I think mine, and how I try to encourage kids to look at it, would have the ‘imagine’ bubble at every step (e.g., imagine - create - imagine/reflect - play - imagine). The creativity and inspiration, food for imagination, that come to you during the creative process is amazing!