LCL

[Week 2 Reflection] Creative Learning Spiral

stupore e meraviglia preambolo alla creatività

Grazie a Louise (ancora oggi mi trovo spaesata con tutto questo Scracht, Coder Dojo, ecc) e faccio leva su una sua suggestione e l’imput dato dalla parola SPIRALE. L’a.s. 2016-2017 abbiamo affrontato il tema della CHIOCCIOLA come metafora per lavorare con un gruppo di circa 300 anime tra bambini/ragazzi e docenti, dall’Asilo Nido alla Scuola Superiore di II grado. E in maniera trasversare e per competenze diverse, ci siamo confrontati e stimolati grazie tema comune per poi sviluppare la creatività attraverso la MATERIA DI SCARTO AZIENDALE - principale obiettivo del nostro Centro Remida a Borgo San Lorenzo (Firenze). Sono nate mille interessanti idee creative.
Voglio sfidare il mega gruppo di LCL a riflettere sull’importanza di creare connessione trasversali a più livelli dove i soggetti posso dialogare nonostante le diverse età e gli ambiti disciplinari diversi. Abituare i piccoli e i grandi a costruire su un TEMA comune - come la CHIOCCIOLA CON I SUOI MILLE SIGNIFICATI - il percorso creativo che ha di per se un ampio valore e porta ad una crescita emozionale di alto livello.

grazie! thanks for your lovely post…( I google translated it from Italian)…absolutely agree on cross disciplinary interconnected opportunities with children and adults creating together

really like this…what is your current work?

I LOVE the addition of making mistakes as an essential component of the creation spiral! So important and so overlooked!

I think this is how I would describe my own creative learning process.

For me there is a step before Imagine that is the catalyst for doing the initial thinking. It might be an opportunity seen or one that is given or perhaps the wish to fulfill some desire (like playing some childhood game again). Then I’ll think about the possible result; even if it is done the very best way, will it turn out well for me?

In my Create / Play steps I’ll cycle around these two quite a bit. For example I had a great deal more options and instrumentation in my Scratch “Play and Create” project but after a few play cycles I decided that “less was more”.

The Scratch IDE shares a project in the sense of “letting it fly away”. But sharing in terms of the Creative Spiral appears to need both receiving and feedback. However, I just upload whatever I feel like so if the Creative process is partially a social process then I’m not doing it right. But from various comments on the Scratch forums it does look like this disconnect between “set-it-free sharing” and “some sort of feedback from sharing” breaks the cycle for many young Scratchers.

I see reflection as the process of asking oneself what went well and what is it about the project that makes it useful or interesting to myself or other people (what would I put into an advertisement – which in the Scratch culture is a dirty word). I also consider what changes would be fun and interesting in the new and improved version.

With apologies to Dr. Scratch I doubt that the reflection step after sharing step works often for reflecting on a failed project. There is no limited or internal sharing. It’s done to everyone or no one. Some Scratchers will post a forum comment “HELP me I’m stuck” but mostly I see a lot of partially working projects with no requests for feedback.

I keep re-writing this post. I want to be helpful and not tear down. Scratch as a web site is great but can only do so much. If parents and educators can put Scratchers in the same room then I believe real magic can happen.

In the learning spiral, for me the create step is try, try and try again.

Certainly use something similar at work as a Civil and Structural Engineer:
Plan - Create - Model - Test - Review - Refine - Plan etc.

At the intersection of science & art, I like to think the Creative Learning Spiral is more of a sunflower; spirals intersecting, overlapping, expanding, weaving in, around, over and through; everything related, connected. Just as there is symmetry in nature, I like to believe there is symmetry and balance in how the brain works and processes.
In light of this week’s readings, videos and exercise/activity, the Creative Learning Spiral starts from a place of wonder and, the process, ideally concrete and hands-on. The 2 key take-aways I got from this week, so far, are:

1. a repudiation of the traditional, conventional, dogged adherence and insistence on the superiority of formal/abstract reasoning at the expense of appreciation of the concrete process (Seymour, especially) and
  2. comparing coding or programming to writing: developing coding skills, extending to that of making, indeed, BRILLIANT! ("…it’s not enough to learn spelling, grammar & punctuation, it’s important to learn to tell stories and communicate your ideas" (Resnick) and, thereby, I might add, suffuse your writing (and coding) with meaning and purpose. EMPOWERING!
    Last year I inquired of a particularly bright student if he could recommend a website to learn coding. He did not hesitate in recommending Scratch. When I went to the website, I found the format and tutorials difficult to navigate and understand. I don’t know if that is by design, but I felt there was little in the way of guidance. In hindsight, I am thankful to have had to figure it out myself this time, rather than having had it spoonfed to me. Whereas last time I got frustrated, this time round, I was highly motivated to persevere and found it exhilarating.
    Also, I found Resnick’s story about making a miniature golf course in his backyard and Emma Shoe’s discovery process in the video completely and utterly charming & delightful!

[Week 3 Activity] Animate an Interest

Thanks Louise. We launched the pattern ABC at RISD and Sandbox@MIT, and currently I am creating activity cards for each of the patterns. The patterns are at the MoMA Art Lab that has a Nature theme this year.

My interest in taking LCL is to verify I am making the acitivities really expand on how to learn creatively.

Have you seen this “Jeremy the Lefty Snail Is Dead. His Offspring Are All Right.” in NYT? Fascinating and yet so logical.

I deeply agree with sensual learning. For our pattern activity set we use the continuum Visual Spatial Tactile Kinesthetic.

My personal spiral of creativity seems to have a very short “imagine” phase. I tend to jump into “create” pretty quickly, hit the “fail” part, and then go into a “plan” phase where I start to get serious about what it is going to take to make it succeed. So I guess my "imagine - create - play…’ has a little “create - fail - plan” spiral at the beginning. I tend to start assembling without reading the instruction booklet, get stuck, and then read the instruction booklet. I don’t think I’m alone.

What comes before imagination? Silence, Space and Time, Boredom facilitate Creativity.

Researchers found this relationship.
The science behind how boredom benefits creative thought

So before imagine we could write : Get Bored! (Annoiati in Italian), we don’t have to be scared about this word.

Kindergarten children often experiment this feeling and they try to invent something new.

Love this!

I like the creative learning spiral as it is. It seems similar to other models of constructivist learning that I have seen, and it seems to resonate with my experience. But… maybe it’s because I have a 12-week-old daughter here with me… sometimes I think the spiral is much simpler; it’s just: “play.” Young kids and middle schoolers (who I teach) seem to learn so much by just playing. Yes, sometimes they imagine what they are going to do first, sometimes they create something to play with, and sometimes they share and/or reflect on their play… but other times they just play! I think there is something to be said for the creative learning spiral just being the word play in a spiral! (If I were better with graphic design, I’d make it… a little help?)

Hi

My training with Raspberry Pi showed me how to be positive about failing…

When we fail, we are actually at the First Attempt In Learning!

So it’s good to FAIL.

:o)

I’m Pedagogy - work and support the new process of learning - from 7 years and actually, I’m coordinator project of my “Promotion Social Association” and the most are:

• Centro di riuso creativo ReMida
  • Piccolo Museo dei Bambini
  • Cubotondo
    In every Project I develop many field and connection. So, I living with “Practice Passion in my Project with Peer”

I like how you have integrated get stuck, do research and collect resources to the spiral.

We use the Engineering Design Process in class to solve design problems. It can also be applied to solve personal problems such as how to make from one class to another in 3 minutes or less.
The EDP breaks the problem into manageable parts, but also allows the problem solver to revisit a steps in order to improve the solution. The create step is a combination of all steps because students think of things they didn’t ask before they started getting their hands dirty. It keeps creativity alive throughout the entire process.

awesome - thank you!