I have played shortly with scratch about a year ago, to try and get my girls interested, but no luck.
I started with a simple find a font, place them on the canvas, but found I had chosen costumes instead of sprites, which I didn’t quite understand.
- Trial and error (typical me)
Iterate: adding some animation from the corners in to where I wanted them to be.
- add some more complexity.
Iterate: adding a popping sound each time a letter landed in place.
- more complexity.
Iterate: rotate the letters after landing in place, but couldn’t get the M to rotate. So I changed it’s colour instead.
- adapt what I want with what is possible
Iterate: add click event to the letters to make them larger and add speech bubble to inform user.
- play with stuff in the toolbox.
This is pretty much my standard approach to any programming project I do, at work or home. So it was nice to see my process being adapted to a new tool. What was also typical for me personally was the speed at which it became boring to me. It’s difficult to stick with a made-up-project, maybe it would be different if it was something I had a passion about…