LCL

[Week 1 Reflection] Pick a P!

PLAY

I’m most excited for play because I just realized how much my startup journey mirrors the process of play described in the first reading!

Imagine a group of kindergarten children, playing on the floor with a collection of wooden blocks. Two of the children begin building a castle, inspired by a fairy tale their teacher read to them.

This is just like how my friends and I first started with our ed-tech ideas at a hackathon. Instead of blocks, we were playing with pitch decks and a business model canvas. The fairy tales were the TED talks and stories of local entrepreneurs that we heard in the morning sessions.

They build the base of the castle and then start building a lookout tower on top. They keep adding more blocks, and the tower gets taller and taller. Eventually, the tower tips over and falls to the ground. The children start building again, trying to make the tower more stable.

Eventually we built our MVP and pitched it at the hackathon. It fell, we lost. After the hackathon, we kept on refining our product, adding and removing features, with our teachers (mentors) telling us the how & why of our small failures.

Meanwhile, another child starts telling a story about the family living inside the castle. Her friend extends the story, adding a new character. The two children go back and forth, continually adding to the story. As the castle grows, so does the story. As the kindergarten children play, they learn many things. As they build towers, they develop a better understanding of structures and stability.

Throughout the year, we kept joining more competitions, pitching different ideas, and failing and succeeding to varying degrees. The more we built, the more we played, the better we understood what underpins successful, scalable startups and what it takes to be an entrepreneur,.

My P is Passion. My way is to follow my heart. So I have lived and I’m living today. Part of it is living in the moment. Best moments are of love and flow. I have experienced flow many times playing music and in the nature. Sometimes I have experienced it also coding. Thats why I love it.

le due P che mi colpiscono particolarmente sono la P di passione e la P di Play .
Mi colpiscono perche penso che il gioco sia proprio un momento di godimento speciale e che sia reso ancor più bello dalla passione .

I am most interested in project, thinking about my experience. I have learned many things from projects that can not be learned in usual one-direction class. For example, when I got rather angry in discussion I realized I have such kind of traits and searched how to control my feeling. In another example, when I was stuck in projects, I started to think about why this situation happened and analyze. To summerise these experiences, projects are important for learning because it entails experience, it leads to deep memory and understanding(it is called procedural knowledge). Projects lead us to use brains spontainously.

I’m curious about Projects. I feel very limited in the kinds of projects that I am familiar about and do. I wish I didn’t have to scour the internet for hours on end to find the perfect activity for my students.

My real interest is in reflecting on, and finding out how the 4 Ps interact in my own experiences. What does it look like for an adult? (OK, hanging out with 10 year-olds every day allows the child in me to come out on a daily basis…)? What does it look like in educational contexts for older students?
My slate is blank. I’m ready to explore, reflect, remember (that might be the hardest part…), and learn!

Creo que las 4 son importantes ya que van ligadas entre si, pero si tuviera que escoger una sería pasión. La pasión mueve todo lo que hacemos, es decir, si hacemos algo con pasión lo haremos bien o trabajaremos incansablemente hasta hacerlo bien porque hay algo dentro de nosotros que nos mueve. En cuanto al aprendizaje en aula, soy profesora y hay poco estudiantes que encuentran alguna pasión que los mueva, así que lo que funciona con ellos es trabajar con proyectos, a medida que realizan proyectos van interactuando con las otras Ps.

I am really interested about “peers” and "play"
I mean… a couple of times I have seen some people who prefer not to share learning, knowledge and they just force themselves to learn by themselves… well, i got interested in how this “peer” process work.
And also “play” … i read that if you have fun while learning, you tend to remember more… well with playing that seems true :smiley:

I would pick Peers. Social learning occurs with peers. As a teacher I am also a member of the “peer group” in the classroom and my students interact with me. They learn from me / each other and so do I.

Peers is important for me as I have come to learn, share and think about how our peers contribute to our success in creating thriving learning environments, and how we deal with conflict or the challenges that may come to exist when “peers” are not buying into the “game” or not playing along.

Collaboration in an incredibly valuable skill for the future and for learning, so how do we as facilitators manage peers interactions in trying to establish and create optimal learning environments.

Since I work at a democratic free school, Play sticks out to me the most. Most educators today don’t appreciate the importance of play not JUST for Kindergarteners, but more older elementary grades and even middle and high school students. I’ve personally seen a lot of student at Makarios Community School learning through play. One of my favorite times was when a group of 6-9 year olds asked me to join their game of fake JC (Judicial Committee). JC is one of the most important structures of our democratic school and one of the least pleasant things to do sometimes, but these kids were learning so much by playing it! They were practicing leadership, how to act in JC, how the order of events goes in it, and even possible consequences for rule infractions. Of course this was one of the most explicit examples of learning through play, and I believe kids of all ages learn a lot from play even when we adults can’t dissect it like I did here.

Hello! I’m particularly curious about all the 4 Ps. But perhaps the P for Project is the one I’m more excited about. As I’m an ICT teacher, I always work with my students in project based learn. More, I work collaboratively with other teachers across different curriculum subjects and, often do that by using scratch combined with other technologies and materials.I have curiosity to discover what you are doing, and what you propose to do in that area, so I can grow up professionally and develop new skills and ideias to apply in my classes.

I am interested most on peers, as most times I will finish a project myself, but sometimes when i collaborate with others I find I always can do things better, includes learning, such as communicate with others of what I learned. So I am curious how to get the impetus for me to like to collaborate with others and to create a collaborative environment for learners.

yes, I think so, especially in the online learning environment

All of them are interesting, but at this moment in my professional development as an educator, I am really curious about Peers. I teach coding to Kinder and 3rd graders and one of our big goals is to drive discourse through computation thinking. I’d love to experience the “peers” aspect of creative learning to take back and discuss with my team.

I know that if you follow your passion, you have success.
For many peolpe, the difficulty is to believe in it.

Among the 4P’s i think am really excited about the Projects part, I would love to get the experience of projects which can make learners more enthusiastic leading to creativity and problem solving scenarios. I would also love to get ideas on how to improve the passion of students towards their learning.

I am most interested in passion. My desire is to instill passion in each of my students. Without passion, there is no fire or desire to learn. From my own life experiences, I have learned that passion is a vital part of the learning process. The student has to want to learn in order to succeed. I would like to learn different ways to instill a passion for learning and creativity in my students.

Play! When I was a child, I was imaginative and very vocal. But these traits starting fading away when I started elementary school. All the drilling lead to decent grades, but gone was my imagination and creativity. We even memorized essays to get good grades which jeopardized my confidence in writing. Being vocal on the other hand, wins you a label of ‘problematic’. So, talk only when you need to and get good grades in your exams seems to be my motto then.

Recently, I read a book called ‘Totto-Chan, The little girl at the window’. I was so fascinated by the concept of the school and the beliefs of the headmaster!!!

Experiential learning through play ! I’d like to go to a school like that! It would have made learning/ schooling so much fun!!
download

To me, the most important of the 4P’s is passion. Over the years, I have seen a huge difference in my work ethic when I am genuinely excited about something. In Lifelong Kindergarten, Mitchel Resnick writes, “When people work on projects they care about, they’re willing to work longer and harder.” I can absolutely say I agree with this. As a future teacher, I want to give my students choice about the things they create, or write about, or read about. When we take away the choice, children are unable to truly discover if they enjoy something or not.