LCL

[Week 1 Reflection] Pick a P!

Interesting projects are most exciting for me as it’s easier to customise it for different passion, peer groups and play

Play and peers resonate the most to me. It’s plenty fine to play on one’s own, but it’s almost always more fun with a friend, collaborator, team, or buddy. Our synergistic brains love the company!

It has to be play for me, though I believe all have a fundamental interdependence that they cannot easily be extrapolated.

In play you free boundaries and allow opportunities for creativity. Linked with the other principles, this can be focussed into being the artist, inventor, coder, chef (or anything) that you want to be.

Through experimentation and getting things wrong, through unpressured play we learn to take risks, experience and cope with failure and success and see opportunities.

I’m going for P of Peers. I’m a very social person and like to work together with all people over the world to create projects for children and with children so that they have a better education then mine. I would like to have a bigger head for all the information I get every day. With peers you don’t have to know everything yourself but you can split the information by the talents of each person and join in making awesome projects.

I am most excited about PLAY.

For me, play has such a crucial role to play in wanting to spend time learning and working on something. When I’m tackling projects, inevitably things will get hard, not work and become a little frustrating, but I find that injecting a playful spirit into the work allows you to push through that and persist.

I am also endlessly fascinated by our minds and their abilities to solve problems and make connections. When I am being playful, I find that creative solutions or new ideas just seem to flow.

-Adam

I think passion and play. It has to be of interest (passion) to you and you have to spend time (play) learning about it.

I am interested by play. We can promote a fun process introducing gamification concepts. The children are motivated and more engaged when they are having fun. So, play is a powerful instrument.

I joined a bit late but projects coupled with play works for well.

I will settle with PROJECT. For me, I think project is the fundamental building block for PASSION, PEERS and PLAY to grow and come into play. For instance. creative thinking begins with IDEAS, these ideas vary from solutions to `persisting problems concerning the environment, human and life etc, and it can also be an innovation to transform life in many ways.Therefore, PROJECT gives birth to the remaining 3Ps in succession. Without the conception of brilliant ideas which becomes projects, its sometimes difficult to develop the passion for that thing and even involve peers and then have fun with it.

Oh dear, do I have to pick one? I try to make sure they’re all there in my teaching, but I guess the one that is most constrained in my environment is ‘Projects’ because of the need to follow a narrow curriculum, and this of course impacts on ‘Passion’.

PEERS. The collaboration aspect, online or in presence will always seems to be a challenge, and when it happens, always brings a good reward feeling.

After some thought, I do believe that we are missing an important P: perseverance. The comfort with failure is an attitude that must be adopted simultaneously with passion, peers, projects and play. Particularly with projects that require that you stick through trial and error to achieve some kind of result.

I am more interested in passion and play. I think passion is the fuel to reach goals, to complete tasks even if they are hard and seem unachievable, whereas, play is what sparks that fuel. I have a k-1 daughter who is so disappointed with her first grade experience. She keeps on saying that all the excitement she had to move on to first grade is vanished and that she wants to go back to kindergarten. She says that they don´t have time to do the things she loves to do! And guess what that is….play!. My daughter’s evaluation of her k-1 experience is a vivid example that the ideas in this course are so true and so powerful and made me want to join the LLC invitation to spread their approach.

Good point @gaspart !

I’ve noticed such thing: While children easily starts to cooperate, adults sometimes have problems with that.

For me, it is ‘create’. In my current Grade 5 class, the students are still hung up on right and wrong. Also, their answers seem to be what they think the teacher wants to hear. To me ‘Create’ could be a way for them to engage with their passions/learning for themselves and not for others. The springboard that could lead to self-reflection, empowerment and improvement.

If I had to pick one it would be Peers and its really interesting that this seems to be the least popular! I think all research about and most design for learning currently situates the process as too individualistic and doesn’t look at issues such as, how children perceive themselves to be learning is relative to how they perceive the learning of those around them, something that has been central to some of my research on perspective development in learning. Plus play, passion and projects are all enhanced when experienced and shared with peers!

Depressing that the 4 Ps echo the 5 Ps of marketing (product, price, placement, promotion and people) but I guess that is what education has become; marketing students as commodities, moving away from the factory based rust belt production line to a more ‘flexible’ educational product designed for the zero hours contract, gig economy or portfolio, project workers. If we must use the click bait format then maybe it should be: Proposal, because that suggests some sort of consensus decision making. Politics, because that should be about ethics and making things better for all. People, not just peers so we don’t become isolated in our own little bubble worlds. Play, which I agree is fundamental and Planet because that’s all we’ve got and that is the most important P of all.

As an English teacher, I am interested in all of the 4P’s but most interested in this moment in PROJECTS. How do I shift the culture of English class from just reading literature and writing academic analytical papers to projects that engage students in the acts of reading and writing?

Not sure how I could possible separate these P’s. As I watch my students Play with Peers, they ignite Passion in others, and Projects evolve organically. I am all about setting up the environment with a few clear parameters and then delighting in the magic.

[http://cohen.nnms.org](Afterschool Magic)

Play has to come first in life. all the rest follows on from there. But we must remember that ‘play’ for a child is often very serious and is spoiled by unobservant adults who don’t realise just quite how serious it is! Children should always be given some time to finish what they are doing.