LCL

[Week 1 Reflection] Pick a P!

I am most curious about Play. Kids play with peers, ant put all their passion in the activity.
I am convenced that people learn playing, and this is the most important issue in education. If we could make that schools give more and more protagonism to “play”, kids would be more creative, more curious and more happy.

Anything is easy if you can assimilate it to your collection of
models. If you can’t, anything can be painfully
difficult. - I really love this quote. It makes me reflect how through the game we learnt better…without noticing how much we are learning…and when we it turns difficult we almost give up at trying, but still we learnt something…If I have to decide for a P… I will choose Peer…I really would like to know why have they stop playing…why is it too difficult for many of them to have fun and break the routine or be afraid of not covering the program…do we need to change until they system allow it? But I am also curious about the other P´s…I love running proyects and I think I have a lot of passion for learning more and more about everything… I love the idea of continue learning as kindergarden no matter the age or what others say…

The same happen to me. It´s becoming more difficult for kids to work and collaborate each other on something…

I agree with most of my classmates, and I tell them why I choose the Play P.
Playing is where I am in my best element to learn and to teach. As an educator I have spent a lot of time observing, analyzing, implementing and evaluating this action, which implies a process where all the skills and abilities that I try to develop in preschool children are combined, but which has served me as a mediator in the activities of teacher training that I carry out with teachers who attend the workshops that I organize together with a team of teachers from different levels of education to encourage them to use their creativity, imagination with everything around them, including technological tools.

When a group stimulates the game, whatever it is, we can create a learning environment conducive to the objectives to be pursued. The game allows you to socialize, discover new ways to solve a problem, do not put limits to the imagination, those who participate feel more relaxed and therefore content, I have discovered above all in adults who are given permission to act differently. When it is played, it is easier to discover the personality of the participants, their inhibitions or their brakes and in that way to find the way to resolve in group, supported one another in a propositional way.

Playing with children opens up all sorts of possibilities, even gaining my confidence, because I have had a series of anecdotes where they tell me something, that they would never have said in another situation. With adults, it is curious how they can achieve a performance if the environment of freedom allows it.

Here is an example.
They were presented with a topic at a conference, with elements relevant to the educational process. And they put a ludic activity to solve. The subject to deal with teachers was: How do you imagine the school of 2050? What characteristics should it have? What changes will the role of the teacher and student undergo? Use your imagination and team must represent.

They were given diverse materials and were asked to present their ideas in a group, then try to make a performance regarding the result of what they worked. The time to submit their project was no more than 10 minutes per team, the results in most cases were creative, brilliantly dyed, used objects that sought outside the room where they worked, very few groups were limited, the representations were mostly funny, but they showed that they approached the subject with professionalism and knowledge of cause.

The game allowed them to create in freedom, at the end of the activities everyone evaluated how positive their participation and that they would try to carry it out in their own classrooms, with the subjects that were proposed in class.

The 4 Ps are put together in activities like this:

Play- Playing, making a
Project shared with
Peers - Partners and always putting the
Passion- Passion in what is done.

I agree with you!!!
Passion is the key for all P and every actions in our life!

I think that every P is important but, if I have to choose, I say Passion!
Passion is the key to open all the doors and all the hearts!
You can create a Project, you can Play and you can collaborate with Peers if you are an appassionate teacher!
And I teach with Passion every day!!!

I am very much interested in both Passion and Play!

Passion because I see it as the fuel that would allow learners to propel themselves to wherever they want to take themselves. I want to understand how to empower students and to explore the ways for bringing out these passions. From my experience, asking a learner what his passion is might do more harm.

I remember asking a college student of mine what she likes doing and what her passions are. She did not know and felt embarrassed for being someone with no direction. I had a similar experience teaching a 7-year old when I ask him what he wanted to make in our toy-making workshop – he was very aloof and did not want to share his inner thoughts.

Reflecting on it now, I believe that it may have been a matter of trust in the case of the 7-year old. Maybe the learner wasn’t ready to open up yet because it was only his second day. Maybe he didn’t find me trustworthy or that he may have had experiences trusting others and breaking his trust. (Trust vs. mistrust?)

I believe that Play can play the role of a catalyst in most situations to find out what their Passions are. And so, I am interested in the different forms of play. Should play be structured or in doing so invalidates play? Should play have limits? Should it be supervised? Is guided play similar to structured play? I really want to know the answers to these questions.

Being exposed to a community of passionate people has made me feel hopeful that I can get my answers soon. I am looking forward to the next few weeks of this course. :slight_smile:

Peers, as connecting to each other, collaborating, sharing and building on each other’s work is such a crucial part of young children’s development.

Here is my point of view.
On the top is a PASSION. Teaching or working should be a passion. Otherwise, it is hard to teach/work and children/pupils/people around us feel this.
On the second place is a PEER. I can not imagine work without peer to talk, to create new ideas, to give or accept critic, to have fun…
On the third place is a PLAY. I don’t like playing alone so it should be a social event.

If you have a passion, if you have a peer and if you want to be involved in the social play, that means that you are prepared to be a member of the PROJECT team.

Best regards, Lenka

I love play because it is something that brings everything else together. Personally, play is where my best ideas come from and it is how I learn when there is an unknown outcome. One thing that has really impacted my teaching using projects has been to pull in drama narrative to add to the sense of play as part of the project. It seems to bring in more group motivation.

First off, “Projects” is my number one curiosity at this point in the process. I hope to think up countless project ideas for my students in as many subjects as I can. I’m not sure how to make each one personal and connected to an individual’s passion, but I only have 20 kids, so let’s give it a try!

Para mi lo más interesante es el juego.
Según mi experiencia, cualquier alumno llegará mucho más lejos si es a través del juego, utilizando cuentos que recreen historias y aprendiendo canciones que simplemente aprendiendo la teoría que es mucho más tediosa para ellos a priori.
El uso de la gamificación en cualquiera de las áreas, para mi y por lo comprobado con mis alumnos, harán que lleguen mucho más lejos en conocimientos de lo esperado.

I feel passion is the key to learning. If a person has a passion to learn it will give them the energy to get through the harder things in life. I would love to help students find the passion to discover and learn. It is the energy that propels us forward.

The P I pick is project. The elementary division of our school adopted project-based learning several years ago. I think by giving students a voice in choosing a topic and choice in picking a project encourages passion and play. If a student is truly interested and feels vested in their project, then passion and play (or enjoyment in learning) result. Students can choose to work individually or in a group, but also seek out “experts”, so peers come into the process as well.

For me, it’s Peers - I am very extroverted and social and connecting with people drives me. I’m more motivated to make things (crafting, quilting, cooking, paper arts, etc.) when I am making a gift for someone. I have always liked the good, bad, and ugly of group work. As an educator, encouraging students to make meaningful connections with their peers and their community is important to me. I work in out-of-school-time science and technology education, and am super passionate about equity in STEM both for young women and minorities, I find that a strong peer network helps people who don’t otherwise consider themselves science/tech/math savvy to start exploring and playing in that space. It’s wonderful!

I pick Passion and Play

¡Hola! Las 4P son más que interesantes y útiles, pero a título personal me interesa mucho “jugar” (PLAY), ya que esa característica muy evidente en la primera infancia, se va perdiendo conforme los estudiantes van avanzando en los diferentes niveles del sistema educativo… Y en el sistema educativo de El Salvador, es necesario que volvamos a aprender-jugando… Empezando por los docentes…

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now, I keep going back to PLAY. It drives the positive energy you need to be passionate about your projects and collaborating with your peers.

All four of them! I totaly agree with so many others in this forum.

• Projects are exciting to learn (I use PBL in my courses),

• Passion is THE ingredient in everything to succeed,

• Play is the fun in the story and

• Peers finally as learning is a social process!

Let’s go for them then and see what you suggest…

I’m excited that peers, because it feels the most foreign to me. I have always been a very solo learner, and I would like to expand that in myself and my students.