LCL

[Week 1 Activity] Childhood objects

When I was 6 years old, I got measles.
At that time, I just started primary school an I felt very bad on it: I didn’t understand, wasn’t interested in anything. I had no friends, I was lost and my performances in maths and language were really bad. I got the idea that I was unable and, sadly, my teachers too.
But, ill for some days, I was alone during the day, in my bed. It was annoying. So I took a book.
pattini d'argento
At the beginning I was slow, but by the end of the day I finished the book.
That day I learned many things that influenced me:
I knew I was _able _ , I changed idea and this has been helpful because my teachers didn’t, for many years…
After a primary school with a very bad performance, I decided to study foreign languages when nobody thought I could. But I really loved it, and everything, obviously, changed.
This book has been so meaningful to me: it reminds me why it is important to me being helpful with kids in trouble, which has been, as educator, my vocation in the end.

i would choose soccer ball. Just love football so much then.

My childhood object consisted of Polly Pockets. I loved putting together villages by arranging the different sets together, deciding which types of Polly Pockets would fit best next to each other. I enjoyed the diversity of the sets that ranged from fashion shows to ice skating rinks to under the sea sets! My friends and I would get together and would create scenes where our dolls would talk with one another and develop friendships. We had a wonderful time!pockets

My favorite toy as a child was the American Girl doll named Samantha. I vividly remember opening up presents on Christmas morning and there was Samantha in the box. I played with her for hours, taking her on all sorts of adventures. We escaped from bad guys, we traveled to far away places, we did practically everything together. She was special to me because she allowed me to use my imagination. She allowed me to go anywhere and do anything and she was always there to join in on the adventure. I am saving her to give to my daughter someday and I hope she loves her as much as I do.

My childhood object would be Barbie dolls!

My sister and I would spend hours in our own worlds - creating all sorts of scenarios and conversations. Each time we play, a different story unfolds. Sometimes, it could be a totally new episode, other times, it could be a continuous episode of the previous play. Some weekends, our cousins would bring their Barbie dolls and accessories along to play with us too.
I’d like to think this helped me develop my imagination and social skills.02841aed9734059a553bb90136a3163d

When I was growing up my favorite childhood objects were stuffed animals. I can remember setting a number of them up and pretending to be their teacher. I had a white board that I would write things on and act as if the stuffed animals were my students. When I would do this, I was able to be creative in my own way. I could teach my students about anything and, as an introvert, I never had to worry about what real people might hear me say or see me do. I like thinking back to this because as I got older, I started to have numerous ideas about what I could be when I grew up. However, over time I drifted back to wanting to be a teacher and am still pursuing that today. I like how my childhood imagination was actually the genuine start of the passion I would have for teaching.

I would say that my favorite childhood object was the MECCANO kit, which I would use to build various exciting objects and structures.

Back then Meccano’s kits were like a blank sheet of paper, you may use it to create almost anything you can imagine, not like today’s kits where you only have 1 object you can build, and you are done!

Growing up the object that most interested and influenced me throughout many ages of my childhood were dolls! Dolls are so versatile! During my younger childhood, kindergarten through third grade, I loved Barbie dolls and baby dolls. With baby dolls, I could act grown up and responsible. I could create different scenarios to act out with my friends and siblings, all of which required me to take care of my “children” and “home”. With Barbie dolls, I could enter a fantasy land! Dreams of splashing into pools and eating ice cream all night with my friends almost seemed real. But dolls developed more than just fantasy dreams, Barbie dolls and baby dolls led me to develop an imagination and social skills! Dolls also helped me to be confident in my thinking and ideas because I developed a sense of how the world worked. Throughout school, I may not have known why everything was the way it was, but I knew I lived in a world that allowed me to figure it out if I really pursued the opportunity.

w480

I have two different object.
The first one is a simplifyed piano for children that gave me the opportunity to study how to repruduct melodyes that i have hearded.
The second one is a magnetic drawing board that i have “destoryed” to understand how it can works and then understand and do my first hypotesis about magnetism and gravity.

An object of my childhood is Bop It from the 90s. It was interesting to me because you had to get or beat the highest score of those who was playing it. You had to bop it, twist it, pull it, flick it and spin it on the objects on the game. It affected the way I think and learn by having me to be able to concentrate and it helped with my listening skills. This toy was very enjoyable to play against others or by yourself. I have a toy now that is like the bop it today and I still enjoy trying to make the highest score when playing against my nieces and nephews.

It’s hard to say which was the object of my childhood. I have the impression I can trace back many of the objects that created models from which I was able to understand the world around me at the time and today.

I think the three objects I find particularly important for who I am right now were paper clips, rubber bands and metal bottle lids.

The two first were the first construction set I tried to replicate the parts of the world I couldn’t understand. Motors, traps, contraptions, musical instruments, I’ve learn how many “magical” things work through trying to replicate them with paper clips and rubber bands.

The third one is the metal bottle lids. When I was at the country side, missing my super nintendo, some local kids taught me this race game they had with bottle lids. With their tools, they made an awesome track that involved ramps through “lakes”, “mountains”, “volcanos”, and you probably can imagine it goes pretty far. Then you had 3 flicks per turn and it could be an “first arrives win” or “last man racing” game. That was an amazing game that I didn’t stop playing for years. When I came back to school the tracks became chalk on the floor. At home I had buttons and coins. Wherever I would go I could think of a track. I think this spilled on everything else in my life. Wherever I look I try to see an exciting way to get through.

bicicleta
Cuando tenía 4 años mis papas me regalaron una bicicleta con la que fui muy feliz paseando por mi barrio y un lindo humedal que podía explorar con ella.

My top childhood object is definitely a gigantic box of random LEGO bricks that were collected together from many different themes of LEGO sets (after the freshness of the theme is gone, kids usually just disassemble them into their most basic form ), of which I owned only a little bit so I would go to a relative’s house and play all day long with peers without even wanting to eat anything.

I would use them to build literally everything, from towns to airplanes or even big monsters and robots (in the old days those were without electronic controller!). It’s amazing to look back and see that those little abstract ideas in my mind was becoming more and more concrete as I was pulling together LEGO bricks and tinkering around the objects to find the most satisfying design to suit my purpose in the play.

Building things from scratch is a highly satisfying activity. But for me, the most memorable part of playing LEGO bricks isn’t the building phase, but the more social and story telling phase. After building up all the objects and scene of a play, we would start acting those LEGO men and women, talking with each other, doing business with each other, or waging wars with each other. There was no rules I needed to obey or knowledge I had to learn. LEGO bricks just glued each of us together by allowing us to be us, by letting us freely express our inner worlds.

LEGO bricks, from this perspective, are just like a set of creative media that interfaces between my peers and me, just like natural language is.

It may be the lamest thing on this thread, but it was a pot. Not exactly one special pot but the idea that it’s an utensil which you put various stuff and Puff! comes out delicious warm meal to share with your loved ones. I’ve spent most of my childhood either sitting on the shoulder of my nanny watching her cook or on the counter, making myself useful like adding salt. The idea that adding many ingredients which didn’t make sense or taste good alone but a combination of them being heart-warming and delightful is still a fundamental part of my life.Cooking Tips In A Pot

Spirograph!!! I think it is the most interesting and unforgettable material in my childhood. When I saw it the first time, it is like magic. It turned on my passion for the drawing. I really want to know the principle of how spirograph works, and how it can create a flower shape once it done.

I really love this topic! This topic refreshes my memory.
My childhood object is the tape recorder. Tape recorder becomes my bedtime story, I like to record from TV, from what my parents said, from nature and from some interesting sound. At night time, I’d like to listen to those sound and imagine the picture in my head. I also can create my own story by those sound and share with my parents. It increases my imagination skill.

After I playing tape recorder for few years, I know another equipment called “V8” the video recorder. It makes me fall in love with image recording, and it also has the sound on it. I think my dad influenced me a lot because he loves taking pictures when we go family trip. It makes me like to record everything that I think it is important.

When I grow up, I look back to those photos and videos, I think it is the treasure for me. “Recording” becomes so important in my life, because I always can review it and refresh my memory.

My object would be a box. I always would have bouts of inspiration where I would want to make “a project.” I wouldn’t really know exactly what I wanted to make and it didn’t matter to me. I would just want scrap things whatever I could find and colors and try to create something. In particular, everytime we would be at my grandmother’s house, which lacked interent, computer, etc. I would always look for materials to build a project. I would ask her if she had any boxes, paper and colors. She would ask why and I would respond, “to make projects” she would laugh and then help me rummage through her basement for anything we could find.

Growing up on a farm left little time for traditional toys. Most of my memories include nature or some kind of animal. What I do remember, however, is my Suzy doll. I carried that thing everywhere! It helped me through some hospital visits in my youth and inspired me to become a teacher. I was so used to taking care of my doll and pretending to “teach” her that it easily translated into a career path for me!

https://themeaningofmerakicom.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/childhood-objects/

One object that had a profound impact on my childhood was a basketball. The ball became a steady companion during the many projects that evolved around his presence. Becoming a member of a team, playing against others in open courts, and discovering the ever changing nature of the game, resulted in a lots of projects around the sport I co-initiated. More than the passion for the game, the ball facilitated social learning experiences through which I became a member of community that shared the same passion. As no situation on the court or in the group of teammates equaled another but always new movements and plays evolved, I always felt about the sport as an experiential journal of possibilities. The ball was definitely a pathway to creativity and resulted in high engagement with a learning community.