LCL

[Week 1 Activity] Childhood objects

I did tons of jigsaw puzzles as a child (still do), but they were always framed out. I did many of them with my grandfather, and he was adamant that the frame be done first, so that’s how I’ve always done it. Through the years though, I have also developed the ability to find the exact right piece for the exact location and it boggles my mother and grandmother.

wow, that’s so cool. I will try it out! They look a bit similar to Ninja Shuriken my kids used to make. You could probably try those with similar origami blocks.

I remember from my childhood going to my grandmother’s house and there was a pink inked pen and she had an old box in the cupboard full of Spirograph. I loved spending hours making colours, with different pens, the possibilities of changing how my image looked, the way it was so even, that appealed to me. I didn’t have one at home, it was something special I did there. I recently bought one for my son, and have within the last few years found some at a local second hand store. I was happy to have found them! How did that effect the way I think and learn now? I see itas a language, a way of being with those spheres and shapes, you get to know the shapes and then you can create with them. So this is how I think now, that materials have properties and we come to know them and then we can create with them.

I think my most influential childhood object was a pencil. I loved to create. As an adult, I still love to create. It started with creating drawings, often spending indoor recess in a “drawing club” my friends and I had made up. It started with drawing our favorite animals and Disney princess. As I got older, I realized not only could my pencil help me express myself through drawing, but also through words. I fell in love with words. I worked hard to constantly develop nice handwriting. I loved to come up with the funny sentences to go with my spelling words, and later writing funny stories given a writing prompt. I began to keep a journal when I was 9, and at first it seemed silly to put what I was thinking down on paper when I never really held an important thought for very long. Later, though, I realized that writing out my thoughts became very therapeutic and coupled with pictures I could create a very powerful message. Being a kindergarten teacher, I use my visual drawings and demonstrate how to write daily and I feel like my love for the pencil has helped me to become successful in making little story tellers and story comprehenders as I pass my love of writing and illustrating on to them.

Following are the activities that I cherished as a kid 30 year back, and even now bring back fond memories of childhood…

1. Grew up in India when I didn’t have access to fancy blocks or toys. Got a gift from a relative abroad, which was a building bricks box with about 30 bricks maybe. I would build the same house everyday with it, hoping every time to build a second bedroom, failing consistently. Then I would shift the pieces around or make the other rooms smaller or keep thinking hard on how I can make it happen, when suddenly one day I successfully made a really small second bedroom. And that feeling of accomplishment was priceless! I don’t know how to express what I learnt but I am sure a part of my character must have definitely been inspired by that activity!
  2. Loved playing mommy who took her kids (pillows haha) on a train on a really long trip for as long as I could!! Was shy about playing the game when someone was home though! Any opportunity when i was alone, I would have these comfy pillows by my side and played this endlessly !
  3. Loved story time sessions with my older cousin who came up with stories that had vegetable and fruit characters that walked and talked like regular people! Yes, my cousin was creative and I still have images of those scenes that I imagined when she came up with the stories from her creative mind!

Wow, so many of your posts brought back memories of my own. Marbles, Spirograph, cardboard boxes, cassette players - I loved them all too! One big one was getting my first computer - an Amstrad CPC 464 and copying out bits of code that I could find to make it ask my name or say something or other. I never got much further than copying out the code from something else as it just took so long to have to start again when you made a mistake. But oh boy the satisfaction when it worked! I remember going to stores like John Lewis with my parents where they would have all their computers on display and I would walk over and put in some code that would run and say something like “You are cool!” I thought that was awesome :slight_smile:

STICK.

Any stick will do. As a child, simple found branches and twigs became animated by my imagination. Some I shaped or combined to form more complex objects – carved into a spear, woven into a fence, leaned against a brick wall as a reminder, pushed into sand, drawn in dirt. A stick was dangerous, primitive, natural, accessible, and variable.

The movement of a stick, as I progressed as a martial artist, eventually became a way to PLAY with my understanding of gravity, balance, velocity, and of course human motivation and fighting strategy. I have studied the use of short sticks, medium sticks, fist-stick, escrima stick, panther stick, and longstaff. I have wielded sticks made from white oak, red oak, rattan, pine, ironwood, bamboo, PVC pipe, impact-resistant plastic, waxwood. I teach with sticks that simulate knives and swords or punches, kicks, and wrists.

I ask beginning martial artists to contemplate the way a stick wants to move, as it pauses or arcs through the air.

In the hands of an experience martial artists, the stick is an extension of the self, yet has a mind of its own.

I had a plastic toy clown which moves its legs and hands, and eyes up and down and plays a melody when I pull the string down.

OCEAN LIFE :fish::tropical_fish:

It is hard to think of an object that had as much of an impact on me, conceptually, as the gear did for Seymour Papert.

However, like @Grazia_Paladino, I was affected at an early age by a small children’s encyclopedia that my uncle gave. It was titled something like "The Great Big Book of The World", and it had a lovely page with illustrations of whales, dolphins, sharks, and all sorts of sea life in general.

The vibrancy, color, and diversity of sea life illustrated on that page led me to harbor a lifelong fascination and respect for sea life. When I was 18, the respect I had for sea life turned into a general empathy for all animal life, and I decided to become a vegetarian.

In retrospect, it’s astonishing to think encountering that one beautifully-illustrated page has had macro-scale effects throughout my life. :dolphin:

Hey everyone! Please meet the crane. I’ve just made him, but the more important is the thing he is sitting on. That’s my very first (there were more in time) origami book. To be more specific this book is four years younger than me and formerly belonged to my older sister. I don’t remember many figures at the moment but when receiving some leaflet on the street I’m still able to make a crane with my eyes closed.

My childhood object was the forest. As a small child always loved to go to forest and I still do. I didn’t need anything more: just my imagination and the forest.

forest-657902_640

https://pixabay.com/fi/metsä-valo-mieliala-valonsäde-657902/ CC0

I have read many of your entries. i am amazed by the variety and happy that someone wrote about being outdoors as a beloved design activity. If I wanted to pick a particular object that most fascinated me, it wasn’t my brother’s toys, Lincoln logs, trains but my pair of skis. i loved the way they were carved, how my bindings worked, and the way they slipped over the snow, how the snow sometimes dusted the tops, or created little waves as I plowed through powder with my expert snow plow turn. I loved the way I could suddenly stop, or make the ski slide so smoothly. I also remember hating all the awkward clothes I had to wear back then in the early days of skiing.

Now I can say that FORTUNATELY I loved to play with a toys that in the 70’s were considered “boys toys” My favourite game was a LEGO Castle. I was the only girl plaing with my boy friends. Also I loved MECCANO (you can see in the picture the gendre sentence!)
I’m sure that these toys and gave me the opportunity to develop:
Spatial vision
Problem solving
Creativity
Connection amoung parts
Scientific method (observation/ project, hypotesis, experimentaion, conclusion/ adjustement and new hypotesis)

Now I’m Biologist researcher at university and Math and Science teacher at school (11-13 year old).
My students use Lego and meccano too in my lessons.

`

The hacky sack which which evolved into the sepa sepa sack brought the kids on the playground together. It was a poetry jam played with the feet instead of the tongue.

Meu objeto de infância era a Ursinha Peposa. Adorava está ursinha. A ursinha Peposa tinha a Família Feliz, era meu sonho ter uma família. A família Peposa teve influencia, no jeito familiar de agir, como ser super protetora, saber de tudo, muito responsável e agir como uma super mãe.

img

The are three things was in my childhood:
Chess with my father

Gaming and programming

Street racing

And I still remember. One more thing was - I loved mathematics but can’t get high score in it at school.

Da piccolina ho avuto un gioco fantastico:i chiodini! furono il regalo per la mia promozione in seconda w c’ho giocato per tutta la mia infanzia.
Un altro gioco è sttao per me molto importante i mattoncini lego

Thinking back, I always enjoyed many crafts too…weaving…gymp… Nana taught me to crochet, Mom too knit, we had sewing in school we made book bags and then pot holders. In middle school, we had cooking, sewing, wood working shop, metal and leather tooling, photography and printing. All challenging, all fun…something that many schools are missing now. Many of these workshops exposed students to life skills that I find that I am still using today.

Amazing!

Mi objeto de infancia que más ha marcado mi proceso de aprendizaje han sido los libros. Desde pequeña siempre me interesé en ellos y en todo lo que conllevaban. Tenía en mi casa una máquina de escribir en donde inventaba mis propias historias y muchos lápices y marcadores con los cuales las adornaba.
La primera vez que leí y comprendí un libro fue mágico para mi, porque en un principio creía que todas las historias que leía eran reales, que pasaban en la vida real (aunque fueran de animales que hablaban, viajes al espacio y todo eso), entonces lo mágico fue saber que no existían PERO alguien las había creado, las había imaginado y las plasmaba como si fueran realidad. Eso fue lo que más me impresionó. Al hacer este ejercicio recordé los primeros libros que leí en el colegio, los que fueron: El mono imitamonos, el oso que no lo era, mac el microbio desconocido, Bibiana y su mundo, la cazadora de indiana jones, asesinato en el canadian express, aventura en las estrellas, 13 casos misteriosos, Harry Potter y luego, bueno, no pude parar.