LCL

[Week 1 Activity] Childhood objects

Um objeto de infância que eu gostaria de compartilhar e que me influenciou bastante é meu primeiro vídeo game. Foi um Master System III. Na época que ganhei eu tinha uns 6/7 anos e foi um objeto que marcou minha infância e marca até hoje a minha vida… pois gosto muito do universo dos games.

My childhood object was a father’s sewing machine. I like to test different manners of operation and sewing clothes for my toys and later also simple clothes for myself. Today I’m still testing new concepts, ideas and tackle different challenges.

slika

Source:https://www.google.si/search?q=šivalni+stroj&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS1_DP0qrXAhWBCBoKHaPaBG4Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=668#imgrc=5lc7JGMR66JUwM:

The Spirograph was also a favorite of mine! Part of my love for the Spirograph is its root in the circle. I love circles, patterns in circles and circles in motion, like bicycle wheels.

At least once, my hypnotic love of circles in motion led to my temporary demise.When I was a toddler, my parents were heading out for a bike ride. My “spot” on my father’s bike was sitting on the bar that connects the front and rear of the bike, holding onto the handlebars. (As a mother, my recollection of this story is making me nervous…) We pedaled through the neighborhood, and I swung my foot in and out of the spokes of the front wheel watching the spokes and the rotation of the wheel. My father told me to stop, but I just couldn’t, and as he pedaled faster, my window of safety became smaller and smaller until my foot became caught in the wheel and I ended our ride with a trip to the emergency room.

I also love dancing…I used to do folkclor to…

Since I remember I always loved LEGO. I particulary remember a little space kit I had, like the one showed in the image. Is not exactly the same kit but it looks alike. What I loved about LEGO was to follow the instructions to build the space shuttle and to compare it with the image in the box. I also liked to experiment with new forms, but I prefered to construct the same model over and over, I don’t know why. In someway I think playing with LEGO was a big part of my formation to later become an Engineer, but I also loved the instructions manual so maybe from there I developed some passion for art and design. I always tried to think like the person that designed the kit and wondered how do someone design things.

Las piedras
Uno de los objetos con el que me gustaba jugar, lestas tnian que ser de pequeñas aplanadas y con bordes circulares de tamaños parecidos que permita apilar.
Encontrarlas y seleccionarlas era parte del juego, la forma de las mismas debian permitir ser apiladas o te permtan construir algun muro minusculo, que servia para delimitar y armas casa con patios amplios, puentes y todo lo se nos ocuria.
Cada piedra era una pieza que forma parte de una estructura, que cobraba forma a partir del ingenio, y estas estructuras formadas daban luagar a mas juegos.
Las piedras permiten identificar los elemntos de un todo y cuan importante era se podia disponer a fin de elevar pequeños muros y a su vez que sirva de sosten para otras piedras que se superponian en la contrucción.Piedras

The stones

One of the objects that I liked to play with were the stones, which had to be small of similar sizes, some flat and with circular edges.

Finding and selecting them was part of the game, their particular shape should allow them to be piled up to build walls of a house with large courtyards, build bridges and everything imagined that could be built.

Each stone was an important piece that gained meaning from the ingenuity, and these structures gave rise to more games.

The stones allow us to identify elements of a whole and the importance of their shape to build walls and at the same time serve as a support for other stones that so superimposed in the construction.Piedras

Pensando em movimento corporal, o que mais gostava de brincar quando criança era pular elástico e quando não era possível brincar com os amigos, colocava nos pés das cadeiras, das mesas, da escada, o que fosse possível prender o elástico sem correr o risco do objeto cair em cima de mim. Também gostava muito de jogar vídeo game e até hoje prefiro os jogos de aventura!

Running with my red rally bicycle, playing with mini metal trains… and I also remember myself spending hours building simple vertical mazes with metal angle bracket to roll marbles across them.

Seeing this post about encyclopedias reminded me of this wonderful vignette from Richard Feynman about translating the things he and his father would read in the encyclopedia into real concrete things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1TiXLGqlM4

One childhood object that I relished was a set of architectural blocks, with a few more pieces than the one shown in the set. The feel of the wood pieces was gratifying; the curvatures, angles and points and how they connected and morphed to create new lines and angles; the colors and texture of the paint on the wood; and of course the variations of objects that could be built, compounded with the challenge of what cannot be put together made for hours of enjoyment. I loved pushing the limits of balance and form, to create beautiful things when I’m in quiet mode. Once built, castles, houses, huts, cities made for another set of storytelling possibilities. Then, there’s knowing that these blocks were not just for building, but can also make noise, be rolled and tossed, can cause destruction. That was equally fascinating and gratifying in a whole new different way.

Hi! Cardboard boxes were my passion when I was a child. My mother used to buy cookies that came in boxes that were the perfect size for creating all the furniture for my dolls, I made everything I needed, tables, sofas, closet, stove, even cars. I send hours creating those things y sewing the pillows, or painting and sticking things to make them perfect. Unfortunately I don´t have any picture of my creations but I found this one of one of those boxes on the web. There was nothing that I needed to play that I couldn´t create whit those cardboxes.

The great “object” of my childhood was the Scout Movement. As a Scout Boy I used to go camping and learn a lot of things, like knots, first aid and we had a lot of fun playing outside.
The whole enviroment of brotherhood was great for me.

This childhood object grew with me well into my teens—a tape recorder. Nothing matched its purely immediate creative storytelling and songwriting potential. I started with recording radio shows with my brother and cousin, moving into creating mixtapes from the radio for myself and my friends in my teens. Eventually, I even used it to record song demos on my guitar.
In a lot of ways, it was a precursor to how I create content with my laptop.

Radio played a large part of my childhood, as well! It’s nice to see how the internet has expanded on the audience building and communal nature of indie and alternative rock radio.

I wholeheartedly agree–tape recorders expanded the colors in my storytelling crayonbox as a kid.

I also come to this forum to tell about m y Commodore 64. In fact I felt a little un-human not being able to recall a more romantic childhood object than an “home computer” as it was called. I was using it mostly to play games but i also had a book for kids to learn Basic and I was going through those projects, by envisioning myself as a developer in the future, and here i am, a developer, 35 years later. The Commodore 64 was a Xmas gift I did not wish to recieve, but my father always liked technology ans so he (through Santa Claus) purchased it. A memory about the programming experience in Basic at 5 years old is me thing “this is too complex, i am not going to create something original as a videogame”. Scratch was not there at that time and Basic was not for sure designed for a 5 years old kid.

After thinking a little about my childhood objects (The Nintendo GameBoy was the first to come to my mind), I decided to share my Tamiya’s Mini4WD cars as an example of transitional object.
I loved to play with these cars! I used them mostly between 8 and 12 years old, taking part to tournaments with my friends and our dads.
Obviously I learnt a lot of stuff playing with the Mini4WD: how to wield a screwdriver, how to fix bolts and nuts, how DC motors worked, I learnt to think about the car movement dynamics and to imagine how a slight alteration of the car configuration could cause a sensible change in their performance on the racetrack. But maybe the most important thing I learnt was to endure the pressure of the tournament while creatively thinking about solutions to improve my car’s performance :slight_smile:

It took me some time to decide on which object I would share here … in the end, I decided for Matador, wooden bricks that allowed to build whatever a kid could imagine (in my mind).

I really loved the Matador bricks, although my little brother got them first for Christmas, it was mainly me playing with them. I could build all the day bridges, houses, animals, buildings, and everything I thought up.

Matador consisted of bricks in different sizes, shapes and colours, and came with woodsticks to connect them. They almost allowed unlimited creativity. As being wooden bricks, the buildings got quite heavy and often broke or fell down. This way I learned a lot about statics, repairing my broken constructions and building more stable things :slight_smile:

Thinking about it, the most important things I learnt with Matador was perseverance … through failing, broken constructions, I learned that reusing the broken construction and improving step by step different things, I could achieve more stable buildings!

My very special childhood object was a tool that helps you draw spirals in many different ways. I would end up making wonderful pictures with geometrical shapes and using different colors so that I collected masterpieces!!! I was soooooo happy when my dad got me that tool (I don’t even know the name in English).
The funny thing that just happened a couple of days ago is that I was talking to a friend of mine about this object and telling her I don’t have that tool anymore. Well, she got me one, wrapped it as a present and gave it to me: you can figure out how happy I was…
Take a look at what I made right away (I’m a neverending child!!!)
spirals
Federica (Italy)