LCL

Relation between Reggio and LCL

Hi all! I think is really hard to get a group peer passion in a classroom with little people with different passions and interest. How can I develop and get to know their passion as a group and direction this into a peer group project in a Reggio environment?

Can you give me your thoughts about this, so I can have an idea on how to start this approach or way of learning in a simpler way for me, inside my classroom. Taking into account I have to provoque, intent, share and guide the development of a peer group project.

Thank you!

I don’t know what Reggio is, but I do know that ‘samesies’ help build attachments… we are drawn to likeness, I’ve seen group building done as a ‘bingo’ game… with different squares as mini-quests to find someone who likes the same thing, eg find someone who likes books in the same genre as you… someone who parts their hair on the same side, someone who has astruggled with the same subject in school…
Is that at all helpful?

Hi Dione!

Thanks for bringing up this question about Reggio Children, I really love their approach and I feel very fortunate to collaborate and learn from them. It’s astonishing how much the Lifelong Kindergarten group and Reggio Children have in common in terms of shared values. Actually, Mitch talks about Reggio in the last chapter of his book. We usually keep it for the last week of LCL but I believe it is worth sharing it in this context!

There are many great books about Reggio, one of my favorites is Making Learning Visible, that includes a lot of wonderful documentation of children learning in groups.

Actually… @jenniferissima is an atelierista working in Reggio Emilia!
Jennifer, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the connections you see between Reggio and LCL, and your suggestions on how to support interest-based group learning with little people! :slight_smile:

Hello all, and thanks for bringing me into this conversation!

I would say first off that Reggio classrooms (with children aged 0-6) are very much child centered, in that it is through careful and in-depth observation of a specific group of children that projects are gradually developed over the school. That means that we do not really know what the projects are until some months have passed! Of course, documentation (both video and written) and conversations with colleagues are key for picking up on things that the children are doing and saying that we adults might miss, especially if we are trying to lead the children, rather than letting them lead us! But basically the themes and projects spring from the interest of that class- and each classi s unique and different. Generally, at least at my school, the teachers are not the ones who decide the topics of the projets, although at a certain point they may make choices about the direction a project can take. There are always multiple possibilities of aspects to deepen and concentrate on.

Getting the whole group involved takes place through both larger class discussions (es. during a circletime/assembly in the morning), as well as through the experiences of small groups, who then share what they did and thought with the larger group afterwards. Asking the children good questions, and offering them back their own words, fostering their ability to explain their thinking, even with young children, is also essential. It is a process that takes time! But that processi s so important- moreso than the final outcome.

Sometimes the children are very clear about what they are interested in or fascinated by, sometimes it takes a lot of careful discussion and observation on the part of the adults to find a red thread… there is really no set recipe! But as adults we need to keep an open mind, and really let the children express themelves and be sensitive to their words, actions and offer them many different contexts and languages (the 100 languages) to explore what they are interested in, and then accompany them, as co-researchers!

I would say that many of these ideas are also fundamental to LCL- allowing the children to find their interests and supporting them in their explorations, offering them a rich array of tools and contexts… but in the end letting them figure things out for themselves! And their strategies and solutions are always fascinating.

Hi! jenniferissima! Thank you so much for that overall of Reggio at school. You really nailed the process with Reggio approach. I’m new at this. I’ve always worked in traditional schools where the teacher leads every step. So I’ m really trying to learn the most and best that I can about it. Right now I ‘m starting with a group of 2 years old :slight_smile:

LCL is basically hand in hand with Reggio. And its really opening up my mind on my own role in class, during the process and everything. If you habe anything else to say. Please!! :slight_smile:

I particularly appreciate “projects are gradually developed . . . That means that we do not really know what the projects are **until some months have passed**!”

…There would be many many many things to say! I suggest you take a look at the book Carmelo mentioned, Making Learning Visible. In the meantime, keep in mind that changing your mind about how you do things as a teacher and approach the children- even (especially?) very young ones- takes time and practice!