LCL

[Reflection 6] I used to think.. but now I think

We are curious to know how your ideas have evolved, based on the activities and discussions in Learning Creative Learning.

One way to reflect on your LCL journey is to fill in this sentence:

• I used to think … , but now I think …

In addition to filliing the blanks, share your reflection:

• What in your journey contributed to the shift in your thinking?
  • How might it influence your work?

This post is also available in Italiano, Português, Español, 日本語 (Japanese), עברית (Hebrew)

listed #2

I used to think that creative, student-directed exploration and active learning were important (and arguably necessary) components of successful learning experiences. Now I know that play, creativity, tinkering, iteration (I could pull from each week :slight_smile: ) are important for successful learning experiences and “children” of all ages.

Professionally, I work with students of all ages - many have children of their own - but I am interpreting this term and applying (with gratitude to the LCL team) the shared ideas to learners of all ages and background. While the application is not a clean 1:1 transition given the many factors at play, I now believe (strongly) that playful tinkering and creative learning experiences should be (and can be) integrated into learning experiences for all educational stages and ages.

Interestingly, I am finding more challenges convincing others that we “can” do so, not that we “should” do so. (I am still trying to decide if I find this surprising, or not.) Finding ways to integrate these types of experiences into our learning environments will require similar types of creative thinking. Thank you all, this has been a wonderful experience.

I like that you now have more refined activities in mind to bring the good learning experiences. Your separation of the issue into “we cannot do this” problem and “we don’t have to do this” was very helpful. The difficulty convincing that we “can” do creative learning is I too have been hearing more and more. I think this is a very useful realization that can be directly applied into the design of professional development programs for a teacher that I work on, and I hope to see good outcomes from it. Thanks for your thoughtful input!

In case you are looking for some food for thoughts, take a look also at the share-outs from the last round :slight_smile: happy reflecting!

Many thanks for the link! I will enjoy reading through everyone’s posts. :slight_smile:

Interesting! I would be curious to hear what types of challenges you and others are encountering with feasibility (i.e., can we actually implement creative learning). What tools would be most useful to you in taking these implementation challenges on? Are there different scales of application that might be more accessible (for example, having a dedicated table for project work in a school library, or organizing a duct tape & cardboard group making activity, vs. structural changes in a school system)?

Before even starting LCL, my kids and I were thinking about offering coding classes in our home as a fun way to earn some summer spending money (with my ulterior motive being my kids would learn more as they taught and helped others). So the ideas of LCL have been very interesting! I used to think that the class would be based around giving instructions on HOW to program or how to use the tools and then supporting the students in trying out what we covered, but now I think we need to only briefly introduce some hows/tools and get them more quickly into projects where thru play and tinkering and asking questions and working together they will discover the hows…

One of the biggest challenges (and the greatest sources of initial resistance/question in terms of feasibility - the “can we do this” part) is the increasingly online nature of much of our courses/coursework. (In many ways, what were intended to be innovative online programs are all starting to look and feel quite similar, with little innovation (and even less play and creativity) other than the online aspect.)

I know this might seem like an odd point to raise given the online nature of this round of LCL as well as the online home of Scratch, but it’s a real challenge for many of my colleagues and our programs.

This is not to say we won’t find ways to overcome this challenge… we will keep trying!

Good luck with the program. It sounds like a fun way to spend the summer!

I used to think that Learning Creative Learning was about being able to do for others and creating great experiences in learning environments that I managed, now I think that these skills can be used for anyone who wants to learn something new, myself included.

Find a thing you are passionate about, talk to a bunch of people about it until you have great ideas for projects you want to do, then build your projects as playfully as you can. Then share them with the people who inspire you.

I think the main insight that has changed my view is how much peers play a roll in learning. If you can use the intelligence of a group you have a huge multiplier on anyone who just tries to do something on their own.

I mentioned that I will be blogging in my project post for this week. I think this would be a great way for me to continue to incorporate philosophies I have learned in this class. It can be found here.

I used to think that creativity was a skill that you either had naturally or struggled to develop. Now, I know that isn’t true. A lot of being creative is the environment that you are surrounded with. Resources, tools, people, and attitude are all big factors in the creative ideas that you can come up with.

I used to think to create a maker space was all about providing a room with tools and teaching with examples so children can make something. Learning Creative Learning helped me realize there is an opportunity to aim for something greater. Now I believe our space could be a node in a creative social network bringing positive change in the world helping children to think and act creatively. I can help develop these abilities by providing a space where children can learn at their own pace, collaborating with peers on projects that build on a passion. I look forward to being more of a mentor and a connector of creative tinkerers who follow their interests so their ideas and voices can flourish.

Learning Creative Learning inspired an overall goal to help children follow a passion that sustains them into adulthood. The benefit would be, children will not have to waste time preoccupied with “finding their passion” as adults often do. Children growing in a creative society will have a passion building in them.

This is more of a response to the LCL course itself rather than the content:

I used to think that MOOCs were ineffective, but now I think that if leveraged properly they can be powerful agents for change, collaboration, and inspiration.

I haven’t had great experiences with massive online open courses in the past. Some were too expensive for the content I was getting, I didn’t agree with the method of grading/analysis on others. I had largely written them off (for now) because I didn’t think they were worth my time.

LCL changed my mind. The content of this course was very thoughtful and high quality, I’m amazed and incredibly thankful that it’s free. I liked that the forums often demanded a higher level of engagement than simply reflecting on a topic (which has its place but gets boring if it’s the only thing you do the entire course). I admired the dedication to an open exchange of ideas.

I’m not sure that this changes my mind about MOOCs that I’ve tried in the past, but it certainly makes me more willing to try courses from MIT’s Lifelong Kindergarten group.

I absolutely love this idea! It blows my mind how much more I learn about a subject when I have to teach it. I think that would be a great opportunity for your kids and if done right, a great service for your community.