LCL

[Reflection 4] Quotes and Questions

@jcfree I agree we should create spaces that bring multiple generations together. We have a repair cafe at our library where people of all ages bring objects that need repair. While different age groups share their knowledge, we’re learning to be more environmentally conscious by keeping products out of the waste stream.

Thanks, Lily. I attended a teacher’s boot camp where there was a minimum of instruction during the introduction and program breaks. We quickly formed teams in a hands-on, peer-to-peer learning format supported by floating mentors. An intense schedule over a short period created a memorable educational experience. It was a kind of “hard fun” I’d like to recreate for children and teens.

Thanks @yumikom. I’m thinking more of spaces where people can interact and play together; so less learning a specific thing, and more rekindling ability to partake in fun activities together. I’m thinking specifically of challenge of taking my young kids to museums and activities are either for them or for me. I’m trying to think of how to create an ageless playful place and just dreaming out loud. Will check out the other open thread too - thanks for sharing!!

Papert in Images of the Learning Society:

> “Translated into practical terms this idea sets a research agenda concerned with creating conditions for children to explore “naturally” domains of knowledge that have previously required didactic teaching; that is, arranging for children to be in contact with the “material” —-physical or abstract—- they can use for Piagetian learning.
> …
> The people knowledge I see as necessary to the design of good Piagetian material is itself complex. It includes the kinds of knowledge that are associated with academic psychology in all its branches —-cognitive, personality, clinical, and so on—- and also the more empathetic kinds possessed by creative artists and by people who “get along with children.”

This resonates with my current situation of (1)translating face-to-face and paper-based therapy into on-demand mental health programs at Insitu Health and (2)piloting a digital arts-based program for young people. In working simultaneously on these projects, I have seen first hand how all these skills are called upon. It makes me feel less alone as a polymath and shows there is a strong connection shared in projects.

“Good teachers and good mentors move fluidly among the roles of catalyst, consultant, connector, and collaborator.”

EN - I like this quote because it describes in what ways I can help students with their projects.
It also made me wonder if I can switch fluidly from one role to another. I’ll try to apply this.

NL - Deze zin spreekt me het meest aan omdat het beschrijft op welke manieren ik als Scratch coach leerlingen kan helpen.
Ik vroeg me af of ik het in me heb: moeiteloos kunnen schakelen tussen die verschillende rollen.
Ik ga het in elk geval proberen toe te passen.

if we think about teaching in the right way. In an online community like Scratch, everyone can become a teacher, serving as a catalyst, consultant,connector, and collaborator for others in the community.

I felt that proper mentorship is important (more than that) as in the actual community.