LCL

[Reflection 4] Quotes and Questions

From this week’s readings or videos, choose one quote that you found especially intriguing and share a question about it.

What did the quote make you wonder about?

Share your quote, and your questions!

A version of this post is also available in Italiano, Português, Español, 日本語 (Japanese), עברית (Hebrew)

unlisted #2

listed #3

"They experience the power and the joy of peer-based learning"
I love the use of the word ‘joy’ alongside learning.
I’m particularly interested and curious about how we can create multi-generational spaces that rekindle - or create for first time - that sense of joy in doing/creating/learning with others’ - especially for people who think their creative years are behind them.

“Throughout history, thinking and learning have too often been framed as activities done by
individuals, on their own.”

I like this quote because it made me question my own beliefs about thinking and learning and how I go about these processes in my daily life. My default is to think and learn alone and I think that’s because during my education I was forced into group work with people who weren’t motivated and didn’t want to do the work, so working with others seemed like such a hassle. Now that I’ve worked on projects with people who share similar interests, I see the benefits but need to work on changing my mindset to do a better job of finding people with similar interests.

Good teachers and good mentors move fluidly among the roles of catalyst, consultant, connector, and collaborator:

I like this quote because it defines clearly the evolving role of educators in modern educational settings. If we have these 4C’s in mind we can approach our students looking for the best ways to assist their ongoing learning.
The quote made me personally wonder about how I can apply this approach across all curriculum areas I am teaching.

“In contrast, Clubhouses place a high priority on bringing together the principles of passion and peers…teams come together informally, coalescing around shared interests and common projects. Teams are dynamic and flexible, evolving to meet the needs of the project and the interests of the participants.”

This quote really painted an ideal image in my head where my students are actively engaged in what they’re doing, bouncing ideas off of one another, and creative juices are flowing. In reality, I’m having a hard time imagining what this may look like in my classroom with minimal guidelines. I like the idea of having students work on something meaningful to them, but I wonder what an effective approach to this is when I’m restricted by curriculum expectations and limited amount of time for each lesson and activity. I often try to give my students choice in their activities but I often give them tasks or ideas to choose from, as I find that without any restrictions, they become overwhelmed and confused by the lack on instruction.

One (of many) sentences that struck me from our Chapter 4 reading is the following:

“At Clubhouses, we try to establish a culture in which members, as they develop new skills, feel a sense of responsibility to share their skills with others.” 

My question is how can we work to instill this same sense of responsibility in learners who have long been “told” (either formally or informally) by teachers, society, etc. that the classroom is not the place for this type of sharing.

Similarly, what helps at the organizational level, in terms of developing and sustaining a school and classroom culture where this same type of responsibility is nurtured, supported, and encouraged?

Thanks!

I agree with a lot of what you shared. I too feel as if choice alone, while a great start, isn’t “enough” to generate the pure and passionate pursuit of interests plus learning wrapped up in a classroom driven by time, curricular and other types of constraints. I’m not sure what the answer is (or even if there is one), but I do relate well to your voiced frustrations. Thank you for sharing.

I like your shared quote a lot. This is the first time I have read about the “4 Cs” framework and it’s one I will continue to think about (and share). I’m curious about the distinction between teachers and mentors. Mainly, is there one (a distinction)?

Julianna, your shared experience highlighted (for me) the incredibly powerful impact that negative experiences with group work can have on students. I’d love to learn more about how we can work to optimize group experiences for students. It seems almost everyone has stories of group projects gone wrong, and that even a single “bad” experience can dominate one’s perceptions of the value/worth of group work as a whole. Thanks so much for sharing.

@jcfree that is very interesting! I think there are multiple interests in multigenerational spaces for making — like mentioned by @Lily and @shriya in the open topic area (link is here). What do you think might be the strength of multigenerational peer learning compared to uni-generational one? ? I’m asking because I’ve just assisted a workshop where elementary kids grouped by age and had a very challenging time majorly due to complex social dynamics.

Ahhh really feel your point. When I was in college, many of the courses contained group work and I did feel some groups felt more like a labor than valuable strategy. I think in classroom setting, the challenge is to how to bring people come to a similar mindset when they are coming from very different places and motivation at the first place.

Quotes I liked is First one is “Creativity and collaboration, that´s made possible when there´s an environment of trust, respect and caring” and the teacher should be a “guide on the side”. In this “creativity and collaboration” are very important words as they are mentioned in the 21st century skills. We gave exposure letting like our students feel that we really care about their feeling and thinking. It helps them feel free to learn and even to make mistakes with no regrets. It helps the students for their creations/invention innovatively. Second is “Experience is the power and the joy of peer – based learning”. If we feel the students that learning can and should be enjoyable! Then automatically student’s pays interest on their studies .This method explicit choice is to supports them for social side of learning. Now a day’s, collaboration aspects require for your carrier or social Activities. The quote makes me wonder as how in exhibit in Asian schools.

Jen both are very very good questions and I resonate a lot particularly from the immediate experience this weekend workshopping with kids in rural Japan. From the beginning of the workshop, kids said a lot, “I don’t know. Teach me.” " I can’t do this. Do this for me." I tried but largely failed to establish such culture of becoming responsible in their own time and learning. I was reflecting afterwards that it was partially due to lack of courage on adults’ side to trust kids’ ability to struggle and overcome those challenges. I also noticed that when there is already an existing culture that lacks responsibility, there needs to be something done to lighten it so kids feel safe to act beyond that culture. In my workshop kids were coming from several schools in the region but they were put together with kids in same or schools nearby in a hope that they feel comfortable and open; I think that was a wrong decision. Kids were looking each other and reinforcing each other’s passive attitude. Putting them separately might have helped the culture they had at schools a bit weak and helped kids act directly in response to what they were experiencing at the moment.

Trust is huge. I work with middle school student and they tend to be very self conscious. They also react so positively when you take them seriously and value what they are thinking and doing - not becasue it is the right answer but becasue they are genuinely thinking.

Hi Dana
Thanks for ur comment. But you are not figure out my values. If a person working under any organisation or Trust or Club .It seems, that person was one who behind the organisation or trust to run. So that. who are working under the organisation also have responsibilities as same as trust. so now I hope you to figure out my values.

I did like this:

"At the same time, we encourage adult mentors to see themselves as lifelong learners—not
just for their own sake, but as a model for youth. "

I do believe having the mindset of lifelong learners is the best way for teachers to deal with all the changes we have faced in our society, in which you need to be able to learn with students in order to engage them and get engaged, as well. In The children’s Machine, Seymour Papert describes a Logo workshop and discuss the importance of teachers seeing themselves not only by professionals who need to be trained, but also as learners who will promote learning in different ways- I think that idea connects very well with this quote :slight_smile:

I liked Jean Piaget’s quote: “When you teach a child something, you take away forever his chance of discovering it for himself.”

Mitchel Resnick encouraged this idea by blurring the lines between teaching and learning. As he described, adults can be a catalyst, a consultant, a connector and a collaborator. I wondered about an effective way to “teach” adults this new approach with less friction. Would adults respond more quickly to being instructed the way they are accustomed to learning? Could adults learn “how to learn” with a Computer Clubhouse style session where they become the students?

I like this question! I have attended instructional sessions where people “taught” about constructionist pedagogies without actually modeling them, and I personally found them ironic, and not as effective - I wonder about the differences in first, initial recruitment/attendance at a session; and then the engagement and understanding throughout; and finally the likelihood of implementing creative learning practices. If you haven’t experienced it hands-on, I would imagine it would be hard to start designing those experiences for others! Have others had experiences learning about these approaches through doing, versus more didactic formats? For those who attended education schools or programs, what were those experiences like?