LCL

[Reflection 3] Pick a Quote

From this week’s readings or video,
choose one quote that you found especially interesting or provocative.

Why did it resonate with you? How does it relate to your personal experiences?
Did it spark new ways of thinking about Passion?

Share your quote, and your thoughts!

A version of post is also available in Italiano, Português, Español, 日本語 (Japanese), עברית (Hebrew)

My Favourite, Quotes as"The force of passion is balanced by the force of interest" ~Jose Marti. What this quote articulated regarding technology and learning. Passion comes by following your heart. Interest comes by grabbing your attention. Passion can range from eager interest in or admiration for an idea.When discussing technologies to support learning and education. Persons interest plays the major role for their inventions or innovations.Is novice to get started  as“low floors” and  as by their interest create some trailblazing  or  innovative projects as  “high ceilings.” Persons interest of learning technologies make their creations more effective or innovative.
  That Quote with this scenario as i think. Because  i  realized that this one technological invention had already set a low floor and high ceiling in my own.

STAY HUNGRY, STAY FOOLISH…

Esta cita me encanta creo que resume todo en la frase, seguir hambriento de conocimiento, saber mas tener pasión por lo que día a día conocemos y sobre todo compartir y trasmitir esa pasión.

Creo que es importante orientar a nuestros alumnos, a nuestros hijos, en enseñarles simplemente a vivir, con sus ideas, con sus ilusiones, con sus sueños, sabiendo que las cosas pasan por algo, preparados para enfrentarse a los fracasos y dándoles pistas de cómo tendrán o podrán levantarse ante ellos. Con la confianza de que mirar hacia atrás les dará soluciones, explicando que no merece la pena que intenten volver y con la seguridad de que, mirando el hoy y el mañana, construirán una vida basada en los mensajes que les mande su corazón e intuición.
Debemos introducir en su vocabulario este tipo de palabras y que comiencen a aplicarlas cuanto antes: intuición, corazonada, deseos, vocación, amar… ¿De qué les sirve conocer palabras como emprendimiento si no sabrán cómo llevarlo a cabo?

Para mi esta frase recoge en esencia eso y mas, cuando nos dedicamos enseñar fundamentar vuscar de trasmitir esa pasión a nuestros estudiantes…
S,P

“When they go to work they’ll have to do what they are told.” is in Hard Fun where Papert quotes a teacher who objects to letting children write about what they like. I think this stuck with me because of how contrary to the passion theme of this week. Sometimes, in work, you are required to do things when you rather not. Papert agrees with this and makes an important distinction about teaching kids to write or teaching kids about self-control.
Good leaders, in my opinion, have a skill with making the repugnant tasks important or relevant. That helps with things you don’t want to do. When I am trying to learn something it feels impossible when I am aware of how much I don’t like the subject matter and can’t see the relevance.

The quote that resonated with me the most was “An investment in interest always pays off with the best
knowledge.” When I’m working to create new activities for students learn from I often focus on what I want them to get out of the activity and not what would motivate them to put their best effort into the activity. Now, I’m wondering how I can change this mindset to creating more open-ended activities that lead students towards learning important topics without stifling their interest and creativity.

The quote that I found especially interesting or provocative is “Passion is the fuel that drives the immersion-reflection cycle”.
I beleive that Passion must be present in our daily activities. In my point of view, this is a must. With passion we can develop tasks nas activities with hard-fun.

I did like this one:

“But it’s also important for people to step back and reflect on their experiences. Through
reflection, people make connections among ideas, develop a deeper understanding of which
strategies are the most productive, and become better prepared to transfer what they’ve learned
to new situations in the future”

I found very interesting how Mitch emphasizes the importance of reflecting connected with immersions. I do believe constructing artifacts is important, but I feel like sometimes reflection is not considered in the process - as in the “keychain syndrome” (read more about it here). Diving in and stepping back are complementary in the creative process :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

Seymour Papert’s " Low floors" and “High ceilings” added with another dimension “wide walls” is an interesting quote for me because it is the pattern I follow for my primary and middle school children. The apprehension of “Low floors” aims at complete understanding of the to do list and “High ceilings” motivates the cognitive skills to enhance the project. With “Wide walls” the boundary of the cognitive learning approach is widened.

I found the following statement extremely helpful:

“If the projects are all similar to one another, we feel that something has gone wrong; the walls weren’t wide enough.”

Part of its strength rests, I think, in its simplicity. It also made me think of how instructors and students can partner to widen walls (where widening the walls becomes a goal of the exercise for students, and not only for the instructor).

Students so often feel the need to conform and, I’ve found, opportunities to easily share work for peer-feedback and reassurance before submitting can (at times, but too often) lead to a narrowing of creativity, rather than a deeper sense of freedom to experiment.

If we can build this perspective into the student mindset (whether through instructional design, rubrics, instructor presence, etc.), we can work with students to widen walls.

Reading the Papert chapter Hard Fun brought to mind the understanding that knowledge requires sustained memories which are created in the process of overcoming challenges.

I set up intentionally hard fun challenges for my students because it is in their deliberate processes to solve the hard fun challenges (a combination of directed curiosity, creativity in thinking, ingenuity in application, and grit) that creates the glue to knowledge retention.

With hard fun we learn, not just for the moment, but to retain the nugget of knowledge so we can apply it to the next challenge.

@adelmo_eloy In LCL and elsewhere, I have also heard many educators, especially those in informal learning spaces mentioning the realization of lack of reflection in their spaces. I think your question on in-process reflection is a super important one we should explore. I wonder anyone have good examples??

@Jen that’s really an important point. thanks for bringing that up. having worked with kids in Japan, where I feel the norm of being similar to others is even stronger, working together with students to set the norm of “wide wall is a good thing” at the beginning is truly necessary. Showing varieties of examples and highlighting different contributions are the two strategies for me but curious how others approach this!

Todd - I am really interested in what you’re bringing up here, about how passion interacts with (or should be separated from) “self-control,” and doing things you aren’t interested in. It reminds me of something that @Anandita_Aggarwal brought up in the “Pick a P” thread a week ago…

“Does everyone have a passion, how do you resist passion from becoming work? Can you work in a field that you’re passionate about and not dread it at the end of the day?”

I wonder what the relationship is between passion and obligation - if you lack agency when interacting with something, even if it’s something you find interesting, does that remove the benefits of “passion” in terms of motivation? Do we sometimes lose our passions because they are no longer situated in “hard fun” circumstances? Is there some risk of this happening in learning environments? How would we avoid that?

Also, I am curious to hear more about what you think in terms of how leaders make tasks relevant for staff or learners! How have people helped you in seeing the relevance and connections of tasks to your interests?

“At one point, a teacher from a local school came to visit the Clubhouse, and she was shocked to see one of her students working on a 3-D animation project. She said that he was always goofing off in the classroom. She’d never seen him working so hard”.

I chose this quote because I’ve heard similar things when I’ve worked with students on Scratch or some other element of coding/making because they see the kids are so engaged. But sometimes that comment is followed up with a question about whether what we’re doing is really more like play and not real work. What I see is what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has called Flow - students so engaged in an activity, that they lose themselves in it because there is balance between what they are capable of and the challenge they are tackling all grounded in their passion. I’m lucky that I am a CS integrator, so I don’t really teach my own class and even when I do, it does feel more like play than work, but I also know students are working hard. I wonder why it’s so difficult to transfer this approach/feeling into other subject areas.

“At first, some youth interests might seem to be trivial or shallow, but with the right support
and encouragement, youth can build up networks of knowledge related to their interests.” This is along the lines of “you don’t know what you don’t know”. This quote reminded me of so many learning experiences with students who were tinkering with tech, ‘found’ an idea, developed a plan, followed a path and dug into some solid technology/CS knowledge building.

It also evokes the ‘guide on the side’ concept of teaching vs. the ‘sage on the stage’, allowing students significant freedom to explore but knowing when to guide and/or encourage.

Agreed!

“When people work on projects that they are interested in, it seems pretty obvious that they’ll
be more motivated and willing to work longer and harder— but that’s not all. Their passion and
motivation make them more likely to connect with new ideas and develop new ways of thinking”

Isso é indiscutível!! todos os assuntos podem seres agradáveis se for pensado a melhor forma de interação com seu publico.

“Different children, have different Passions”

although this one is a simple quote it is something simple to keep in mind when we are “grading” the children, there needs to be taken in account the Wide Walls and have an understanding (and encouragement) to diversity in the way a lesson is conducted. “I think the children really appreciate the aspect of following an order” said someone I knew. I was thinking “well, yes it gets them started but expecting a cookie-cutter result in all work doesn’t make sense,” Allowing the children different forms of expression in a project is a lot like the creation of making art, the only bad art there is, is one where there is no effort !

Thanks Lily, The interaction of passion with self-control topic reminds me a bit of a recent Udemy course I have been working on, Colt Steele’s The Web Developer Bootcamp, he talks about the beginning of learning javascript and how its a lot of abstract exercises before it gets back into building fun and interesting projects again after spending the early parts of the course building exactly that. The point he made was that yes, they might feel tedious, but we are laying down the foundation of basic javascript syntax and structure. I
eventually pulled myself through, although it took me a lot longer to get through that part of the course than any other part. The payoff when I started getting to build a simple app that used the new skills, it was incredibly satisfying.

It strikes me that front-loading on the subject matter is important to get a learner to the next level but there has to be some light at the tunnel and it helps if the learner and the mentor have built some trust beforehand. In my example, there were fun things in the course at the beginning I trusted that I will get to do more fun things in the future.

One of my favorite bosses was able to make a majority of what she asked me to do feel like initiatives that we both had a stake in and that it would build to a larger goal of learning from or building to a milestone. For example, a data processing task on how many people used a program, the goal might be to prove relevance to a potential sponsor or funder. The task was boring but the reward was future potential in the program. Over time, we had a level of trust built, It would become easier to assume why tasks were important and I felt more comfortable asking for clarification on why we might do some things and not others.

“In evaluating the success of our technologies and workshops, one of our main criteria is the diversity of projects that people create. If the projects are all similar to one another, we feel that something has gone wrong; the walls weren’t wide enough.”

I love the idea of “Wide Walls” and adding it in as a crucial component along with Low Floors & High Ceilings. I distinctly remember elementary school “crafts” (in quotes for a reason) that we did every holiday where every kid was given the same little plastic bag of the same exact materials and we were all supposed to make the same thing. I often got rebellious and made something that was prettier than the example, but sometimes teachers or other adults helping out would think I was confused and try to bring me back on track -_- It’s kind of like Paint Nites that adults go to; there’s this idea that many people (who I consider closed-minded) have that if everyone is given too much freedom, they’ll “mess up” or they’re “confused” rather than enjoying & creating. It’s more challenging to design projects & exercises that allow for freedom, but it’s much more fulfilling to experience them.