LCL

[Reflection 1] Pick a P

I’m interested in Passion!:star_struck:
My junior high school teacher emphasized passion.
I felt that it was very important to do school events.
In all things, passion becomes the driving force of action.
And I think that will nurture creativity.

When I was a senior in college, about to embark on my senior project, we started the first part of the semester by doing an art marathon—do 25 pieces in 25 days. There was a list of things to make, including portrait, sculpture, paint a found object, etc…we had a critique at the end to see which ones stood out.

Perhaps consider making a list of any number of challenges (either of media or theme) to get them started, and then see what happens.

(In retrospect, my 25 weren’t anything noteworthy, but it got me making stuff…the critique was helpful, especially seeing the original art that my peers came up with…the breakthrough I had for my own project came when I was taking a break from my original idea for my project and was messing around with some watercolor sketches)

I pick Passion!
Passion can drive the creative process.
With Passion I can Play with Projects and share it with other People.
:grinning:

I’m like Gwyn, although all the P’s are important, I am interested in the Projects. How are can they be set up to be engaging, memorable and authentic for K-12 students.

Very thoughtful points rl777! I think as we get older we mainly forget about playfulness. And I agree, that play IS play no matter where it occurs. Our school division also hosts Nature-Based Kindergarten and we see the importance of it due to society not spending as much time outdoors (with younger children) as in the past few decades.

Passion is my P!
I think that with passion, the other P’s follow - the desire for play, the commitment to a project and it allows you to find peers who share your passion!

Especially in a post-secondary environment, the passion is what seems to give students the focus and drive to get through the tough bits.

I’m most drawn to the idea of “play” as a pedagogical strategy because, as an upper elementary teacher, I felt fairly successful addressing “projects” and “peers” within the confines of my regular classroom instruction, and “passions” through additional enrichment activities I created for my students. But given the current structure and demands of our public education system, I often felt pressured to take the shortest path from A-to-B, which limited opportunities for playful exploration. I incorporated games and creative activities into my teaching, but there was always this question of whether or not students were “on task,” and how much play would be required until they would be able to apply this knowledge on a paper and pencil test to demonstrate their mastery of a set of standards. So I guess what I’m really interested in thinking about is how play might come to serve as an end unto itself as opposed to a means to an end when it comes to K12 public education.

As I was going through the week’s readings, I highlighted the 3 quotes:
Chen Jining: “They’re eager to define their own problems rather than simply solve the ones in the textbook.” from Ch.1
Mitchel Resnick: "they learn to develop their own ideas, … " from Ch.1
Seymour Papert: “First, I remember that no one told me to learn about differential gears.” from Gears of my Childhood.
These 3 quotes just remind me of how important to know, find or create things that matter to us. That is, actually, P for Passion!:slight_smile:
I personally find it very hard to notice these things, so Passion actually outweighed the others a little though it was really difficult to pick:grinning:

Similar thoughts here though I finally decided that Passion is a little more important because I am really having a hard time exploring what my passions are:):grinning:

I hear you! Passion is probably the hardest to put into practice out of the 4 Ps.

Davida, I agree with you that passion is the most important. I think that the other three are important ways to get to passion. With passion, all things are possible, and without it tasks become much more difficult and tiresome.

Which of the 4P’s (Projects, Passion, Peers and Play) are you particularly curious or excited about, and why?

Out of the four, I am most interested in play. Play is the aspect that I’ve experienced the least in my education since kindergarten and I haven’t thought of it as an area of development before. Even though they aren’t always implemented well, I’ve heard that doing projects and working with others are important. Also, especially in higher education, students get some freedom to choose classes and projects that they’re interested in. However, I have never heard of a classroom whose main focused was on play or exploration. Usually, there are metrics that students have to adhere to to get a good grade, and they don’t always allow room for creativity.

Os quatro P’s são importantes , projeto, paixão, parcerias e pensar brincando devem estar juntos isso vai proporcionar o brincar. Uma brincadeira que tem direcionamento. Estou ansioso em entender e aplicar e ver os resultados dessa metodologia. O que muitos colegas mencionam acredito que irá se realizar. Quero brincar novamente e com todos.

Last round I choose Passion as my P, but after finishing my first ever experience teaching little kids, I started realizing that Play is the key to form passion. So, I’d like to explore more about Play this time.

I would say Passion is one of the P’s I am excited about.

This has been something I have always been confused about and would like to dive deeper into.
Does everyone have a passion, how do you resist passion from becoming work? Can you work in a field that you’re passionate about and not dread it at the end of the day?

These are some of the questions I would like to get answered in the coming weeks.

Respondendo por mim, a paixão. Quando há paixão há crescimento. Desde muito cedo sabia o que queria ser quando crescesse. hoje sou um adulto, mas aquela criança entusiasta por música nunca morreu, está aqui e agora, sonhando e escrevendo esse depoimento.

It seems like this has come up many times in this thread but I think the P I’d most like to dive deeper into is Play. I am a high school Outdoor Ed teacher and much of what we do is play and exploration based, which I think is incredibly important, especially with older students who don’t necessarily get exposed to it or get a chance to play very often anymore. What I’d like to learn specifically is how can I harness the Play that we do to really get the most out of it?

I am interested in passion and how children connect with it. I would like to help children spark a passion for something meaningful they can sustain into adulthood. In this way, children will not have to spend their adult lives, “finding their passion.” They will always have it with them.

I agree. Passion helps one’s ability to stay with a challenge. I always work longer on a problem when I am passionate about the subject.