LCL

[Reflection 1] Pick a P

I get excited when I think about PLAY. Play was a very important part of my childhood and now a days I think that kind of play is getting less relevant. In the present decads many methodologies are trying to give more importance to PLAY, not only in the early years but also in the primary school teaching-learning instances.
I love teaching while playing!!!
play

looks like a great read!
Just put it on hold at the local library :slight_smile:

Play… Passion… Project… All better with Peers!

I think the key is sharing. Sharing a passion can make it grow, but can also allow the development of new facets. Teaching a game to a friend or playing with him stimulates creativity, communication, openness to others. Similarly, a shared project is fed by everyone’s ideas, their problem-solving strategies and the originality of the teammates.

Learning to create together is great!

I’m most interested in “play” right now. Adults that love what they do use this word frequently (“I just play all day!”), but they are the exception not the norm. How do we help everyone maintain and value play regardless of what they are doing?

I love Cal Newport! Deep Work is more densely packed than “So Good” though so I would recommend that one too

I like to learn more about Play. My focus is on helping young kids and their parents who want to do STEAM projects together. How can we help parents who aren’t used to be a facilitator? Some parents don’t know how to play with their kids in these situations. How can we help parents develop a more playful mindset?

Definitely projects is where my interest lies. I am committed to creating a learning environment where creative, critical, caring and collaborative thinking is encouraged. I would like to explore how projects can be explored within an existing curriculum where children are given the opportunity to develop their passions and create a love of learning, while maintaining enquiring minds.

I am most interested in passion. Have you ever heard the term “flow?” It is something I feel sometimes when I am creating lessons… when my lessons are at their best… and I am totally “into” what I am doing. I remember reading in Little Women that Joe, the writer of the family, was completely immersed in the writing process… in a “passion” as it were.

I am very interested in fostering creativity in my students that allows them to feel “flow.”

I missed this reflection. I choose play. I am very interested in play because it is so valuable and yet consistently challenged as to its value. If play is not a part of learning, what are we doing? When students of all ages play, they tend to be more engaged and experience higher levels of motivation and interest.

:slight_smile: It’s one of my favorite books!

Yes I would agree! I think Deep Work has some more actionable advice in it. So Good They Can’t Ignore You is a lot more anecdotally based, but the stories do their job and illustrate his hypothesis really well.

I am definitively very excited about continuing to learn how to cultivate Play, both as applied to the work I am looking to create and also in my own life. I find that Play is something that I have to keep working at to incorporate in my everyday life because my duties can tend to be constrained by bureaucratic considerations and by the loudness of life.

Example of Play after a busy day: UCI @ Night on my way home -

Hi Shriya, I totally agree with you. The curse of “perfectionism” and fear of failure are such an issue, not just for students, but also for teachers and parents. Finding spaces where one can truly experiment is really difficult in real life.

Acredito que potencializar o desenvolvimento de competências em estudantes de engenharia passa necessariamente pelo desenvolvimento de projetos ainda na escola de engenharia.

Thanks for your post about flow, a great concept to bring into LCL. I was introduced to the concept of flow in graduate school and started observing times and experiences that flow occurred in my own life. I try to design learning engagements that will allow students to find their flow. I appreciate the research of Csikszentmihalyi https://www.edutopia.org/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-motivating-people-learn.

Thank you for sharing the article. I watched his TED talk earlier today.

This is such a hard choice! While I’d prefer to explore all 4 and how they, together, can create optimal learning experiences, I’m going to pick Play. I work in higher ed and, until recently, have been teaching courses that have been designed by others. I am now on the designing end and want to explore how I can incorporate Play into the curriculum and instructional design choices. This will be fun (a type of play for me) and, hopefully, will lead to better learning outcomes for students.

I’m most curious about how we can design experiences that are equal parts play, equal parts fun, and equal parts learning for all students. I am developing curriculum for students (and a culture) that are new to me. So, all kinds of new questions are coming to mind (i.e., do views of play differ across cultures, etc.)

Thanks for the opportunity and for letting me think out loud. I’m very glad to be here.

Your point about helping “adults get comfortable with the word play as something for them” is well noted. Even more challenging (I have found) is getting adults comfortable with play as a learning opportunity (and not simply a reward for when work is done). A fun challenge, for sure! Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

I just happened upon this article from the New York Times - “Let the Kids Learn Through Play.” I found it most interesting. As always, I found the Readers’ Comments - both pro and con - most illuminating. In particular, the NYT Picks.

There is also this - Robin Hood Forest Kindergarten. While this form of play might be considered an antidote or necessary counterbalance to the overwhelming artificiality and non-naturalness of the world which children generally inhabit and to the degree to which they are immersed in the technological, are there any lessons here that might be applied to the creative technological classroom, especially as regards learning STEAM material? Can this degree of playfulness, spontaneity and exuberance be transferred to the STEAM classroom?

One might quite rightly say that play is play, irrespective of whether that play is outdoors or indoors, in the natural world or in a built classroom. And that a great deal of playfulness, spontaneity and exuberance is on display in many classrooms throughout the world. I’m just wondering if there is anything to be learned from comparing and contrasting the nature of play in these two different types of environments.

Maybe the greatest lesson to be learned here, perhaps the only lesson, the principle to be applied, is to create and give kids a rich “technological forest” inside the space in question and then to turn them loose, leaving them to their own devices.