LCL

[Reflection 1] Pick a P

A paixão que incentiva, motiva a busca, auxilia no desenvolvimento de algo que pode ser um projeto, um jogo e contando também com a ajuda dos pares em um trabalho colaborativo, cooperativo.

:heart_eyes:
Passion
I’ve never tought under the perspective that when you love something, you spend more time on that, you make a higher effort and you get more envolve to it.
Next time I teach, I’ll try to stimulate passion from my students to what I’m teaching and check the different in their approach and development.

I want to investigate more “Play.” I teach elementary students and love how much my students learn with projects, songs, poems, movement, tinkering, etc. BUT I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface and would love to learn from this community. So excited to find new and innovative ways to help my little guys learn more deeply and LOVE the process.

The P I am most interested in is Passion, how do we nurture passion in our education system.

I have been giving a lot of thought to peers lately. So little of what I do is mine; everything I touch has been passed to me, and will go back to my peers. The passion, projects, and play of my peers is often an inspiration to me as I explore my own interests, and it is through interaction with my peers that my own P’s are given context. I want to be mindful of my impact on my peers, and work towards goals that are inspiring to those around me.

I find the 4P interesting though i think they don’t have the same impact.
The Passion is the strongest when you have it you do not need the other three to motivate you. If you do not have passion for something you need to learn, play, peers and projects can act as motivating agent to engage in learning.
I agree with you @angela_brown, Higher Education suffers from stressful overwhelming overload in which students are just trying to keep their head above the stream of tests. assignments and projects while getting good grades and real profound learning is impaired

I think you are right bringing play into Higher Education is very important

I also totally agree with @lnhayden about the importance of helping young people find their passions and identify them.

I think I’ll pick Passion. Passion allowes you to overcome obstacles and to even experience pleasure in doing so. So, because learning is a process which is naturally full of obstacles, I think we need a lot of passion to face it.

Playing with Play

I choose play as it's probably one of the most controversial of the P's on the list. In my experience working in informal and formal educational systems, I notice conflict with some who want a familiar "teach me the thing" demonstration style experience, which has its place. To the experiences that are considered play and fun that are put into a different category of frivolous by many parents and teachers.

For example, kids on a field trip to the science centre are often asked by their teachers to fill out a worksheet "scavenger hunt" to prove what they have learned. A slight change to this where kids are given a sketchbook and asked to reflect on one of the exhibits. One has kids looking for and recording information the sketchbook adds processing information, often using art skills, which is often more fun.

I think about a definition for play in a mechanical system where something is designed to be loose or dynamic so that it can fulfill a purpose. Play is important in learning because it allows a number of qualities that wouldn't be possible in an overly rigid structure.

What do you think about playful things being undervalued?

Para mi sera Proyectos.

Me gustaría ampliar mas el tema de los proyectos, para llevar a cabo en la educación.

Cal Newport has a great book called “So Good They Can’t Ignore You” where he explores his hypothesis that telling kids to “follow their passion” is bad advice. I would highly recommend reading or listening to this book.

I’m interested in “peers”

I hated group work when I was a student. I was always very frustrated when I was stuck with groupmates who were unreliable or unmotivated. Especially when my grade, or my presentation in front of my peers depended on it.

I know that collaboration is important for students. It teaches life skills, it’s good practice for when you face the same situation in your workplace: you’re working on a big project and not everyone is pulling their weight. What do you do?

However, I also think that frustration can lead to negative learning experiences and overshadow the important life skills being taught.

I would like to think more/learn more about how we can rework group projects to create a positive experience. How do we give students the tools to successfully complete a group project without providing too much structure and encouraging those important social peer to peer interactions?

I am interested in PASSION.
Among the 4 Ps, I feel that Passion is the most important fuel, and the rest of the 3 Ps are something that accelerates the passion.
But now to ignite the passion is something that is very difficult… we often hear that people lacks passion, and even for adults many people don’t know what they like to do and gets drifted along in the society. And one of the reason might be that during their childhood the passion part is not being igited.
Will be very interested to learn and hear about how passion could be ignited.

Ahh… this is impossible to pick. The 4 Ps work together in such a dynamic and intertwined way… My initial reaction was passion, because it was always pictured as the deep source of power and motivation for growth. But passion doesn’t come out of nowhere. It comes from… maybe a playful encounter with something interesting; it gets intensified by projects that take you on a upward spiral in terms of mastery and sense of progress; we all know, it always work best when you have others to share it with. I suppose my answer would be I’m most interested in how the 4 Ps work together to make the creative learning process.

I am excited to learn more about passion.

I am at a new school this year and have a few boys who are challenging to motivate. I think learning more about what they are passionate about might help. It is also possible, since they are so young, that they do not know what they are passonate about outside of video gaming.

I echo the sentiments of those who say it’s hard to pick. Let me just express a few of my thoughts about play. Given that the physical space in which my students will engage in play is a traditional four-walled classroom, I am interested in how to best configure the space and with what things to populate the space in order to promote and support rewarding play. I recently read an article in the New York Times about a school in Germany that provides a woodlands area in which the young children play. (I will come back and edit this post with the link to the article). The play Is unsupervised. The children are left to their own. devices and inclinations. Each child is given only one thing . . . a pocket knife.

Forgive the digression. I of course would be populating my space with different kinds of things to support play. Play would be a balance of directed/influenced and non-directed activity. The very choice of things to place in the classroom would both enable in constrain what they were able to do. As I am teaching (trying to) electricity and electronics to fifth graders, my choice of thingzs would reflect that. However, given that it is an after-school STEAM class and I am not teaching to the test, and the students are not graded, their exploration domain can be rather large and varied. So my initial challenge is to design and populate the space given its physical constraints (my classroom is fortunately a large open space but it was certainly not designed for STEAM activity) and budget constraints.

P for Play!

I used to be all about serious-mindedness. It made me stiff in conversations, and close-minded in learning situations. I could simply not apply new concepts to existing models in my head (similar to the process that Papert refers to in his essay). This made me uncomfortable, because I’m a curious, adventurous person at heart, who was taught/coached/conditioned to be serious-minded.

So, I broke out of it. I learned to take on a playful attitude - in play, there are no mistakes or embarrassments. In play, there is no room for humiliation or the ‘right way’ to do things. In play, there are always second chances, another round, and the acknowledgement of better luck. There are skills that can be improved, scores that can rise and fall, and victory is never permanent. Playfulness also engenders connection - nobody wants to be around a person with a stiff upper lip for too long (I learned that the hard way, and I continue to learn my lesson as I embrace playfulness more and more).

So yes - play! <3

Play is a classic, I mean let’s be honest even as adults we all like to play in our own ways…My play as a 23 year old student is to go dancing, something about this makes me think how play is almost like the the sort that comes as a result of intellectual humor such as Plato or Sartre. These philosophers “played” around with concept and ideas and found humor even in the banest of human reality! As mankind, we NEED humor or ‘play’ to be reasonable people.

I am interested in Passion. When you recognize passion in your students, how do you encourage him/her to have more? How do you relate each students’ passion to your class? When your student does not show any passion at all, how do you analyze the situation? How do you incorporate your own passion to your teaching style? and so on.

I love all 4 Ps but the one that has me the most curious (and eager to learn more) is the Peers element. Passion, Play and Project I understand, but Peers. How do we deal with Peers who are not supportive, for instance? Or are we to approach this question with the understanding that the Peers ARE supportive?
I suppose it’s all too easy to be discouraged when others don’t understand or share our enthusiasm (Passion) for something (Project) and then Play can fall by the wayside.
Peers is a bit of a sticking point for me. But perhaps this comes down to personality and sensitivity of the individual rather than the 4 Ps themselves? I just find it hard to separate the individual from the 4 Ps. :slight_smile:

Play.
How many times haven’t we heard: quit playing! It isn’t time for that now?? Play as a synonym for lack of discipline and rules. We have many uses for the word play. And in portuguese, my mother language, we can translate play to very different verbs. In the article, we read we had play as a synonymn for manipulation as when we introduce new elements into a story.
However, the most intriguing for me is how to conduct as an educator the play.
How to conduct a play that is learning - centered with appropriate rules that lead to learning and not as synonym for lack of rules and discipline, which, for me, is the opposite of play since every game has its own rules.