LCL

[Reflection 1] Pick a P

This week we are going to reflect on the core ideas of Creative Learning by playing with the 4P’s.

Which of the 4P’s (Projects, Passion, Peers and Play) are you particularly curious or excited about, and why?

If you have done this activity before, it would be very interesting to hear which of the P’s you chose last time. Would you would pick a different one this time? Why?

Pick your P and share your thoughts by replying to this post!

A previous version of this post is also available in Italiano (Italian), Português (Portuguese), Spanish, and 日本語(Japanese)

listed #2

I am interested in Projects. I would like to learn how to integrate the curriculum in project based learning.

I’m interested in Projects, too. I find that when I work on projects they tend to generate other projects. Eventually a spin off project becomes the main concentration. It’s like a flowering. You can always go back to a project closer to the root and follow a different branch.

I am also interested in Projects and feel like I explore them frequently through my visual art curriculum; however, I think I’m most interested in Play. I’m curious as to how I can help my senior level art students (gr. 11-12) play through their project-based learning experiences. What could that look like? Would that mean that students are prompted to explore media or techniques before being given any instruction? It would be interesting to try that approach and to have students reflect on their experiences. If anyone has tried something like this I would love to know more.

While I find all four P’s intriguing, I’m most interested in Play - and specifically, what it takes to create play opportunities for adults. And equally important, how do we help adults get comfortable with the word play as something for them, not just ‘for kids’. I’d like play to become normalized for all ages and not just for special occasions (ie - visiting family on holidays), but something to be done more regularly. Looking forward to learning and discussing more.

I would like to know more about projects. As a teacher sometimes I find myself feeling frustrated because as much as I want to include projects into my teaching it is hard to find projects that match the curriculum.

This sounds like exactly what I would write in response! Having seen my children go through an excellent play-centred kindergarten, but watching, as they get older, learning become less and less playful I feel worried. My 10 year old is just on the edge of starting to become self-conscious about play unless she is alone with her younger brother. I feel play in adulthood and adult learning is a missing element.

In my own experiences working in higher education where I see extremely stressed students, I just think bringing play into adult learning and life could address so many issues for adult students. I feel like higher education, in particular, has created a culture of learning where being stressed, having mental health issues exacerbated by huge workloads and exam conditions is now so normal, we don’t even see what we are missing. I hope play can help us turn that culture of serious adult learning around and start to show that smiling is the best measure of learning.

The P that stands out to me the most is Passion.
How do you identify and grow passions? Is there a difference between hobbies and passions? Furthermore, can a passion be something somewhat abstract or intangible? For example, a passion could be “music” or a passion could be “learning new things”. One is fairly straightforward while the latter could take on many forms.

With that in mind, how do we teach children the difference between a hobby and a passion?
I find this particularly relevant at a later age, when I was often given the career advice to “follow my passions”. When I was 18, my hobby was theatre and music. Are those passions?
The things I liked best about theatre and music were bringing pleasure to others through performance, and working as part of a team to create a beautiful piece of art. Now I do not perform regularly, but have found ways to channel those passions into my professional work in a corporate setting through teamwork and business presentations.

The Papert reading also begins to raise questions of passion when he speaks about his interest in gears. While one could say he had a passion for gears or automobiles, I believe that his passion was actually in understanding relations. Papert is the father of constructionism, which is about creating knowledge through connecting ideas together. Gears serve a similar purpose; to connect and move two objects.

What kind of activities can encourage children to find the reasons they find passion in their hobbies?

pinned #10

Hi,
I’m interested in doing projects .Why because ? Normally, Until we finish the projects or before we start the project , We are used to search about that topic. By doing this way, We can get new ideas in a different view , Also it is helpful for us to bring up innovations.
When i work on the project, i used to collecting relevant information and Existing ideas of other relevant projects . Especially pros and cons of the project. It helps me to learn more and bring my project to be more effective.
By seeing the other projects also we can get new ideas.Is my opinion was that is “Project based learning” is one of the way to bring up the students in a different line.By giving the projects to the students is helpful to learn new things by themselves.

Of all the 4P’s, I am interested in Passion. Passion is the energy that keeps us going, that keeps us filled with meaning, happiness, excitement and anticipation. It is a powerful force in accomplishing anything you set your mind to achieve and in experiencing work & life to the fullest extent possible. Ultimately, passion is the driving force behind success and happiness that allows us all to live better lives.

My work revolves around project-based learning with creative technology. I’m interested in introducing playfulness in a way that helps the students let go of what they’re usually measured for at school, and get carried away with something crazy, funny, or something that would be even considered “useless” in their normal schoolwork. It’s harmful to always think about what is expected from you, and what is useful in that sense. Building inner motivation can take time and small, playful steps are good way to get there. Learning takes place during those small steps as well, even if and especially because you don’t constantly pay attention to what the outcome is supposed to be.

I am curious about PASSION. How do we know what the learners are passionate about. Also what if the learners passion is not related to what we aim to teach

I wanna find my Passion. I’ve been searching this item in my life to start projects, to enjoy the time by creative way.

Passion is the one for me. I’m particularly interested in how to setup and curate a learning experience that allows learners to bring their own passions into the experience and is flexible enough that they can learn in the context of that personal passion.

I am curious about Passion. How do we uncover what sparks Passion and encourage developing and pursuing it, in ourselves and especially children we influence?

Play.
Students loose the ability to play. Self censorship and fear of what others will say takes over,damping creativity. Students begin to think there is a “right” way and ignore other possibilities. If we can keep play alive, we can keep creativity.

I started the first session of LCL in the fall and am back to finish it!

Then I chose play and mentioned peers. Right now I’m most interested in Peers! I spent a lot of time thinking about play and incorporating it into my everyday life. I work as a film editor, so most of what I do is project based. Coming into projects with a more playful attitude has improved both the quality of my work and how I feel when I’m working!
Peers!! How does forming relationships and collaborating on a project affect how we learn? What are some benefits of working together on a common goal? Are there disadvantages? What are some ways to integrate individual learning and group learning on a single project?
In the film world (and I assume most creative fields), every project is a collaboration. Good collaboration is dependent on trust and communication, the foundation of a healthy relationship. But there’s also a culture of competition and a lot of ego that sometimes gets in the way of progressing on a project.
I’m curious to learn about contributing to a more collaborative culture and the importance of peers in creative learning!

Which of the 4P’s (Projects, Passion, Peers and Play) are you particularly curious or excited about, and why?

I’m most interested in Play.

I’ve found myself becoming more insecure and stuck in my own abilities after making the transition from high school to college, and although I’ve worked to overcome some of it since graduating, there are many remnants left.

I think that once people get in a perfectionist mindset and begin to fear failure or “stupidity”, it takes a lot of work to break that and go back to a playful and experimental mindset, and back to a growth mindset.

I’m excited to learn more about what “Play” really means and how we can embrace our playful side. How to use tools to guide our creativity instead of to intimidate and scare us, and how we can approach everything with a childlike sense of wonder rather than an adult’s sense of fear.